HMRC and NIC top up

Old Jun 2nd 2021, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute
Default HMRC and NIC top up

Hi Folks,

Had the letter from HMRC in late April stating what back National Insurance I owe to complete 35 full years. In essence I owe 1 part year and a full year of Class 3. This is fine.

I called HMRC to clarify the figures etc and they said that only the Future Pension Service can advise the EXACT correct amount I should pay. I've tried calling the Future Pensions Service countless times and can never get through and the deadline for paying my back payments is next Friday.

Just got off the phone with a relatively helpful but officious HMRC guy as I am looking for help etc. He advised that only FPS can advise the amount and if the wrong amount is paid then it could "affect my pension". I asked that as I only owe a year and a half, and all the full years I could pay are the same then I can deduce the total I should pay from HMRC's from the letter : its the part year amount + 1 other year. Of course he would not be drawn, stating I must get confirmation from FPS. Also, even if I over pay this would cover the 1.5 years owing.

Folks, to my questions:
1) Does my logic seem correct as my situation is straight forward - I owe 1.5 years, have the figures, so can work out the amount to pay
2) I've had 2 sets of bank info given to me by HMRC to set up the payment with the latest being sort code 20 20 48, A/C 30944793 - Can someone confirm who has done this recently that these are the correct details and that in the reference you enter your NI number, last name and initials with no spaces so that HMRC can identify the payment is from me.

Many thanks for your advices.