British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/hello-630579/)

mexibrit Sep 13th 2009 8:40 pm

Hello

I've been lurking on the USA forum for a few months now and thought I would introduce myself...

I've been away from UK since 1994, spent 6 years in France and Belgium, then moved to the US in 2000 on a H1B visa. Moved to Mexico in 2004 and lived in Quintana Roo and Mexico City. I married a sweet Mexican girl and also became a Mexican citizen. Mexico was great for us financially, and we still own 3 houses and various pieces of land down there. All this time I had continued traveling to the US most weeks for work and my US green card finally arrived at the end of 2008. In May of this year we moved to Texas (actually Grapevine just north of DFW airport) since you are meant to be resident if you have a green card.

I'm originally from the Nottingham area and also lived in Lancaster and Banbury.
I can honestly say that I have never been homesick for even a minute although I do occasionally miss food and candy from the UK - but I can buy most of that from The World Market or Kroger here in Dallas. And my wife now knows how to make a British roast dinner although I had to persuade not to add serano peppers and limones to everything... :)

I haven't seen any expat meetups publicized in the forums so if anyone knows of any in the DFW area, please let me know.

If anyone needs any help on living or moving to Mexico I can probably help out...

lisa67 Sep 13th 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Hello

Hi and welcome to BE. I live just west of Fort Worth..how are you liking the rain this weekend :ohmy:

mayhemuk Sep 13th 2009 9:29 pm

meetup.com is quite literalllly the site to look at.
It works for the bay area maybe it'll help for your area.

tonrob Sep 13th 2009 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mexibrit (Post 7928356)
I've been lurking on the USA forum for a few months now and thought I would introduce myself...

I've been away from UK since 1994, spent 6 years in France and Belgium, then moved to the US in 2000 on a H1B visa. Moved to Mexico in 2004 and lived in Quintana Roo and Mexico City. I married a sweet Mexican girl and also became a Mexican citizen. Mexico was great for us financially, and we still own 3 houses and various pieces of land down there. All this time I had continued traveling to the US most weeks for work and my US green card finally arrived at the end of 2008. In May of this year we moved to Texas (actually Grapevine just north of DFW airport) since you are meant to be resident if you have a green card.

I'm originally from the Nottingham area and also lived in Lancaster and Banbury.
I can honestly say that I have never been homesick for even a minute although I do occasionally miss food and candy from the UK - but I can buy most of that from The World Market or Kroger here in Dallas. And my wife now knows how to make a British roast dinner although I had to persuade not to add serano peppers and limones to everything... :)

I haven't seen any expat meetups publicized in the forums so if anyone knows of any in the DFW area, please let me know.

If anyone needs any help on living or moving to Mexico I can probably help out...

But does she include sprouts?

Welcome to BE. :)

dbj1000 Sep 13th 2009 10:33 pm

Welcome to BE, and hello from Plano!

mexibrit Sep 14th 2009 1:28 am

lisa67: not enjoying the rain at all. But it's better than tornadoes at least...

mayhemuk: I'll give meetup.com a try - thanks for the info.

tonrob: if you mean brussels sprouts, we occasionally find them here in the Kroger, we even found them in Walmart in Mexico but the quality is usually pretty bad.

dbj1000: thanks for the welcome.

Jerseygirl Sep 14th 2009 3:35 am

Welcome to BE. :)

Take a look through these you may find something of interest...if not why not open your own thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Englishtart Sep 14th 2009 12:41 pm

Welcome Mexibrit :) We lived pretty close to Banbury for a few years, we were in Bicester :)

lisa67 Sep 14th 2009 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7930129)
Welcome Mexibrit :) We lived pretty close to Banbury for a few years, we were in Bicester :)

I used to live in Northampton, and popped to Bicester shopping quite a bit :)

anotherlimey Sep 14th 2009 7:38 pm

Welcome and hello from Miami.

helwardman Sep 14th 2009 7:45 pm

I lived in Lancaster while I was a student - nice place.

Bob Sep 14th 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7930129)

There's a few folks here from around that area :)

Anyway, welcome to BE :)

LJwedding09 Jan 22nd 2010 8:38 pm

Couldn't help but notice this thread. I was born in Oxford and lived in Bicester before my parents moved the family down to Hampshire. I remember going shopping in Banbury and eating Whimpy's...

Anyway, I am sure you have found it by now but there is always the British Emporium located in Grapevine, TX for English goodies- http://www.british-emporium.com/

I now live in Lewisville.

Regards,

James

mexibrit Jan 22nd 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by LJwedding09 (Post 8273642)
Couldn't help but notice this thread. I was born in Oxford and lived in Bicester before my parents moved the family down to Hampshire. I remember going shopping in Banbury and eating Whimpy's...

Anyway, I am sure you have found it by now but there is always the British Emporium located in Grapevine, TX for English goodies- http://www.british-emporium.com/

I now live in Lewisville right by Vista Ridge Mall so its all very close.

Regards,

James

Hey James,

Yes we found the British Emporium. Also Fiesta Mart and La Michoacana and a bunch of others for the all Mexican stuff I miss.

LJwedding09 Jan 22nd 2010 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by mexibrit (Post 8273654)
Hey James,

Yes we found the British Emporium. Also Fiesta Mart and La Michoacana and a bunch of others for the all Mexican stuff I miss.

Glad to hear it!