help with benefits

Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:02 am
Just Joined

aliceinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help with benefits

Hi all, I have just had a look at the UK benefits website and went through the process of answering questions to ascertain how much benefits we (as a family) are entitled to.
I don't want to claim benefits (honestly ), but may need to for a short time untill one of us finds work.
My question is......My other half has never worked in the UK, and I only worked from aged 17 up to aged 28.Then left for Oz.
The website gave us a figure that we are entitled to claim, but I seem to recall someone saying something about it being contribution based, and was wondering how much this may effect our entitlements.
Hopefully it will only be short term anyway,but we need something to live on in the mean time.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help with benefits

Will you pass the Habitual Residency Test ? You need to get over that hurdle first.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

hi, I sent you a Personal Message..
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Will you pass the Habitual Residency Test ? You need to get over that hurdle first.
thanks........pm sent.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, pm sent to Morayeel not you. But thanks for your response.
Habitual Residency should'nt be a problem.We will be able to show that we have returned for good,and intend to stay.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is Residence not Residency - sorry for that. One of the side effects of this is that you have to pass the test before benefits are paid - there can be a delay. And the decision may be, for example, that you will not get benefits immediately. I know of cases where benefits were only paid from an arbitrary date some time after arrival.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...nefits_hrt.htm

Last edited by scot47; Dec 7th 2012 at 4:43 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

It is Residence not Residency - sorry for that. One of the side effects of this is that you have tp pass the test before benefits are paid - there can be a delay. And the decision may be, for example, that you will not get benefits immediately. I know of cases where benefits were only paid from an arbitrary date some time after arrival.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...nefits_hrt.htm
Thanks, we will try and allow for a waiting period, i.e with savings.
But knowing we will get some help will be of some comfort.
Fingers crossed we wont even need it
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

sent another PM..