Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hello moving back to the UK after 20 yrs in USA

Hello moving back to the UK after 20 yrs in USA

Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Palmbeachbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello moving back to the UK after 20 yrs in USA

Any advice as I am moving back to the London area as far as benefits for rent etc goes as I have lost my job in America and forced back to britain to jobhunt
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello moving back to the UK after 20 yrs in USA

After 20 years I doubt they'd help with rent or benefits. Maybe you could sign onto some temp agencies before arrival, I've heard others say they got straight to work that way.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit
Any advice as I am moving back to the London area as far as benefits for rent etc goes as I have lost my job in America and forced back to britain to jobhunt
try www.gumtree.com for accom and jobs.....don't count on any benefits.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you get hold of The Lady magazine and look for a live in job.

Your other posts say you've been working as a butler/valet for rich people illegally in the States for 20 years so you would surely have some savings stashed away to enable you to support yourself.

Check out posts by a poster called 'whereamifrom'. He had limited funds, couldn't get benefits in the UK after a long time away but used his initiative and got himself a live in job as a start.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

aussiecaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont mean to be rude or upfront, but why would the first question you ask be about benefits? why dont you post your CV on job boards and be pro-active before you arrive? If you want to live in London and find jobs in london I would start there first. If you're worried about the first few months of living costs look on gumtree.com, they quite often have short term lets to cover rent and or bill whilst people are away on holidays. You can quite often find something cheap that will help you out for the first few months.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

I agree....but curious how would they know how long you have been out? Also, i am hearing that EU's go straight in and get provided housing and benefits etc....or are those that are claiming asylum? Not sure exactly....

Thanks,

Originally Posted by aussiecaz
I dont mean to be rude or upfront, but why would the first question you ask be about benefits? why dont you post your CV on job boards and be pro-active before you arrive? If you want to live in London and find jobs in london I would start there first. If you're worried about the first few months of living costs look on gumtree.com, they quite often have short term lets to cover rent and or bill whilst people are away on holidays. You can quite often find something cheap that will help you out for the first few months.