Homeschooling in the UK

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of
Default Re: Homeschooling in the UK

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hi
Just as NZ teacher qualifications are not recognised here in the UK, my PGCE FE qualification was not recognised at all in NZ. I would have to do their equivalent qualification at uni, at a cost of 21,000 dollars for a one year course!!
m friend has just emigrated to new zealand and had all her qualifications verified before going out there..we have the B.eD HONS QUALIFICATION AND IT IS RECOGNISED AND HIGHLy prized in N.Z and australia.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by madcarole
m friend has just emigrated to new zealand and had all her qualifications verified before going out there..we have the B.eD HONS QUALIFICATION AND IT IS RECOGNISED AND HIGHLy prized in N.Z and australia.
I also had my PGCE FE qualification verfied before i went in 2005 and it was not accepted as there was no equivalent.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
I also had my PGCE FE qualification verfied before i went in 2005 and it was not accepted as there was no equivalent.
i am shocked heavenly scent..what was your first degree in?? and were you primary or secondary teaching???
did they explain why??
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

i am shocked heavenly scent..what was your first degree in?? and were you primary or secondary teaching???
did they explain why??
Hi
I was shocked also. My first degree is in History BA Honours, then did the Post Graduate Certificate in Education in Further Education, I have taught A level students and 16-18 year olds, through to Adults of pension age. I have taught the basic adult literacy and numeracy courses, IT and ESOL, which are sought after in this country. I also hold the ESOL qualification, which allows me to teach Children and Adults. I just couldn't believe that there wasn't any equivalent in qualifications in NZ. I returned home in 2007, because of the work situation. I have just applied to HUll to do their PGCE in Primary in order to rethink our whole situation, because our residency was based on me securing a contract in NZ which I was not able to do. I also gained my masters degree in teaching in 2007.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

I AM SO SHOCKED...WHAT HAVE THE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT SAID..I know that from jan 2008 there was going to be a shortage of infant teachers and they were calling for them..IT DIDNT GIVE YOU ANY points apparently..but was on the needed list..

my friend wanted to work and have her hubby at home with their teenagers.
but so far she has been unable to get a job although she is a primary teacher..SENCO and deputy head but is strugg;ing to get an interview..
her hubby has got a job to validate or whatever it is called their visa..he is a road worker and the company deseperately wanted british sills..
she got her N.Z teacher last week so she is hoping to get supply work if notthing else..
we will see.. good luck in doing the course..it is very hard work compacted into the year and a bit..i was a teacher asser for this course../

carole
where aouts were you in N.Z
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Having qualifications verified doesnt mean that they will be accepted in Oz (or NZ) without you also doing extra training/exams to get an Oz qualification.

Ask the many tradies - plumbers, sparkies etc who had to retake tests (at a cost) before they could practice. Teachers have to too. Many professionals i met in Perth (tradies) wanted to work and were prepared to go on retraining courses - but couldnt get on the courses ( no spaces)so work as labourers. The same with social workers too. Funnily enough, my teaching qual was accepted so maybe its who you know.

Good luck - but dont assume verification means licence to practice.
It really doesnt work like that.

Last edited by chance to be; Feb 25th 2008 at 6:46 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chance to be
Having qualifications verified doesnt mean that they will be accepted in Oz (or NZ) without you also doing extra training/exams to get an Oz qualification.

Ask the many tradies - plumbers, sparkies etc who had to retake tests (at a cost) before they could practice. Teachers have to too. Many professionals i met in Perth (tradies) wanted to work and were prepared to go on retraining courses - but couldnt get on the courses ( no spaces)so work as labourers. The same with social workers too. Funnily enough, my teaching qual was accepted so maybe its who you know.

Good luck - but dont assume verification means licence to practice.
It really doesnt work like that.

my friends hubby has got a job with no training course..just 3 weeks ago...because he had the desi needed qualifications the firm wanted and they could prove to the government that these qualifications were needed for the company...
#and ailsa has had her degree and qualifications verified and has now got a teacher numer and is waiting for a VACANY..THE PROBLEM BEING AS SHE IS IN A TOWN THERE ARE FEW VACANCIES.. soory about caps...
she was told yesterday be the education dept if she moved out a bit there were more vacancies..she is in wellington..
as none wanted to work in the country[ teaching wise] apparently most people moved to the cities..we both laughed at the way moving to the country seemed to be down market,..whereas in the uk..when we worked in london our dreams were to teach in the country#

my vision of teaching in the country in australia or new zealand.. will make you all laugh remember years and i mean years ago a film on tv..of a flying doctor. it was in black and white.. the schooling was done over the radio link and if there was an emergency the doctor was called out..he flew in on an aeroplane..
so i have kidded ailsa that she needs to get her radio skills honed to perfection...the oriiginal home schooling..lol

carole
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

my friends hubby has got a job with no training course..just 3 weeks ago...because he had the desi needed qualifications the firm wanted and they could prove to the government that these qualifications were needed for the company...
Can I ask who his profession is?

Im not trying to be a party pooper for you...but HONESTLY LOADS of people I know have moved back because they cant get their qualifications recognised in Oz - even though their quals were acceptable on paper to get them into the country, they were not seen as enough upon arrival. I dont think anyones chipping in here because the title of the thread is "homeschooling" so maybe you want to start a thread on this and hear other peoples experiences. It may help you.

You are right about the rural schools being offered though as no-one wants them. But if thats what you want to do, it will mean after you've done it a while, you have the cudos (sp) to apply anywhere. So the best of luck to you with this.....but I'd still start a thread on this if i were you.

I wish id known more about it before we went/came back

Best wishes

Chrissy
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

I AM SO SHOCKED...WHAT HAVE THE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT SAID..I know that from jan 2008 there was going to be a shortage of infant teachers and they were calling for them..IT DIDNT GIVE YOU ANY points apparently..but was on the needed list..

my friend wanted to work and have her hubby at home with their teenagers.
but so far she has been unable to get a job although she is a primary teacher..SENCO and deputy head but is strugg;ing to get an interview..
her hubby has got a job to validate or whatever it is called their visa..he is a road worker and the company deseperately wanted british sills..
she got her N.Z teacher last week so she is hoping to get supply work if notthing else..
we will see.. good luck in doing the course..it is very hard work compacted into the year and a bit..i was a teacher asser for this course../

carole

where aouts were you in N.Z

Hi Carole we were in Rotorua. In the Bay of Plenty!!!! I did secure work for the first 6 months teaching Foreign students English but the school closed 6 months after we arrived. It paid 25 dollars an hour, which people kept telling me was high as Rotorua is known as ten dollar city! But for me, it was such a poor wage, with 4 teenagers, even though hubby was working as a HGV driver with above average wages. I then worked teaching farmers how to use a new handheld computer which i was paid 14 dollars a hour, which i would never have got out of bed for in the UK, so we were so disollusioned, what with the appaling education also in Rotorua, not a lot to stay for.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Hamsterhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimmy911
How is homeschooling viewed in the UK
Jimmy, You might find this useful.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/foru....cfm?catid=128

Home schooling is becoming very popular. Many parents opt for it if they can't get their kids into a good school. Lots of support groups exist for parents who home school as well.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hamsterhouse
Jimmy, You might find this useful.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/foru....cfm?catid=128

Home schooling is becoming very popular. Many parents opt for it if they can't get their kids into a good school. Lots of support groups exist for parents who home school as well.
When we leave South Africa and return to Scotland, I will be home schooling (or home educating as they call it there) my two kids, we are all looking forward to it, I know it's going to be a challenge and we'll need lots of discipline but we are going forward with it nonetheless.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jimmy911
How is homeschooling viewed in the UK
We were the representatives in Bedfordshire for Home eduaction(education Otherwise)-Notice I am NOT saying Beds as the Australians abbreviate everything-Really irritating! Not to mention that awful accent!

We are going back as well as the schools are also appalling....(not to say they are any good in the UK) but the national curriculum is very informative but it is how its delivered thats no good-UK kids are WELL beyond Australian or NZ kids-The only thing we dont like is the awful behaviour in UK schools and the SATs/constant testing- ridiculous! but home education gives u the one on one individual attention, that can guide your child to university.

I understand not everyone has this luxury and we are Paying for it-but I cant and I wont send my children to these schools..........:curse:

My wife is a music teacher and generally education around the world is not good enough-

So its fine-if u want to ASK more please feel free to contact.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
We were the representatives in Bedfordshire for Home eduaction(education Otherwise)-Notice I am NOT saying Beds as the Australians abbreviate everything-Really irritating! Not to mention that awful accent!

We are going back as well as the schools are also appalling....(not to say they are any good in the UK) but the national curriculum is very informative but it is how its delivered thats no good-UK kids are WELL beyond Australian or NZ kids-The only thing we dont like is the awful behaviour in UK schools and the SATs/constant testing- ridiculous! but home education gives u the one on one individual attention, that can guide your child to university.

I understand not everyone has this luxury and we are Paying for it-but I cant and I wont send my children to these schools..........:curse:

My wife is a music teacher and generally education around the world is not good enough-

So its fine-if u want to ASK more please feel free to contact.

not all schools are bad in the uk or have discipline problems..but i do agree that a high percentage do..and i seem to have worked at most of them!!!but i do agree that 1-1 is alwaysgoing to better than 35 -1 mixed ability education, where there is always time limitations and no time to allow the children who are slower to learn time to consolodate the work.]then of course there are the assmeblies and the visits by charities, shows for parents etc etc that have to be fitted into the school day. And my pet hate..no time for a child to develop at their own pace or develop their own interests..

home schooling has less pressures put on the parent and the child...
the biggest problems for our local group is sourcing and cost of the supplies needed as not everything CAN BE GOT AT THE LIBRARY

CAROLE
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

not all schools are bad in the uk or have discipline problems..but i do agree that a high percentage do..and i seem to have worked at most of them!!!but i do agree that 1-1 is alwaysgoing to better than 35 -1 mixed ability education, where there is always time limitations and no time to allow the children who are slower to learn time to consolodate the work.]then of course there are the assmeblies and the visits by charities, shows for parents etc etc that have to be fitted into the school day. And my pet hate..no time for a child to develop at their own pace or develop their own interests..

home schooling has less pressures put on the parent and the child...
the biggest problems for our local group is sourcing and cost of the supplies needed as not everything CAN BE GOT AT THE LIBRARY

CAROLE
True.... but u do have a wonderful resource the BBC and the internet!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
True.... but u do have a wonderful resource the BBC and the internet!
i am all for home schooling..i go into my local families and work w ith some of the children and help with gcse maths .,p.e science and business studies..and anything else needed..

the children are interested, motivated, bright and stimulate me and their parents...it is very refreshing to go into AND WORK WITH THESE FAMILIES..
I will miss them when i go to spain...

carole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.