Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs

Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs

Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:25 pm
KDR
Just Joined

KDR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs

Hello,

I am a USC married to a UKC living in the UK. We are contemplating a move to the States and have a couple questions some of you lovely people may be able to answer.

As of next week, I will actually be a UKC and should have my UK passport by November. While this is groovy for a lot of reasons, I thought this would be useful should we want to come back, ie I won't have to apply for anything if we do. Will this throw up any problems or is there anything we should watch out for on this front?

I've had a bit of a skim over requirements for hubby to move to the US based on the fact we're married and I think we should be okay. I'm sure answers vary, but can anyone provide ballpark figures for time it takes application to getting approval and cost?

I'm suffering from a bit of immigration navigating exhaustion and am very grateful for the help!

Best,
Kate
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs

Originally Posted by KDR
Hello,

I am a USC married to a UKC living in the UK. We are contemplating a move to the States and have a couple questions some of you lovely people may be able to answer.

As of next week, I will actually be a UKC and should have my UK passport by November. While this is groovy for a lot of reasons, I thought this would be useful should we want to come back, ie I won't have to apply for anything if we do. Will this throw up any problems or is there anything we should watch out for on this front?

I've had a bit of a skim over requirements for hubby to move to the US based on the fact we're married and I think we should be okay. I'm sure answers vary, but can anyone provide ballpark figures for time it takes application to getting approval and cost?

I'm suffering from a bit of immigration navigating exhaustion and am very grateful for the help!

Best,
Kate
For his immigrant visa, allow about 6 months for the process.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:33 pm
KDR
Just Joined

Thanks, Rene. Any ideas about overall cost?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of posts on the forum for direct consular filing (DCF) and there is the wiki for most frequently asked questions such as this.

BTW what does your heading have to do with you question?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Look up the cost of the I-130 and the fees that go along with filing the I-864 and medical & visa fees. A lot of those can be found here by searching for the DCF (Direct Consular Filing) process.

You being a dual citizen has nothing to do with the process for your UKC husband to move/live in the US. It neither helps nor hinders the process.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:24 pm
KDR
Just Joined

Thanks for the directions in terms of cost, will have a look.

Didn't think my new dual citizenship would have an effect, but you never know. Thanks for the clarification.

My heading relates to my post by listing the themes of the three questions I ask - about my dual citizinship (USC becoming UKC), time an application takes and cost of applications.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Look up the cost of the I-130 and the fees that go along with filing the I-864 and medical & visa fees. A lot of those can be found here by searching for the DCF (Direct Consular Filing) process.
Originally Posted by KDR
Thanks for the directions in terms of cost, will have a look.
When filing the I-130 directly in London, there is no fee for the I-864 Affidavit of Support. There will be the I-130 fee (found at www.uscis.gov), the medical fee (found by searching other posts here on DCF London), the visa fee (found at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...1263.html#perm), and the courier fee for return of passport/visa (also found by searching other posts on here. Oh, and the fee for the police report.

Those are the main fees...there will be incidentals such as passport-style photos, photocopying, travel to London if necessary, etc.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KDR

My wife became a UK citizen before we started the process to apply for my US visa. It made no difference to my US visa process, or anything else for that matter. As far as coming to and living in the US, it had no effect at all.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When filing the I-130 directly in London, there is no fee for the I-864 Affidavit of Support. There will be the I-130 fee (found at www.uscis.gov), the medical fee (found by searching other posts here on DCF London), the visa fee (found at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...1263.html#perm), and the courier fee for return of passport/visa (also found by searching other posts on here. Oh, and the fee for the police report.

Those are the main fees...there will be incidentals such as passport-style photos, photocopying, travel to London if necessary, etc.

Rene
Ahh..I thought they still had to pay an I-864 'agent' fee even with DCF - good to know that they don't have to pay it!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you call it an "'agent' fee"? There is no agent involved. It's a processing fee imposed when the National Visa Center in the USA collects and reviews an I-864 and its supporting documents.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Ahh..I thought they still had to pay an I-864 'agent' fee even with DCF - good to know that they don't have to pay it!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

MusicMan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
My wife became a UK citizen before we started the process to apply for my US visa. It made no difference to my US visa process, or anything else for that matter. As far as coming to and living in the US, it had no effect at all.
I saw a similar thing mentioned in another thread, albeit in another context and context does matter.
In this case, being a dual national probably means little, but the US do recognise dual nationality and having a UK passport for the USC can be used as validity for residence in the UK to fulfil the criteria for petition in the UK.