High Wycombe

Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice
Default High Wycombe

Hi All

We are looking to move back to the UK from NZ next year!

Going to do a sperate thread re "Have you moved somewhere different" as this is what we are looking to do!

So we both lived in Newbury, Berkshire before leaving and now considering High Wycombe.

Has anyone lived here? thoughts? good areas and bad? etc?

Thanks heaps!

Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:01 am

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High Wycombe

I used to live outside (Hazlemere) and work in High Wycombe 30 years ago (!) and it had some rough areas then (Micklefield on the east side). There are some lovely & expensive villages on the west side. It's probably changed a lot since then, so I would catch up via on line local newspapers.
Hazlemere was quite nice but there have been a lot of new estates since I was there.
If you're looking to be on the edge of the Chilterns, have a look at the Thame, Princes Risborough & Chinnor areas too - I lived near Thame about 20 years ago, and it was a nice little town then.

Last edited by Harvester523; Aug 21st 2012 at 10:27 am.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:06 pm

Too late to edit so, let me know if you move there, I know a whole host of lovely oldie worlde pubs in the area! of course they've probably changed hands now but are still there according to street view (Street view is great for nostalgic trips ).
Back to areas, Holmer Green, Widmer End or Naphill are quite quiet on the outskirts, and beautiful countryside to the north and west with lots of footpaths and bridleways (I used to ride around there). I'd aim for those areas rather than the south and east.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Hiya

Thanks heaps for info

It's exciting looking at new areas but also scarey as we have no idea what is good and bad! Seen a few cheaper houses to the East now I know why so thanks for that tip

Will check out the other areas you suggested! Other half said YES to the pubs
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Marlow and I shopped in High Wycombe. I would prefer to live on the outskirt because there are some areas that are a bit dodgy for sure! Nice areas around it though like Maidenhead, Bourne End and smaller villages. Check out police report

http://www.police.uk/

Perhaps you should rather find a rental for a year before buying?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by feelbritish
We lived in Marlow and I shopped in High Wycombe. I would prefer to live on the outskirt because there are some areas that are a bit dodgy for sure! Nice areas around it though like Maidenhead, Bourne End and smaller villages. Check out police report

http://www.police.uk/

Perhaps you should rather find a rental for a year before buying?
Hiya

Thanks for the heads up

My Father lives in Spain but has just brought a little cottage in Marlow for when he comes back has suggested too the little villages! Budget won't stretch to these though

How about West Wycombe? Any suggestions welcome

Thanks again!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:46 am

West Wycombe is lovely but on the A40 which is busy, and expensive, which is why I always moved along the M40 ending up north of Banbury before leaving the UK. That's also an area worth considering as you still have M40 access to London and Birmingham though London is quite a way (edit: and near the new fast rail link if it's ever built - watch out for the route of that when you're looking!).
If I was going back there now, I saw two lovely little one bedroom cottages in Mollington and Avon Dassett - both pretty small villages, I wouldn't go back to the Wycombe area as it's too expensive for a nice house. It really depends what you want - travel v convenience v countryside v price!

Last edited by Harvester523; Aug 22nd 2012 at 5:49 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Harvester523
West Wycombe is lovely but on the A40 which is busy, and expensive, which is why I always moved along the M40 ending up north of Banbury before leaving the UK. That's also an area worth considering as you still have M40 access to London and Birmingham though London is quite a way (edit: and near the new fast rail link if it's ever built - watch out for the route of that when you're looking!).
If I was going back there now, I saw two lovely little one bedroom cottages in Mollington and Avon Dassett - both pretty small villages, I wouldn't go back to the Wycombe area as it's too expensive for a nice house. It really depends what you want - travel v convenience v countryside v price!
Thanks Harvester will check the two villages you mentioned out!

We are really flexible on areas just want to be near my Dad (Marlow) and easy access to London for possible work!!!

Keep them coming
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:25 am
converted lurker

kronenborg is an unknown quantity at this point

we moved back to the UK 2 months ago, and are renting a place just outside west wycombe, while we try and sell our US house (challenging!).

we're not very familiar at all with buckinghamshire, having never lived in the area prior to our time in the US, so are discovering it for the first time now.

my office is in marlow, and from where we are renting its an extremely easy commute - it is also very easy to get into london by car during off-peak times (we drove into fulham to see friends on sunday, and it took >45 mins).

the countryside is lovely. there are dozens of great pubs around. the shopping in high wycombe is good, and there a plenty of great restaurants in the area (marlow, bray etc).

house prices are fairly insane, partly due to proximity to london, and partly because of the quality of primary schools and the grammar school system.

if and when we sell our US house, we would want to buy in any of the small villages to the west of high wycombe...unfortunately we are not alone, and these places tend to be snapped up fairly quickly, often for crazy sums of money!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kronenborg
we moved back to the UK 2 months ago, and are renting a place just outside west wycombe, while we try and sell our US house (challenging!).

we're not very familiar at all with buckinghamshire, having never lived in the area prior to our time in the US, so are discovering it for the first time now.

my office is in marlow, and from where we are renting its an extremely easy commute - it is also very easy to get into london by car during off-peak times (we drove into fulham to see friends on sunday, and it took >45 mins).

the countryside is lovely. there are dozens of great pubs around. the shopping in high wycombe is good, and there a plenty of great restaurants in the area (marlow, bray etc).

house prices are fairly insane, partly due to proximity to london, and partly because of the quality of primary schools and the grammar school system.

if and when we sell our US house, we would want to buy in any of the small villages to the west of high wycombe...unfortunately we are not alone, and these places tend to be snapped up fairly quickly, often for crazy sums of money!
Hi kronenborg

Many thanks for the reply has helped a lot

I may have to work in London so that's why this area appeals as I can train it in!

We have seen a few houses in West Wycombe but OMG the prices for even a 2 bed is insane like you say!!!

I may hit you later in the year for more advice if that's ok

Hope the US house sells soon!

Thanks, Georgina
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:04 am
converted lurker

kronenborg is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know what your criteria are for a home - i know you mention that kids (and therefore schools) are not really a consideration at the moment...if that is the case, then perhaps if you can bear to be a little further out from london, your money will go a bit further - just look at a map and follow the m40 away from london - you dont have to go far, just across the bucks border into oxfordshire - even Thame is better value for money (slightly!)