HSBC Premier Accounts

Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:47 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HSBC Premier Accounts

We are looking into opening a HSBC Premier Account in Canada which can them be transferred to the UK. I have read mixed reviews notably from getoutofbritainquick. The manager assures us it would be a smooth transition however has anyone else gone through this? thanks
Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Albert_dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HSBC Premier Accounts

We did it from the US. It took a couple of months but we are very pleased with how things are working out.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:03 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Albert_dock
We did it from the US. It took a couple of months but we are very pleased with how things are working out.
Thank you - we have decided this is the best option from Canada as the TD Bank will not permit wire transfers unless we fly back to Canada. They require a wet signature......
Old Aug 20th 2021, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albert_dock
Our son also did it from the US before he moved back to the UK in 2017. He was also pleased how well it worked out even though it took a couple of months.

We already had a UK HSBC account but opened a US HSBC account before we moved back in 2016. Our existing US bank did not support overseas customers so we opened a US HSBC account and redirected pensions and brokerage account to it.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Durham Lad, I opened an USA HSBC premier account and then a UK account . I'm back in UK as primary residence but my HSBC accounts have USA as primary residence. I'm wondering whether I should have my pension deposited in the USA HSBC account and transfer money to UK as needed or if it would be better to have my pension deposited into the UK HSBC account . Any thoughts about possible fees and which is best way to go? Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Hi Durham Lad, I opened an USA HSBC premier account and then a UK account . I'm back in UK as primary residence but my HSBC accounts have USA as primary residence. I'm wondering whether I should have my pension deposited in the USA HSBC account and transfer money to UK as needed or if it would be better to have my pension deposited into the UK HSBC account . Any thoughts about possible fees and which is best way to go? Thanks
The fees will definitely depend on how your pension sends your pension to your UK bank and I would suspect the fees will be higher than Wise. I don't have that option so my US pensions go to my US HSBC account. My wife has requested that her US SS be deposited directly into her HSBC UK account so once that starts to happen I will be able to compare that against Wise. US SS is supposed to be fee free from everything I have read about
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

I have had HSBC Premier accounts in Canada and the UK for around 15 years. My family and I recently returned to the UK to retire and I applied to get a UK Premier Account credit card which was declined. I contacted HSBC and was told by the rep. at their on line banking to re-apply in 6 months when I had built up some credit history despite having a substantial amount of capital in my accounts.
You do not appear to be able to speak with anyone in person about a Premier account at a local HSBC bank and I was told it had to be done by telephone banking.
I submitted a formal complaint stating that their own UK Premier Account benefits brochure states that they will transfer your Canadian credit history. That was 5 weeks ago and the issue has still not been resolved. The list email I got from them a week or so ago stated this is not what you want to hear but we are still looking into your case!
Anyone else had similar problems with HSBC UK? Very disappointed with them and finding them very unprofessional.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:17 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I have had HSBC Premier accounts in Canada and the UK for around 15 years. My family and I recently returned to the UK to retire and I applied to get a UK Premier Account credit card which was declined. I contacted HSBC and was told by the rep. at their on line banking to re-apply in 6 months when I had built up some credit history despite having a substantial amount of capital in my accounts.
You do not appear to be able to speak with anyone in person about a Premier account at a local HSBC bank and I was told it had to be done by telephone banking.
I submitted a formal complaint stating that their own UK Premier Account benefits brochure states that they will transfer your Canadian credit history. That was 5 weeks ago and the issue has still not been resolved. The list email I got from them a week or so ago stated this is not what you want to hear but we are still looking into your case!
Anyone else had similar problems with HSBC UK? Very disappointed with them and finding them very unprofessional.
thanks for the heads up. We could face that problem as well but at least we can get access to cash. How are things going?
Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
thanks for the heads up. We could face that problem as well but at least we can get access to cash. How are things going?
we are very happy with our new life in Cornwall. Our house purchase in Looe went very well with minor issues in the process.
The weather started off lousy but has since been very sunny and warm which has given us some beach time.
Our first impressions:-

​​​​​​- food and wine is far cheaper and better quality than Canada. We find Morrison’s great.
- fish and chips, Indian food!
- country pubs.
- house and content insurance was ridiculously cheap compared to Canada as well as was car insurance.
- people have been so friendly since we arrived especially our new neighbors as our container appears to be stuck in Vancouver!
- we quickly adapted back to the British culture which we truly missed in Canada.
- reconnecting with family and friends.
- amazing views of Looe harbour from our deck.
- retirement after 43 years service.

The surprises and not so good:-
​​​​​
- HSBC bank declining credit card application.
- credit history problems despite having substantial capital and cash. Paid for a house and car cash but could not get a cell phone or SIM only contract!
- getting used to tiny country roads and lanes again was especially harrowing in Cornwall.
- cost of cars, especially electric vehicles. We wanted to go green but we’re put off with extortionate costs and ended up with diesel again.
- annual road tax cost us £500!!! We weren’t expecting that for a 2.0 liter car!
- our belongings stuck in Vancouver.