UK credit card

Old May 31st 2021, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK credit card

I have been back in three weeks . I plan on living here most of the year, paying UK taxes, and returning to the US for maybe three months at the most .. I still want to l keep my US bank accounts and credit cards for when I go back to USA.. HSBC bank in the USA opened a UK account for me before I left , but it is linked to my USA address. I tried to get a phone contract today online but because my credit card billing address is in the USA , I could not use it for the contract. Does anyone know how to get a phone contract without a UK credit card ? Also, does anyone know if there is a problem keeping US bank accounts or US credit cards while living in UK? Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2021, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK credit card

My circumstances meant that I was able to get a UK credit card shortly after landing. I was without a mobile phone plan for a few weeks so unfortunately I can’t help on that question.

I did retain 2 US credit cards while living in the UK, using my daughter’s US address for one of them. The other US credit is with my US HSBC bank and has my UK address associated with it.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your response Durham Lad.. So did you open the HSBC US credit card from the UK or did you open the US credit card in US and then change your address to UK as primary residence? Thank you
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33 View Post
Thanks for your response Durham Lad.. So did you open the HSBC US credit card from the UK or did you open the US credit card in US and then change your address to UK as primary residence? Thank you
We had never closed our UK HSBC bank account so returning was pretty easy after 29 years away. After moving back to England we opened a US HSBC account from England and got our US HSBC credit card from England at the same time. It was quite a stressful experience and I wish we had opened up our US account before we moved but at the time we moved we didn’t know that it was going to be permanent. We had planned on splitting our time between the 2 countries but after 6 weeks back we decided to make it permanent. We had sold the US house some years earlier when we retired early and moved into a rented apartment so we could “lock and leave” as every year we would travel extensively.

once we had our HSBC US bank account I switched banks for my pensions etc and closed our existing US bank, which didn’t support overseas customers anyway. A few months later we did a trip over for 2 months to empty the apartment and arrange shipping for the stuff we wanted to keep. At that point I changed the address on our Amex card to our daughter’s address and still have that. She plans to move to Australia in a few years with her Australian partner so that option will go away then.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your response.., May I private message you ?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by countrygirl33 View Post
Thanks for your response.., May I private message you ?
sure.