Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How can I leave them behind?

How can I leave them behind?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:30 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy How can I leave them behind?

Hey Everyone,

As you know, plans are afoot to organise the move back to the UK next year (assuming we don't HATE it when we go back for a visit next week which isn't very likely) and so far this has included following the PETS scheme for our two cats and a dog. They have been our surrogate family out here and I adore them but now I am worrying about what I am doing.

Our dog and one of the cats are getting on a bit and I'm constantly worrying about whether it's fair to put them through all the stress they are about to go through The money is also a concern as those of you with animals will know - it's not bloody cheap! My other half isn't quite as besotted with them as me (he didn't actually want any of our waifs and strays though he is very lovey to them ) and I know he is seeing this as a huge hassle we could do without.

I've also started thinking a bit more about the logistics of it and I am just not sure how we can make it all work. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and prone to teary outbursts!

We'll be renting for a while when we get back and most properties seem to have a 'no pets' rule which is a real concern. I don't even know how we can get them from the airport. We couldn't get them after our flight as they just wouldn't fit in the car with the bags and the toddler so we'd have to go and get them another day. That means boarding them (which they would hate and I would hate myself for) and picking them up later but then where do I put them if we haven't anywhere to live??

It absolutely breaks my heart to even think it but I am wondering whether I should look at rehoming them rather than putting them and us through all this.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Very Sad of Melbourne.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How can I leave them behind?

Hi

It is a thought and an expense!! Do you have anyone here who would look after them for a few months till you get yourselves settled and then fly them back assuming health was OK?

We are leaving our dog for a couple of months till he is rabies 'clear' to go. It suits us as it is an extra hassle in a fairly momentous move back.

It's easy to say don't worry about them but you naturally do and if you are anything like me you want everything planned and organised to keep the stress levels down!!

Thinking of you

Getting less sad in Perthx
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=emmahafryn;5604073]

Hi Em,

I really feel for you. I had a dog back in the uk, a beautiful rottie called Jessie, we were planning to bring her to Oz but unfortuneatley she passed away before we could progress with getting her sorted. A bond between a dog and a human is HUGE, I hope you can make the choice you feel happier with. There is quite a bit going on for you at the moment so maybe have a good think abt it after you have visited the UK, ann x
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:47 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ann,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I have to get their bloods done this Friday if we are going ahead with it so I am running out of time to think about it.

I think I'm going to have to write the $1000 off for blood tests and get them done regardless.

I seem to be hemorrhaging money at the moment
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:16 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma,

While in my heart I really want to, I go back and forth on whether or not to take my two dogs back to the UK for most of the reasons you mention.

I was thinking about it the other day and realized that I'd have to rent a van or something in order to transport them AND their crates (they're both BIG dogs). I believe I've heard that some people abandon the crates at the airport, and that may be what I'd have to do.

Do you really mean it would cost $1000 for the blood test? I did go ahead and get that done, so that my options would be open. But it didn't cost anywhere near that much here (Texas)!

I also found out -- even getting confirmation from Defra -- that once the titre test is done, as long as you get the rabies vaccination updated on time, you don't have to get the blood test done again. Not that it's an issue for you, but I thought I might have to have it redone as I haven't been able to get back as soon as I thought I might.

I hope you can take your furbabies home with you. I agree that if you can find someone to take care of them until you're settled and then send them on, that might be the best way of doing it.

Sarah
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Not exactly thread relate but I have just been laughing/crying !! to myself as I worked out how much our beloved furry friend has cost us. I remember thinking at the time how bloomin' expensive he was (£400!!) and we had to go all the way to Skye to pick him up.

Since then however i have calculated that we could have bought the whole litter instead of moving here!

Once we are home we will have forked out over £4k!!!!!!!!!...and he keeps on digging up the garden!!...but we still love him!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:59 am
Homeward Bound

Originally Posted by lorids
Not exactly thread relate but I have just been laughing/crying !! to myself as I worked out how much our beloved furry friend has cost us. I remember thinking at the time how bloomin' expensive he was (£400!!) and we had to go all the way to Skye to pick him up.

Since then however i have calculated that we could have bought the whole litter instead of moving here!

Once we are home we will have forked out over £4k!!!!!!!!!...and he keeps on digging up the garden!!...but we still love him!
Tee Hee. Not on the same scale but reminds me of my friend who had a hamster in the UK. He got very sick and she ended up having to fork out 200GBP for treatment and then to have him put to sleep. What really upset her was the fact that he was free with the cage!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Tee Hee. Not on the same scale but reminds me of my friend who had a hamster in the UK. He got very sick and she ended up having to fork out 200GBP for treatment and then to have him put to sleep. What really upset her was the fact that he was free with the cage!!
I hope she at least sold the cage!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ann,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I have to get their bloods done this Friday if we are going ahead with it so I am running out of time to think about it.

I think I'm going to have to write the $1000 off for blood tests and get them done regardless.

I seem to be hemorrhaging money at the moment
At least if you get the blood tests done, it will keep your options open. Just want to say huge good luck for your trip to the UK, let us know how you get on and maybe we can meet up on your return, annx
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh really hard decision and one of those practical/emotional struggles
FWIW - I would continue the process of getting them vaccinated etc, so if you can find a way to get them back over, you havent got the hassle of the vaccines etc not being ready.
Then, Id get on the phone and contact all the people who will be delighted you are going home (start with parents etc) and ask them if they can have your pets until you find a rental that takes them. And obviously you want to get the rental sorted out asap, so will take anything now but will look better when home. Make sure who you ask lives nearby, then you can visit and also take responsibiblity for walks etc
Keep them in Oz for as long as pos so people in the Uk dont feel they will have your pets for ages. Have you a friend who will put up the pets for a fortnight, (or until the time has passed that they dont need UK quarantine)then the transporters pick them up from their house? You will appreciate a bit of time without them while you sort yourselves out. Also, then, at least when you get them from the airport, they dont go back into kennels again so you can walk them etc. You never know, if a friend in Oz has them til they dont need any UK quarantine, you may be soted in a rental that will accept them, so have them right away when they fly back. Also, then you van just pick them up from the airport in the car and dump the crates, which will be nicer.
So now, feel the waters, as to who is prepared to help in what way and for how long - then you'll have a plan.
If your living anywhere near me - I'll have them for a while. Ive got a dog, so walking extra doesnt make any difference.
Good luck
C
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Everyone,

As you know, plans are afoot to organise the move back to the UK next year (assuming we don't HATE it when we go back for a visit next week which isn't very likely) and so far this has included following the PETS scheme for our two cats and a dog. They have been our surrogate family out here and I adore them but now I am worrying about what I am doing.

Our dog and one of the cats are getting on a bit and I'm constantly worrying about whether it's fair to put them through all the stress they are about to go through The money is also a concern as those of you with animals will know - it's not bloody cheap! My other half isn't quite as besotted with them as me (he didn't actually want any of our waifs and strays though he is very lovey to them ) and I know he is seeing this as a huge hassle we could do without.

I've also started thinking a bit more about the logistics of it and I am just not sure how we can make it all work. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and prone to teary outbursts!

We'll be renting for a while when we get back and most properties seem to have a 'no pets' rule which is a real concern. I don't even know how we can get them from the airport. We couldn't get them after our flight as they just wouldn't fit in the car with the bags and the toddler so we'd have to go and get them another day. That means boarding them (which they would hate and I would hate myself for) and picking them up later but then where do I put them if we haven't anywhere to live??

It absolutely breaks my heart to even think it but I am wondering whether I should look at rehoming them rather than putting them and us through all this.

Very Sad of Melbourne.
I had to leave my 2 dogs in the UK...something I will always regret.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:50 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I can sympathise with this.

We are going the other way and moving to Oz next year and were initially going to rehome our cat.

The thought devastated me, ever since my Mum died the thought of parting with my cat really hurts (yes its silly and yes I am embarrassed).

Finances are tight and it isn't cheap to export a cat. Having the usual comments of 'if you can afford to migrate then paying for a cat/dog is nothing' which pissed me off as you shouldnt judge someones situation that is personal to them.

Anyway, Mr PP said if I can raise the money then Gordon can come and I am over halfway there.

I feel so sorry for anyone who has to rehome their pet and also anyone who decides to export them.

Exporting them is a daunting process when you are going through other emotional stuff and giving them away is even more painful.

People may say its only a cat/dog but they are OUR cats and dogs, it is OUR furniture/gardens that they destroy and when our pets go, their memory sort of lives on in whatever they have destroyed/chewed

So with that in mind, I want my cat Gordon around to chew my furniture for as long as possible.

Good luck Emma, I really hope you find a solution and agree with everyone else, make initial enquiries and you might not find the process so daunting.

There are some landlords that allow pets - quite a few really. It is how you approach them and how you present yourself to them - but it can be done.

Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:38 pm
Homeward Bound

Originally Posted by chance to be
Oooh really hard decision and one of those practical/emotional struggles
FWIW - I would continue the process of getting them vaccinated etc, so if you can find a way to get them back over, you havent got the hassle of the vaccines etc not being ready.
Then, Id get on the phone and contact all the people who will be delighted you are going home (start with parents etc) and ask them if they can have your pets until you find a rental that takes them. And obviously you want to get the rental sorted out asap, so will take anything now but will look better when home. Make sure who you ask lives nearby, then you can visit and also take responsibiblity for walks etc
Keep them in Oz for as long as pos so people in the Uk dont feel they will have your pets for ages. Have you a friend who will put up the pets for a fortnight, (or until the time has passed that they dont need UK quarantine)then the transporters pick them up from their house? You will appreciate a bit of time without them while you sort yourselves out. Also, then, at least when you get them from the airport, they dont go back into kennels again so you can walk them etc. You never know, if a friend in Oz has them til they dont need any UK quarantine, you may be soted in a rental that will accept them, so have them right away when they fly back. Also, then you van just pick them up from the airport in the car and dump the crates, which will be nicer.
So now, feel the waters, as to who is prepared to help in what way and for how long - then you'll have a plan.
If your living anywhere near me - I'll have them for a while. Ive got a dog, so walking extra doesnt make any difference.
Good luck
C
Thanks so much - that's a lovely post & wonderful offer! one of the problems is that we are not sure where we'll be living in the country but it's not likley to be that close to either set of parents which will make things difficult. I don't want to pay a fortune to export them to the other side of the world only to have them live with someone else.

Anyway, I'll go ahead with the blood tests and then at least I can make the final decision over a period of time. I can at least discuss things with my family next week!

X
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Everyone,

Very Sad of Melbourne.

Hi Emma

When are you thinking of returning to the UK? The reason I ask is that our 2 dogs have just been released from quarantine here (in UK) and the guy that owns the International Quarantine Kennels was telling Mike & I that the government/DEFRA has ongoing proposals to abolish the quarantine regulations in the EU altogether from July 2008!
What this means exactly I am unsure of, but he did state to us that there will not be anymore animals being quarantined in the UK from July of next year.
I don't know if this information is of any use to you or anyone else, but I thought I would mention it just in case

Jo
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Very Sad of Melbourne.

like PP said there is accommodation avail that you can rent with pets infact quite a few when you start searching.....my girlfriend and family incl 2 dogs are renting in the sth of england at the moment and had a choice of 3 homes that would accept animals.

you really can make it happen if you want to and that applies to virtually anything ....good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.