Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hi all.. a couple of questions..

Hi all.. a couple of questions..

Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of
Question Hi all.. a couple of questions..

Hi all,

New to this site and am amazed at how much info and advice is on here, it's great! After 4 years in Brisbane I'm returning back to England and have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with, as nothing has come up when I did a thread search..

Does anyone know if I'm able to take my wooden acoustic guitar and wooden chess set back with me? I've checked the custom's site but can't find anything there.

Also, am I able to use my laptop on the plane?

Thanks, I'm off to browse the threads
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hi all.. a couple of questions..

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
Hi all,

Does anyone know if I'm able to take my wooden acoustic guitar and wooden chess set back with me? I've checked the custom's site but can't find anything there.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't import your chess set and guitar. People travel with musical instruments all the time. Just think of the orchestral tours.

As for your laptop - yes you can use it once airborne. I am assuming here you are not talking about connecting to www, which is another issue entirely. Believe some operators are trialling mobile use which effectively is what you would be doing but my suspicion is the cost would be pretty horrendous!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Hi all,

New to this site and am amazed at how much info and advice is on here, it's great! After 4 years in Brisbane I'm returning back to England and have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with, as nothing has come up when I did a thread search..

Hi and welcome!
Certainly the guitar will be no probs although pack it well as mine was snapped at the neck! I would guess the same for the chess set unless its made of some exotic material - you'd have to check with the shippers I guess.
Good luck with your move back home too!
Dan
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi all,

Yes and yes. If we can take our guns, i'm sure a wooden guitar will be no probs
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I'm sure you'll be fine - United doesn't fly from Oz to the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm sure you'll be fine - United doesn't fly from Oz to the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Love that video Of course my OH would say serves him right for not putting it in a proper flight case
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:05 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have any problem with the laptop, save for the battery eventually running out of juice. I would recommend the website http://www.seatguru.com/ for advice on which seats on which planes / airlines come with electrical sockets so you can recharge your laptop in flight. It's also pretty good for telling you which seats don't recline, are too small, etc.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Hi all.. a couple of questions..

Thank you for all your replies and apologies for the delay in replying. Split shifts can be a PITA!

I didn't know about mobile use for the www green_shutters yeah i imagine that would be horrendously priced! I can live without the net for 24 hours..i know I can!

Thanks for the info and good luck Dan, haven't got a shipper to check with, we're hauling it all back in suitcases (except for the guitar which is in a hard case. Will get some foam to protect the neck though.

LOL Nu-Shooz you got guns in? wowza and here am I freaking out cus a workmate wants me to take back some vegemite for her mum!

Cool video dunroving thankfully am going BA (fingers crossed they're more careful).. A 'proper' flight case Elaine B? One of the hard cases will be ok right? Never heard of flight cases til now..

Thanks very much for that link penguinsix, gonna check that out right now!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

A 'proper' flight case Elaine B? One of the hard cases will be ok right? Never heard of flight cases til now..
By flight case I mean something like this:

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk...p?groupID=4661

My OH is a guitar tech and this is how most bands pack their instruments, much more sturdy than your average hard guitar case. Though I'm sure most of the time a regular hard case will be just fine.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh thanks ElaineB