Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Healthcare system in the UK vs other European countries?

Healthcare system in the UK vs other European countries?

Old Jun 26th 2019, 12:50 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthcare system in the UK vs other European countries?

I'm sure many of you have used the NHS and also have information on the systems in some of the other European countries. The wife and I will be living in the UK but will also have a vacation place in a different country. Healthcare is a necessary concern in picking our second home. There might be times when we can access healthcare needs in the UK and other situations might be best handled in another country depending on the circumstance. Which countries have the better healthcare system including dental? We're looking at Portugal, Spain, Greece, Belgium, France, Malta, Italy,? Just out of curiosity how does Ireland's healthcare system rank compared to the UK?

Here in the States it's not unusual for Americans to travel down to Costa Rica and other south of the boarder countries that specialize in certain procedures.

Thank you
Old Jun 26th 2019, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare system in the UK vs other European countries?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm sure many of you have used the NHS and also have information on the systems in some of the other European countries. The wife and I will be living in the UK but will also have a vacation place in a different country. Healthcare is a necessary concern in picking our second home. There might be times when we can access healthcare needs in the UK and other situations might be best handled in another country depending on the circumstance. Which countries have the better healthcare system including dental? We're looking at Portugal, Spain, Greece, Belgium, France, Malta, Italy,? Just out of curiosity how does Ireland's healthcare system rank compared to the UK?

Here in the States it's not unusual for Americans to travel down to Costa Rica and other south of the boarder countries that specialize in certain procedures.

Thank you
It's very hard to say which system is better and for each individual it will be different. For holidays we can use our European Health Insurance Card https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559
I live in Ireland and the system is very different to the UK, as we have a Two-tier healthcare system. Many public hospitals are currently overcrowded but if you have private health insurance which around 50% of the population have, you can easily avoid the waiting lists. There are some excellent clinics but I always say that it's not the system that counts and more important is the treatment you get. When I was living and working in Germany, a huge amount of my salary was taken out each month to fund the system. Because they pay so much tax, people even go when they have a cold and you'd often see overcrowded rooms. A so called good system is also worth nothing if the doctor treating you doesn't have a clue. Otherwise any person can use the crossborder healthcare scheme which gives you access to any country in Europe https://ec.europa.eu/health/cross_bo...re/overview_en
There are now even companies who assist people with crossborder (reimbursment, paperwork, clinic lists etc.) because most people don't know it exists. That's the great thing about Europe and the EU, as you can basically pick and choose. If the best hip replacement clinic is in the Netherlands go there and if you need a new knee go to France etc.:-)

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 26th 2019 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 2:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353

Thank you
You do realise that you need to be resident in the UK to use the NHS? Its not a question of being able to nip over there because you fancy getting treated there instead of in Spain, for example
Old Jun 26th 2019, 3:01 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's very hard to say which system is better and for each individual it will be different. For holidays we can use our European Health Insurance Card https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559
I live in Ireland and the system is very different to the UK, as we have a Two-tier healthcare system. Many public hospitals are currently overcrowded but if you have private health insurance which around 50% of the population have, you can easily avoid the waiting lists. There are some excellent clinics but I always say that it's not the system that counts and more important is the treatment you get. When I was living and working in Germany, a huge amount of my salary was taken out each month to fund the system. Because they pay so much tax, people even go when they have a cold and you'd often see overcrowded rooms. A so called good system is also worth nothing if the doctor treating you doesn't have a clue. Otherwise any person can use the crossborder healthcare scheme which gives you access to any country in Europe https://ec.europa.eu/health/cross_bo...re/overview_en
There are now even companies who assist people with crossborder (reimbursment, paperwork, clinic lists etc.) because most people don't know it exists. That's the great thing about Europe and the EU, as you can basically pick and choose. If the best hip replacement clinic is in the Netherlands go there and if you need a new knee go to France etc.:-)
Thank you for that very thorough response. Although we'll have the NHS as a option the plan is to also have private insurance. This is going to be a interesting learning curve.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 3:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You do realise that you need to be resident in the UK to use the NHS?
Yes, and we're good.

Old Jun 27th 2019, 5:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Brexit will impact your plans.
Right now, you can use your EHIC to get emergency treatment whilst on holiday in another EU country. Post Brexit, you will need to have private travel health insurance.
I think french healthcare is excellent after living there for 11 years, the statistics bear out my anecdotes as well.
A friend has a company that arranges elective surgeries in France for people from elsewhere ( including the USA - they have a contract with Walmart insurers so that employees can choose to get certain procedures done in France at no cost to the employee,the employee gets a free vacation out of it and Walmart save $$$$ because france is so cheap compared to USA health care
Old Jun 27th 2019, 11:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Well, Brexit will impact your plans.
Right now, you can use your EHIC to get emergency treatment whilst on holiday in another EU country. Post Brexit, you will need to have private travel health insurance.
I think french healthcare is excellent after living there for 11 years, the statistics bear out my anecdotes as well.
A friend has a company that arranges elective surgeries in France for people from elsewhere ( including the USA - they have a contract with Walmart insurers so that employees can choose to get certain procedures done in France at no cost to the employee,the employee gets a free vacation out of it and Walmart save $$$$ because france is so cheap compared to USA health care
Now that is not a Walmart story heard every day at least not here in America. Walmart is pretty notorious for under paying and mistreating their hard working employees. It's not surprising that a Walmart insurer & Walmart would try to save money on employees but it is nice to hear the employees would gain a nice trip because of it.

I've listen to other people describe the healthcare in France and most opinions did reflect positive outcomes with satisfied patients.