Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to send those important papers

How to send those important papers

Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:05 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all
Default How to send those important papers

I am wondering how to bring to the UK all those really important certificates which you hardly ever need, but if you lose them its a major hassle. Things like my birth certificate, my kids birth certficate, marriage certificate, naturalisation certificate. I put them all in a plastic file but now I'm wondering what's the safest way to bring them. I could either bring them in my hand luggage on the flight to the UK (with the very slight risk that I might get mugged in the airport), or put them in my suitcase on the plane (which might go astray), or I could send them via air mail in advance of my arrival (with the risk of loss in the post). I think hand luggage is the best option - at least I can control the risk that way.

I am also sending a whole bunch of other necessary, but not vitally important, documents (about 20kg in all) via air mail. It's a risk but I've never once had an air mail package from or to the UK go missing here in Japan (which has probably the world's best postal service). I realise that the safest way is to use a guaranteed delivery postal service but that is seriously expensive for 20kg of papers.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 3:24 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to send those important papers

Might I suggest purchasing a briefcase and a pair of handcuffs...................as seen in a number of movies etc.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:56 am
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Viking Man
I am wondering how to bring to the UK all those really important certificates which you hardly ever need, but if you lose them its a major hassle. Things like my birth certificate, my kids birth certficate, marriage certificate, naturalisation certificate. I put them all in a plastic file but now I'm wondering what's the safest way to bring them. I could either bring them in my hand luggage on the flight to the UK (with the very slight risk that I might get mugged in the airport), or put them in my suitcase on the plane (which might go astray), or I could send them via air mail in advance of my arrival (with the risk of loss in the post). I think hand luggage is the best option - at least I can control the risk that way.
I put all the birth/marriage certificates and stuff like recent bank statements and all the important papers in my hand luggage. At least you can keep it with you all the way home, and I didn't get mugged at the airport!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:23 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I am also sending a whole bunch of other necessary, but not vitally important, documents (about 20kg in all) via air mail. It's a risk but I've never once had an air mail package from or to the UK go missing here in Japan (which has probably the world's best postal service). I realise that the safest way is to use a guaranteed delivery postal service but that is seriously expensive for 20kg of papers.

Any thoughts anyone?

Use a courier service. Just so that you are prepared, you will need birth certificates, marriage certificates, naturalisation certificates, certificates denoting what colour underwear you wore on January 5 1973 etc. etc. over and over again here.

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 12th 2006 at 7:27 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts anyone?

Make copies of everything. Carry the originals with you and send the copies via Fed Ex or registered mail.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nun
Make copies of everything. Carry the originals with you and send the copies via Fed Ex or registered mail.
Good idea to make copies but don't forget to certify the copies.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Might I suggest purchasing a briefcase and a pair of handcuffs...................as seen in a number of movies etc.

Old Mar 14th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Chance of being mugged + the consequences of losing the certificates (which can all be replaced eventually) is not sufficient to worry about. Take it in the hand luggage though.

If you need to have something to worry about focus on bird flu or something else.