Hello

Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

mexibrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello

I've been lurking on the USA forum for a few months now and thought I would introduce myself...

I've been away from UK since 1994, spent 6 years in France and Belgium, then moved to the US in 2000 on a H1B visa. Moved to Mexico in 2004 and lived in Quintana Roo and Mexico City. I married a sweet Mexican girl and also became a Mexican citizen. Mexico was great for us financially, and we still own 3 houses and various pieces of land down there. All this time I had continued traveling to the US most weeks for work and my US green card finally arrived at the end of 2008. In May of this year we moved to Texas (actually Grapevine just north of DFW airport) since you are meant to be resident if you have a green card.

I'm originally from the Nottingham area and also lived in Lancaster and Banbury.
I can honestly say that I have never been homesick for even a minute although I do occasionally miss food and candy from the UK - but I can buy most of that from The World Market or Kroger here in Dallas. And my wife now knows how to make a British roast dinner although I had to persuade not to add serano peppers and limones to everything...

I haven't seen any expat meetups publicized in the forums so if anyone knows of any in the DFW area, please let me know.

If anyone needs any help on living or moving to Mexico I can probably help out...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Hi and welcome to BE. I live just west of Fort Worth..how are you liking the rain this weekend
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

meetup.com is quite literalllly the site to look at.
It works for the bay area maybe it'll help for your area.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:36 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mexibrit
I've been lurking on the USA forum for a few months now and thought I would introduce myself...

I've been away from UK since 1994, spent 6 years in France and Belgium, then moved to the US in 2000 on a H1B visa. Moved to Mexico in 2004 and lived in Quintana Roo and Mexico City. I married a sweet Mexican girl and also became a Mexican citizen. Mexico was great for us financially, and we still own 3 houses and various pieces of land down there. All this time I had continued traveling to the US most weeks for work and my US green card finally arrived at the end of 2008. In May of this year we moved to Texas (actually Grapevine just north of DFW airport) since you are meant to be resident if you have a green card.

I'm originally from the Nottingham area and also lived in Lancaster and Banbury.
I can honestly say that I have never been homesick for even a minute although I do occasionally miss food and candy from the UK - but I can buy most of that from The World Market or Kroger here in Dallas. And my wife now knows how to make a British roast dinner although I had to persuade not to add serano peppers and limones to everything...

I haven't seen any expat meetups publicized in the forums so if anyone knows of any in the DFW area, please let me know.

If anyone needs any help on living or moving to Mexico I can probably help out...
But does she include sprouts?

Welcome to BE.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:33 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, and hello from Plano!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

lisa67: not enjoying the rain at all. But it's better than tornadoes at least...

mayhemuk: I'll give meetup.com a try - thanks for the info.

tonrob: if you mean brussels sprouts, we occasionally find them here in the Kroger, we even found them in Walmart in Mexico but the quality is usually pretty bad.

dbj1000: thanks for the welcome.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Take a look through these you may find something of interest...if not why not open your own thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Mexibrit We lived pretty close to Banbury for a few years, we were in Bicester
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Welcome Mexibrit We lived pretty close to Banbury for a few years, we were in Bicester
I used to live in Northampton, and popped to Bicester shopping quite a bit
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and hello from Miami.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Lancaster while I was a student - nice place.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
There's a few folks here from around that area

Anyway, welcome to BE
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:38 pm
James (UK) and Laura (TX)

LJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really nice

Couldn't help but notice this thread. I was born in Oxford and lived in Bicester before my parents moved the family down to Hampshire. I remember going shopping in Banbury and eating Whimpy's...

Anyway, I am sure you have found it by now but there is always the British Emporium located in Grapevine, TX for English goodies- http://www.british-emporium.com/

I now live in Lewisville.

Regards,

James

Last edited by LJwedding09; Jan 22nd 2010 at 8:43 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LJwedding09
Couldn't help but notice this thread. I was born in Oxford and lived in Bicester before my parents moved the family down to Hampshire. I remember going shopping in Banbury and eating Whimpy's...

Anyway, I am sure you have found it by now but there is always the British Emporium located in Grapevine, TX for English goodies- http://www.british-emporium.com/

I now live in Lewisville right by Vista Ridge Mall so its all very close.

Regards,

James
Hey James,

Yes we found the British Emporium. Also Fiesta Mart and La Michoacana and a bunch of others for the all Mexican stuff I miss.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:06 pm
James (UK) and Laura (TX)

LJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really nice

Hey James,

Yes we found the British Emporium. Also Fiesta Mart and La Michoacana and a bunch of others for the all Mexican stuff I miss.
Glad to hear it!