Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help with areas to buy in pls!

Help with areas to buy in pls!

Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Preezie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help with areas to buy in pls!

Hi there. We are going to be moving to the UK in a few months. We want to purchase a property for under 600k. My hubby will be working from home most of the time, but will occasionally be required to go to his office in central London. He is considering driving to work if necessary and is therefore not too fussy about being close to a subway station. However, this would be an added bonus. Our main priority is our two kids aged 8 & 10. We want to move to an area which has good state schools and which is safe and relatively 'chav' free. We were considering the following areas....your comments on these areas will be much appreciated:

Epsom
Guildford
Croxley Green
Woking
Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent
Maidstone, Kent
Sevenoaks, Kent

We seem to be leaning more towards Epsom, Guildford & Croxley Green at the moment, but I would love to hear your opinions on these areas. Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:40 am

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with areas to buy in pls!

Bearing in mind I haven't lived around there for many years, I wouldn't recommend Croxley Green, but consider areas the other side of the M25 like Amersham, Little Chalfont and Chorleywood, all of which are on the underground, as driving into London is a nightmare, or Beaconsfield & Gerrards Cross which are on the main line and close to the M40.
I don't know what they're like for schools, and don't know the other areas you mentioned. Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

My sister lives in Wokingham (nr Reading). She was very happy with the state schools - her boys have done exceptionally well. Good communications/service to London and quite a few pretty spots. Although if I were commuting to London I'd choose St Albans every time!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I'd delay buying and rent for a while. You then get to 'test' an area and house prices have still further to fall, so you'll be able to buy the right house for less money next year.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with Meow about renting for a year or so until you identify areas more specifically. But hopefully I can help a little regarding Epsom and Guildford.

I was born in Epsom and spent many years in and around the Town. The Town itself is bustling and bust and has many options for shopping. I can't really comment on the schools as my school (Glyn) has changed dramatically to more of a technical school. There are lots of other schools around though but seeing as I have been away for a while you'll have to find people more in tune with them.

Epsom is really well connected to London with a main train station right into the city. There are plenty of areas around the town itself which are really pretty and in fact within just two miles of the town centre is real farmland with lots of walking and hiking trails and paths. The Epsom Downs is a great place to visit and the Epsom Derby is held there each year which is really fun too. I am surprised by the housing prices especially for smaller homes but in the region you're looking there seems to be some great options. Surrounding areas which would make gorgeous places to live also include Banstead, Burgh Heath, Tadworth, Ewell, Ashtead and Leatherhead, Great Bookham, Mickleham (right by Boxhill) and even parts of Chessington and out towards Hampton and Kingston. Esher is gorgeous and very pricey.

Guildford is a bigger town and a bit further out but we used to make a day to go there for Christmas shopping some years. There are some beautiful towns out that way too. But it's that much further out if you're commuting into London.

Good luck with your move and search for a place to live!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Epsom and Guildford: really nice places.

Lived in Guildford for 10 years. Lovely countryside around it, not too far from the coast (well and hour or so down the leafy lanes), very attractive town centre.