Homeward bound, finally

Old Sep 2nd 2021, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

joleah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homeward bound, finally

Originally Posted by vh3
So... after a number of years of having the will we or wont we return to the UK, hubby and I are finally on the same page.... I have read Caroline in Arizona posts for sometime now and travelled with her on her return to Scotland. This journey won't be easy but it will finally give us a sense of belonging. We have spent the last 25 years in Canada and although enjoyed our time here there was always something missing. Finally the light bulb went on and it is family. When we started this conversation in 2018 weather was very important to us. We seriously looked at Spain, ruled that out due to language and then Norfolk which would afford us better climate and be nearer home. After all this, hubby decided he wasn't ready to leave Canada, so we stayed and decided to make that home. We retired to a lovely part (Okanagan) which is blessed with wonderful weather and wineries and you know what, it still isn't home.

Last weekend we had a heart to heart and have now decided to return to Scotland. Where, we are not sure yet but we have lots of time to decide. We wont go back until next Spring/Summer so that we can get our affairs in order as well as the hope COVID that is a little more under control. We will rent for a year and take a good look round. No matter where we settle we will be close to family and friends. Have others gone through this mental torture of deciding, do you stay or go?
We have been in Canada 32 years always wanted to go back to Scotland but both of us were working so did not wat to be looking for jobs Then retirement came and the only thing holding us was our daughter.But after speaking to her we found out that she has wanted to go back to.So we are in the process of getting 2 houses ready.May be a bit stressfull for us but its all we think about.Like yourself have family there and kind of sick of harsh weather here this summer is bad my wife has breathing difficulty and has not been out in months.If you need help navigating the process feel free to askAll the best on your journey.........Joe