British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/effect-usc-becoming-ukc-ballpark-times-costs-769883/)

KDR Aug 29th 2012 1:25 pm

Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs

Hello,

I am a USC married to a UKC living in the UK. We are contemplating a move to the States and have a couple questions some of you lovely people may be able to answer.

As of next week, I will actually be a UKC and should have my UK passport by November. While this is groovy for a lot of reasons, I thought this would be useful should we want to come back, ie I won't have to apply for anything if we do. Will this throw up any problems or is there anything we should watch out for on this front?

I've had a bit of a skim over requirements for hubby to move to the US based on the fact we're married and I think we should be okay. I'm sure answers vary, but can anyone provide ballpark figures for time it takes application to getting approval and cost?

I'm suffering from a bit of immigration navigating exhaustion and am very grateful for the help!

Best,
Kate

Noorah101 Aug 29th 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Effect of USC becoming UKC, ballpark times and costs

Originally Posted by KDR (Post 10252689)
Hello,

I am a USC married to a UKC living in the UK. We are contemplating a move to the States and have a couple questions some of you lovely people may be able to answer.

As of next week, I will actually be a UKC and should have my UK passport by November. While this is groovy for a lot of reasons, I thought this would be useful should we want to come back, ie I won't have to apply for anything if we do. Will this throw up any problems or is there anything we should watch out for on this front?

I've had a bit of a skim over requirements for hubby to move to the US based on the fact we're married and I think we should be okay. I'm sure answers vary, but can anyone provide ballpark figures for time it takes application to getting approval and cost?

I'm suffering from a bit of immigration navigating exhaustion and am very grateful for the help!

Best,
Kate

For his immigrant visa, allow about 6 months for the process.

Rene

KDR Aug 29th 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks, Rene. Any ideas about overall cost?

Rete Aug 29th 2012 2:28 pm

Lots of posts on the forum for direct consular filing (DCF) and there is the wiki for most frequently asked questions such as this.

BTW what does your heading have to do with you question?

Bluegrass Lass Aug 29th 2012 2:29 pm

Look up the cost of the I-130 and the fees that go along with filing the I-864 and medical & visa fees. A lot of those can be found here by searching for the DCF (Direct Consular Filing) process.

You being a dual citizen has nothing to do with the process for your UKC husband to move/live in the US. It neither helps nor hinders the process.

KDR Aug 29th 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for the directions in terms of cost, will have a look.

Didn't think my new dual citizenship would have an effect, but you never know. Thanks for the clarification.

My heading relates to my post by listing the themes of the three questions I ask - about my dual citizinship (USC becoming UKC), time an application takes and cost of applications.

Noorah101 Aug 29th 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10252835)
Look up the cost of the I-130 and the fees that go along with filing the I-864 and medical & visa fees. A lot of those can be found here by searching for the DCF (Direct Consular Filing) process.

Originally Posted by KDR (Post 10252984)
Thanks for the directions in terms of cost, will have a look.

When filing the I-130 directly in London, there is no fee for the I-864 Affidavit of Support. There will be the I-130 fee (found at www.uscis.gov), the medical fee (found by searching other posts here on DCF London), the visa fee (found at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...1263.html#perm), and the courier fee for return of passport/visa (also found by searching other posts on here. Oh, and the fee for the police report.

Those are the main fees...there will be incidentals such as passport-style photos, photocopying, travel to London if necessary, etc.

Rene

lansbury Aug 29th 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by KDR (Post 10252689)

My wife became a UK citizen before we started the process to apply for my US visa. It made no difference to my US visa process, or anything else for that matter. As far as coming to and living in the US, it had no effect at all.

Bluegrass Lass Aug 29th 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10253028)
When filing the I-130 directly in London, there is no fee for the I-864 Affidavit of Support. There will be the I-130 fee (found at www.uscis.gov), the medical fee (found by searching other posts here on DCF London), the visa fee (found at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...1263.html#perm), and the courier fee for return of passport/visa (also found by searching other posts on here. Oh, and the fee for the police report.

Those are the main fees...there will be incidentals such as passport-style photos, photocopying, travel to London if necessary, etc.

Rene

Ahh..I thought they still had to pay an I-864 'agent' fee even with DCF - good to know that they don't have to pay it!

jeffreyhy Aug 29th 2012 4:34 pm

Why do you call it an "'agent' fee"? There is no agent involved. It's a processing fee imposed when the National Visa Center in the USA collects and reviews an I-864 and its supporting documents.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10253072)
Ahh..I thought they still had to pay an I-864 'agent' fee even with DCF - good to know that they don't have to pay it!

MusicMan71 Aug 29th 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10253051)
My wife became a UK citizen before we started the process to apply for my US visa. It made no difference to my US visa process, or anything else for that matter. As far as coming to and living in the US, it had no effect at all.

I saw a similar thing mentioned in another thread, albeit in another context and context does matter.
In this case, being a dual national probably means little, but the US do recognise dual nationality and having a UK passport for the USC can be used as validity for residence in the UK to fulfil the criteria for petition in the UK.