Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How can I leave them behind?

How can I leave them behind?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:56 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I leave them behind?

Originally Posted by mike&jo
Hi Emma

When are you thinking of returning to the UK? The reason I ask is that our 2 dogs have just been released from quarantine here (in UK) and the guy that owns the International Quarantine Kennels was telling Mike & I that the government/DEFRA has ongoing proposals to abolish the quarantine regulations in the EU altogether from July 2008!
What this means exactly I am unsure of, but he did state to us that there will not be anymore animals being quarantined in the UK from July of next year.
I don't know if this information is of any use to you or anyone else, but I thought I would mention it just in case

Jo
Wow, that would be good wouldn't it though not sure if that would just mean you'd HAVE to do your time in Oz before you could bring them across. Anyway, we've been looking at June next year but maybe earlier than that if we could board them with someone or if they don't come...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:29 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

For transporting animals around in the UK, if you are willing to foot the cost there are companies that will collect your pet from the airport, board them nearby for however long you need then deliver them on. It is costly but could be worth it for peace of mind & convenience.

If they can't live with you for a bit, you could board them near where you are & visit on a regular basis, take them for exercise etc. They will appreciate it & so will you! Might even be worth contacting animal charities to see if they could board temporarily for you for a "donation" which would be less than a normal boarding place.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get your dog from a reputable breeder? If so they may be willing to take care of your dog until her new home is ready.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:21 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Wow, that would be good wouldn't it though not sure if that would just mean you'd HAVE to do your time in Oz before you could bring them across. Anyway, we've been looking at June next year but maybe earlier than that if we could board them with someone or if they don't come...
Logically the rule would apply to pets coming in from Europe. Can you really see them letting in a dog from Sudan without quarantine - think not!!

No way would they trust a cert from a Sudanese Q centre either so it looks to me by extension that from Oz you'll still have to Q them in the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dago
Logically the rule would apply to pets coming in from Europe. Can you really see them letting in a dog from Sudan without quarantine - think not!!

No way would they trust a cert from a Sudanese Q centre either so it looks to me by extension that from Oz you'll still have to Q them in the UK.
According to what we were told, that could well be the case though, as the quarantine stations would all be closed. I have to agree that it is a scary thought though!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dago

Not all countries are included in the DEFRA scheme. However, Australia is one of them...as long as you ahere to the DEFRA rules there should be no quarantine.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:21 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO Animals get as attached to people as people do to animals, and would be more stressed for longer by being left behind with strangers. Sorry i'm not wanting to be unkind but where there's a will, there's away and i personally would find that way.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

yeah i agree. You cant really put a price on this. I mean, money is money. It is going cost me about $4000 all up to take my two kitties back to the Uk but the thought of leaving them behind is just non negotiable. I took the responsibility of taking them as 4 week old kittens, they are now 2 and I know I can give them a great life, regardless of the fact they might have 48 hours or so of stress. The "stress busting" your animals will do for you and vice versa over time far outweights any financial out lay.

Unless you genuinely feel your pet is too old and wont handle it, i think it is a risk that is worth taking.

Homesickness sucks and there are lots of us who wake up one day in our adopted country and love it and the next day wish we were back in the UK and so begins the cycle.

Being able to cuddle my little cats when I am back in my home country will be not only fantastic but will also give me the best goody bag I could take away from the country I have been in.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bill for Suzy is definitely over $10,000 now (shipping and quarantine in 2000, shipping in 2001, PETs process and shipping in 2006).

In 2000, she had only been with me for 8 months and I left her behind with the woman who ran the rescue agency I got her from. At the time she was still a very nervous dog, and I was concerned about her not being able to adapt to the flight, quarantine, new home, etc. After being in the UK for a month, I asked Pat (rescue woman) to drive her down to Atlanta Airport and put her on a plane, which she did.

Apart from that first time, I've been in no doubt about whether to drag Suzy along. I think back in 2000, she probably would have adapted to a new home, but I really, really believe she would have the toughest time living with someone else these days. She's already escaped several times from the pet-sitters and I think it's that she is worried she's been abandoned (even though I come back every day and pick her up).

Dogs are very adaptable (I don't know much about cats) - they can adapt to new homes. But I think the longer you have them, the harder it is for a dog to adapt to new owners. And I think there are some dogs that would simply not adapt to a new home at all.

It can be a real pain dealing with dogs after you come home - the whole pet-sitting thing has been a bit of a nightmare for me, and kenneling her when I go on trips seems to be much more difficult here (they are always fully booked in the summer months, for example). In the long run, though, if you are attached to your dog(s), it's worth the hassle.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Just my 2 cents worth here. My two cats are like my babies, and I would not move back to Scotland without them. They do get very attached as I they. If I couldn't take them back with me, I probably wouldn't move, pure and simple. They are that important to me. I would miss them so much and it would ruin my move back home if I didn't take them. Just my feelings of course