Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How did your US spouce adapt to the UK?

How did your US spouce adapt to the UK?

Old Nov 12th 2013, 2:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did your US spouce adapt to the UK?

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I hear those are fabulous machines. But very very expensive.
They're worth every penny. I don't consider 600-1k expensive for a washing machine either? Especially when it will last you 20 odd years, as well as providing a completely superior service to all others.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:03 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Washers, dryers and fridges in UK are very frustrating to me. I'm always happy to get back to my US appliances. Trying to dry stuff is a nightmare, washers are too small and too low down. Fridges don't have enough ice to make iced tea. It's all in what you get used to. I would never pay all that money for a German washer when I could buy a Whirlpool Duet. I guess I'm not a washer snob.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Washers, dryers and fridges in UK are very frustrating to me. I'm always happy to get back to my US appliances.
You're insane. The quality of appliances in the US is akin to junk. Top washers, for example, what a joke.

Trying to dry stuff is a nightmare, washers are too small and too low down.
Sorry, what? Too low down? If your washer is too low, my advice to you is to buy a bigger one. They DO exist you realise?

Fridges don't have enough ice to make iced tea.
You've purchased the wrong fridge (and washer, and dryer..).

It's all in what you get used to. I would never pay all that money for a German washer when I could buy a Whirlpool Duet. [/QUOTE]

You've just had your eureka moment. If you buy crap, you'll get crap (Whirlpool is utter crap FYI, but people in America don't seem to care about quality appliances in my time living here). It's like me buying a Chevvy and complaining that it's a boring and bland car. What did i expect when i purchased a shit car? BMW levels of quality? No. Splash the cash and buy according to your requirements.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Nov 12th 2013 at 3:21 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

You've just had your eureka moment. If you buy crap, you'll get crap (Whirlpool is utter crap FYI, but people in America don't seem to care about quality appliances in my time living here). It's like me buying a Chevvy and complaining that it's a boring and bland car. What did i expect when i purchased a shit car? BMW levels of quality? No. Splash the cash and buy according to your requirements.
LOL it's just a washing machine. Calm down!

Most people tend to buy what they can afford. At least that's what I do. I use to "splash the cash" by buying the best and paying for it on credit. Now I buy the best I can afford to pay with cash.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
LOL it's just a washing machine. Calm down!

Most people tend to buy what they can afford. At least that's what I do. I use to "splash the cash" by buying the best and paying for it on credit. Now I buy the best I can afford to pay with cash.
I've never advocated paying for an appliance on credit (if one needs to do that, you're in a really bad situation imo). Yet if you compare like for like between the UK v US you will find that the only advantage a US washer / dryer will have is that it's bigger by default. Honestly, that's the only advantage. The quality of an equivalent US appliance is no where near approaching that of their European counterpart. Usually because that European counterpart is German.

So back to my original point; similar size washers are available in the UK if you really want them, you just need to splash a bit more cash. That's all.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 4:36 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I've never advocated paying for an appliance on credit (if one needs to do that, you're in a really bad situation imo). Yet if you compare like for like between the UK v US you will find that the only advantage a US washer / dryer will have is that it's bigger by default. Honestly, that's the only advantage. The quality of an equivalent US appliance is no where near approaching that of their European counterpart. Usually because that European counterpart is German.

So back to my original point; similar size washers are available in the UK if you really want them, you just need to splash a bit more cash. That's all.
Herr Horace, you need to get a grip. You are going to drive your poor wife crazy.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 4:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mallory
Herr Horace, you need to get a grip. You are going to drive your poor wife crazy.
She manages fine, thanks.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

My US top-loader Whirlpool was over 25 years old and never once let me down. It did used to go walkies if I put too many clothes in at once, though.

Now I have a Hoover front-loader that matches (almost) all of the performance categories of that Miele (spin speed, load weight, energy rating), and all for just 250 squids. I wouldn't trade it for anything, even if it doesn't have flashy digital display. And it's over 7 years old and going strong.

I do miss having a tumble dryer, but I now find my clothes last a lot longer. Tumble dryers kill clothes.

I quibble about spending a thousand on a car, you'd never catch me spending that much on a household appliance!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving
My US top-loader Whirlpool was over 25 years old and never once let me down. It did used to go walkies if I put too many clothes in at once, though.

Now I have a Hoover front-loader that matches (almost) all of the performance categories of that Miele (spin speed, load weight, energy rating), and all for just 250 squids.!
Sorry, but your Whirlpool is not remotely approaching the quality of a Miele, regardless of your experience. To compare a Miele to Whirlpool is to compare a Bentley to a Fiat 500.

I haven't mentioned the huge damage top loaders do to clothes yet, and what about wools? Do people really put them in a top loader?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but your Whirlpool is not remotely approaching the quality of a Miele, regardless of your experience. To compare a Miele to Whirlpool is to compare a Bentley to a Fiat 500.

I haven't mentioned the huge damage top loaders do to clothes yet, and what about wools? Do people really put them in a top loader?
You don't work for Miele by any chance?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving
You don't work for Miele by any chance?
I wish.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 12:51 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The quality of appliances in the US is akin to junk. Top washers, for example, what a joke.
Most appliances in the US look technologically backwards. Miele quality is like NASA technology compared to what is generally available.

I will give credit to their fridges though. They might not be at the same high standard as Japanese ones, but they are big, convenient to use, and if they have an ice machine then it'll be efficient and durable. The good thing is that they are simple and not overloaded with extra technology/electronics, so less things can go wrong.

P.S. Main problem in the UK, and this probably doesn't apply to the kitchen but rather the bathrooms, are those two separate taps for hot and cold water.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by astera
Most appliances in the US look technologically backwards. Miele quality is like NASA technology compared to what is generally available.
The thing is, most merkins just don't get it. They are utterly oblivious to anything that is 'quality'. Just look at their cars. Chevrolet? Eurgh.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:55 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, most merkins just don't get it. They are utterly oblivious to anything that is 'quality'. Just look at their cars. Chevrolet? Eurgh.
I think it's more of a cultural/lifestyle thing. They generally want something simple that works and gets the job done, no fireworks needed.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I think it's more of a cultural/lifestyle thing. They generally want something simple that works and gets the job done, no fireworks needed.
They like everything to be as big as possible, not really concerned about the quality. That's how my neighbours described their own tastes, anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.