hi from a confused Brit

Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi from a confused Brit

Originally Posted by N1cky
When we moved out here our daughter was 4. Although our families supported us moving here and understood our reasons, seeing the pain and upset in their faces when they see their granddaughter is awful. I know we have put them through such pain, and selfish though it may be I really hope our daughter doesn't do that to us.
Our daughter was 11 when we moved...she is now 25. She was and still is the only grandchild on my husband's side. She is the eldest of 3 grandchildren on my side. So I understand what you're saying...in fact I could have written your post myself. We're thinking about moving to be near our daughter. Losing our parents this last year has made us realise just how important immediate family is.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:34 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Our daughter was 11 when we moved...she is now 25. She was and still is the only grandchild on my husband's side. She is the eldest of 3 grandchildren on my side. So I understand what you're saying...in fact I could have written your post myself. We're thinking about moving to be near our daughter. Losing our parents this last year has made us realise just how important immediate family is.
Our situation is similar, only grandchild on hubby's side, and on my side the other grandchildren are all in their 20's.

I don't blame you for wanting to move to be near your daughter, I think I would do so in your position.

It's also something that I think people need to be aware of before making the the decision to move countries. Although work wise we didn't have much choice but come out here, I feel we were really selfish in our focus on how it would affect us and didn't think much about what we were doing to our parents and our futures.

It's so easy to say 'well if we don't like it we can go home' but how many times have we seen on here that people feel trapped due to not wanting to leave their grown up children and grandkids. Sometimes you just set yourself up for living your life in limbo.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:11 am
Just Joined

kel. is just really nicekel. is just really nicekel. is just really nicekel. is just really nicekel. is just really nicekel. is just really nicekel. is just really nicekel. is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your opinions/advice.

I totally understand what most of you are saying about the family thing but like I said in an earlier reply we don't really have a close family (other than my sis/neice) so I don't think, for me, that would be a massive issue. I only have one living parent (my mom) and we are not that close.

I suppose I'm worried about making a huge mistake (which wouldn't just effect me and my hubby but my kids as well)

Since reading some other posts I'm also worried about the work thing. Even though we are both prepared to do any kind of job, it's still a worry.

As for what someone said about what if in so many years we want to come back but our eldest doesn't. Well what if we didn't go and in so many years my eldest says he's emigrating. I think thats a no win situation. I also think as parents we all want our kids to do what's right for them (whether we like it or not)

Reading this back to myself it sounds like I've made my mind up to give it a go but I haven't, I have too many worries about it yet.

I appreicate what everyone is saying whether they are positive or negative views

Oh and jerseygirl you didn't offend me at all. I understand what you meant.

Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Our situation is similar, only grandchild on hubby's side, and on my side the other grandchildren are all in their 20's.

I don't blame you for wanting to move to be near your daughter, I think I would do so in your position.

It's also something that I think people need to be aware of before making the the decision to move countries. Although work wise we didn't have much choice but come out here, I feel we were really selfish in our focus on how it would affect us and didn't think much about what we were doing to our parents and our futures.

It's so easy to say 'well if we don't like it we can go home' but how many times have we seen on here that people feel trapped due to not wanting to leave their grown up children and grandkids. Sometimes you just set yourself up for living your life in limbo.
It's all part of the 'curse of the expats' syndrome.

We are lucky we already have a place in Canada and can stay there for 6 months of the year. Our daughter will eventually sponsor us to be residents.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:22 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved out here our daughter was 4. Although our families supported us moving here and understood our reasons, seeing the pain and upset in their faces when they see their granddaughter is awful. I know we have put them through such pain, and selfish though it may be I really hope our daughter doesn't do that to us.
I was like this too - didn't give it a thought. Just told them I was going. I didn't (and don't) have kids, but it doesn't make it any less callous. My only excuse is that I was 24 and therefore innately selfish! Now I regret the time I lost with them and I regret hurting them by leaving. OTOH, my dad had lots of great vacations over here before he died and he never would have had those travel experience if I hadn't moved here, so that makes me feel a little better.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:37 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kel.
Thank you everyone for your opinions/advice.

I totally understand what most of you are saying about the family thing but like I said in an earlier reply we don't really have a close family (other than my sis/neice) so I don't think, for me, that would be a massive issue. I only have one living parent (my mom) and we are not that close.

I suppose I'm worried about making a huge mistake (which wouldn't just effect me and my hubby but my kids as well)

Since reading some other posts I'm also worried about the work thing. Even though we are both prepared to do any kind of job, it's still a worry.

As for what someone said about what if in so many years we want to come back but our eldest doesn't. Well what if we didn't go and in so many years my eldest says he's emigrating. I think thats a no win situation. I also think as parents we all want our kids to do what's right for them (whether we like it or not)

Reading this back to myself it sounds like I've made my mind up to give it a go but I haven't, I have too many worries about it yet.

I appreicate what everyone is saying whether they are positive or negative views

Oh and jerseygirl you didn't offend me at all. I understand what you meant.

Thanks
We weren't close to our family either, but its amazing how you feel knowing you can get in the car and see them as opposed to knowing you can't see them.

Also, I think it is a different experience to leave your children behind, as opposed to them leaving you. One is your choice the other isn't.

It's good that you are taking the time and thought to go through these things before making a decision. Lots of us didn't and I'm sure it will help you make a balanced decision in the end
It's all part of the 'curse of the expats' syndrome.

We are lucky we already have a place in Canada and can stay there for 6 months of the year. Our daughter will eventually sponsor us to be residents.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was like this too - didn't give it a thought. Just told them I was going. I didn't (and don't) have kids, but it doesn't make it any less callous. My only excuse is that I was 24 and therefore innately selfish! Now I regret the time I lost with them and I regret hurting them by leaving. OTOH, my dad had lots of great vacations over here before he died and he never would have had those travel experience if I hadn't moved here, so that makes me feel a little better.
Thats nice that you gave your Dad (and yourself) some nice memories. My dad has been here once, I still have no idea if he enjoyed it or not. I can't imagine he will come again. I can't imagine hubby's Mum will ever come out to visit.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You know its so true, we just got up and left and although for me it was just for a year i know now my husband planned all long to make it a life time, with never a thought for my mum or his parents........or for anyone missing out on our beautiful children growing up, twins age 4 and a 6 year old.....Oh dear this all makes me too sad.......OP I hope you get some great advice in the Aus forum....get both sides of it.
Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:56 am
Just Joined

postman62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone this might be a long winded post (sorry in advance)
My husband joined this forum the other day because he REALLY wants to emigrate and I'm not 100% sure but I have found that I have been on the forum the last couple of days more and reading alot more about it. I have joined for myself because there are alot of posts I feel relate to me and how i feel.

Where do I start
Well I'm 30 and married with 2 children (boys aged 12 and 8) I've been with my hubby since I was 15 and don't know what I would do without him. I can say I would do anything for him but emigrating! wow that's a big one.
He mentioned it about 2 years ago and I said NO straight away and told him to forget about it as I would never leave. I can't say it's because I am very close to my family because I'm not there only my sister and neice who I know I would miss dearly.
Anyway a while back we looked online on the visa bureau just to see if we qualified for Australia and we did. I was quite excited when it said we qualified on points but then soon after the thought of leaving got to much and every time it was mentioned I cried.
My hubby does make me feel guilty because he says he wants our kids to have a better life and in the UK there is no future for them. I want the best for our kids too but who's saying it will be better in Oz.
We have spoke to the kids and our 12 year says he wouldn't be bothered (but deep down I think he would, he just likes to please his dad, bless him) but our 8 year old says no, he doesn't want to leave his school (gotta love him)
Saying all of this since reading what other people have wrote I am thinking about it all the time and I think I would like to give it ago. However, I still don't want to leave my sister and neice. We have asked some of our family members what they would do and most say they would go tomorrow if they could my sister included but I just don't know.

I do feel like I'm being selfish because I'm only thinking of how I would feel leaving my sis/neice behind.
It's just a massive decision to make!!

On the plus side though we are going to Australia for 3 weeks the end of this year and I have said I'm not making any final decisions until we've been on holiday.

Sorry if I've gone on and on but I have tried to shorten a bit
Thanks for reading
I really would think long and hard about emigrating and if you have any doubts at all I would say don't do it. I emigrated to Canada a year ago with my husband and 2 sons and absolutely hate it here and really do long to go home, I didn't think I would miss the UK so much. I can't even say it's family and friends that I miss because I only have my dad and sister, it's England itself. My husbands and kids love it and don't want to move back and people in the UK tell us to stick it out, but it's really hard being in a place you hate feeling homesick. I don't even think that coming here will give us a better life, which is why we came in the first place. I wake up every morning with a feeling of dread knowing that I'm stuck here and going home isn't an option at the moment because if cost so much for us to get here we can't afford to go back. I had been to Canada 4 times before we made the move here and loved it, but it's a lot different spending 2 weeks in another country to living there permenantly. Please think very carefully about it
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:32 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't do it.
Right.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:58 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I try to come to terms with it by telling myself that she's happy and that's all that matters...but deep down there's a void.
I suspect that's how my parents feel, even though they would never admit it.
They always told me "as long as you're happy we're happy for you, wherever you want to live".
But I know from what I heard that they really weren't happy about me not being there for months after I left.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:26 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't do it.
I think this is the most sensible answer to a post I have ever read.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone this might be a long winded post (sorry in advance)
My husband joined this forum the other day because he REALLY wants to emigrate and I'm not 100% sure but I have found that I have been on the forum the last couple of days more and reading alot more about it. I have joined for myself because there are alot of posts I feel relate to me and how i feel.

Where do I start
Well I'm 30 and married with 2 children (boys aged 12 and 8) I've been with my hubby since I was 15 and don't know what I would do without him. I can say I would do anything for him but emigrating! wow that's a big one.
He mentioned it about 2 years ago and I said NO straight away and told him to forget about it as I would never leave. I can't say it's because I am very close to my family because I'm not there only my sister and neice who I know I would miss dearly.
Anyway a while back we looked online on the visa bureau just to see if we qualified for Australia and we did. I was quite excited when it said we qualified on points but then soon after the thought of leaving got to much and every time it was mentioned I cried.
My hubby does make me feel guilty because he says he wants our kids to have a better life and in the UK there is no future for them. I want the best for our kids too but who's saying it will be better in Oz.
We have spoke to the kids and our 12 year says he wouldn't be bothered (but deep down I think he would, he just likes to please his dad, bless him) but our 8 year old says no, he doesn't want to leave his school (gotta love him)
Saying all of this since reading what other people have wrote I am thinking about it all the time and I think I would like to give it ago. However, I still don't want to leave my sister and neice. We have asked some of our family members what they would do and most say they would go tomorrow if they could my sister included but I just don't know.

I do feel like I'm being selfish because I'm only thinking of how I would feel leaving my sis/neice behind.
It's just a massive decision to make!!

On the plus side though we are going to Australia for 3 weeks the end of this year and I have said I'm not making any final decisions until we've been on holiday.

Sorry if I've gone on and on but I have tried to shorten a bit
Thanks for reading
This is a hard one....as we all have our own reasons for doing things.....the first important things is though you both really have to be positive about what you are doing....a bit like say buying a house...most have to really agree on the when,where,price etc you'd be mad not to and the same applies in some ways to migration...you really have to way up the whole picture...and then do all the homework in the world (we did none of this.lol...but some did and still hated life in their new countries so no guarerentees there I am affraid) as for better this and that....a lot of that is tosh.....it's all swings and roundabouts and what and how you make out of life....we had a very full and active lifestyle outdoor and indoor lifestlye here in the UK before we left the UK for Aus...so for us thats a moot point....our sons did very well in education here in the UK and found education to be poorer in WA both private and public...but then maybe thats down to the schools we choose, our sons still did well though as we educated them also at home and when we went overseas on our travels so again it's not all black and white....we lived in a nice area before we left Aus and had no trouble at all and still don't in the same area although we do not live there now, yet in Aus we lived in a very,very nice area and saw all kinds of things we did not expect to see or hear....but maybe that was down to having very bad neighbours etc ......all I know from our experience is someone asked me to move abroad now it would have to be something/somewhere exceptional as the price of good friends/family and what we enjoy here in the UK and abroad is just too much to loose on a whim....(not saying your doing this on a whim...) if you have the itch though you have to scratch it....life is never certain.....what I value as a quality in my life your oh might laugh at, we are all different...go on holiday but remember it is a holiday...a bit like going to the med...who has not thought of living there lol...but living and working there is never the same as being on holiday.....and we do have winters in Aus....yep even snow.....lol...that suprises some when we tell them....also it is fine for people to say they would go in a shot....well why don't they?...they might have reasons but we have met all types who have "arrived" in Aus in all manner of shapes and forms to get their and not all on points etc.....some have gone to great lengths so it can be done....all the best and try and talk to your OH about how you really feel.....don't forget what can be a good job here is not always the case in Aus...visa versa....