Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ToR (Transfer of Residence) Timeline Update

ToR (Transfer of Residence) Timeline Update

Old May 7th 2019, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute
Default ToR (Transfer of Residence) Timeline Update

Hi all!

Thought this might be helpful to people who are in the process of moving from the US to the UK.

We submitted our ToR form on April 24th via email and got the usual acknowledgement email back, but heard nothing after that. Today, we called the team in the UK and spoke to a very nice gentleman who informed us that they're currently dealing with a backlog and are just now processing applications received on April 15th. Consequently, we are in for another two weeks' wait, and possibly longer than that.

In short, if you submit your ToR application today, you can probably expect a four or five week wait. Some shippers are okay with that, and really it's most important that the number comes before the goods hit the UK port; other shippers won't begin to move your items without the ToR in hand, so it's worth checking if you're unsure.

Also, the new ToR phone number is as follows (had to do some digging): 011 44 300 322 7064 — then it's option 4.

All the best to everyone!
Old May 7th 2019, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

GMT27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ToR (Transfer of Residence) Timeline Update

Thank you. This is very helpful. I will submit my application as soon as I receive confirmation from Cunard if I have the kennels I need for my 2 cats.
Old May 9th 2019, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Just a frame of reference for you - I applied for my TOR on April 1st and after a few emails back and forth due to a missing document I received my TOR number on April 29th. Bang on 4 weeks.
Old May 14th 2019, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Paul and Joanne is an unknown quantity at this point

can i ask, do we just need one TOR form ? what happens if we sent stuff back to the UK in two different ways? would we need a form for each shipment.
Old May 16th 2019, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

I called today (my application was sent April 23 and I’m flying with my 2 cats next week). Despite an email confirmation from HMRC when I sent my forms, my emails were not received because there is a 6MB limit for incoming emails. I couldn’t find this mentioned anywhere so may be useful to others to know. Apparently if you’re traveling with pets they try and do your forms first but the feedback I was give was the same as PrairieWriter and that they are currently 5 days behind their 14 day processing target.
Old May 22nd 2019, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
I called today (my application was sent April 23 and I’m flying with my 2 cats next week). Despite an email confirmation from HMRC when I sent my forms, my emails were not received because there is a 6MB limit for incoming emails. I couldn’t find this mentioned anywhere so may be useful to others to know. Apparently if you’re traveling with pets they try and do your forms first but the feedback I was give was the same as PrairieWriter and that they are currently 5 days behind their 14 day processing target.
so I’m sitting at the airport without my TOR so will be paying VAT when I land tomorrow. Moral of story, do your TOR as early as possible (sadly I wasn’t in a position to do mine earlier so will be paying and claiming back later!). Safe travels all
Old May 23rd 2019, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary

so I’m sitting at the airport without my TOR so will be paying VAT when I land tomorrow. Moral of story, do your TOR as early as possible (sadly I wasn’t in a position to do mine earlier so will be paying and claiming back later!). Safe travels all
Oh darn! I called today to check on the status of our application, and the very friendly lady told me that they were currently working on applications from April 23rd! Ours, sent on April 24th, should be done very soon. So, do check your email *before* you head through customs with your cat in the morning, as they might miraculously have your ToR done! Alternatively, give them a ring to see if they’ve done it as soon as they open. They may have completed your app but just not have sent the email yet!
Old May 28th 2019, 7:30 am
Just Joined

dragonfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Can I ask you about the ToR? I'm planning to list up for the ToR and just wondering how details it should be..
Old May 30th 2019, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update: we got our ToR number today! So, 26 working days from April 24th, or five weeks and one day, depending on how you like to think about it. We didn't get any requests for additional documentation: they're just very, very busy.
Old May 30th 2019, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dragonfruit
Hi,
Can I ask you about the ToR? I'm planning to list up for the ToR and just wondering how details it should be..
We went 'round room by room and basically eyeballed our things. We split the list up by room and estimated "boxes of paintings" or "pottery dishes" or "ten display easels" or "200 books" etc. We got our ToR today, so that was apparently sufficient for them to get on with things. I didn't want to reply before because we hadn't received our number, and I didn't want to mislead you if we were refused for not having our list in order! Anyway, our way seems to have been okay.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
We went 'round room by room and basically eyeballed our things. We split the list up by room and estimated "boxes of paintings" or "pottery dishes" or "ten display easels" or "200 books" etc. We got our ToR today, so that was apparently sufficient for them to get on with things. I didn't want to reply before because we hadn't received our number, and I didn't want to mislead you if we were refused for not having our list in order! Anyway, our way seems to have been okay.
Hi,
I tried to make a list and just wonder if you put the value of items in pounds, and enclosed any receipts of goods..
I went through the ToR application and it did not mention about the valuation of goods or receipts of goods, anything.
My document enclosing size only less than 1Mb, but I do not understand that some people are struggling to send the over limit..
Can you share your experience please? I have to send it asap.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
I tried to make a list and just wonder if you put the value of items in pounds, and enclosed any receipts of goods..
I went through the ToR application and it did not mention about the valuation of goods or receipts of goods, anything.
My document enclosing size only less than 1Mb, but I do not understand that some people are struggling to send the over limit..
Can you share your experience please? I have to send it asap.
Didn’t enclose any receipts, but did put estimated replacement value of each item in pounds, mainly because that’s what we saw other people doing. We scanned passport copies and enclosed the title for our house and then bundled all the scanned docs into a PDF, and then reduced the size of the PDF in Adobe Acrobat. We then put all docs, including the list (saved in PDF form), into a zip folder, which came out to about 5.8 mb.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter

Didn’t enclose any receipts, but did put estimated replacement value of each item in pounds, mainly because that’s what we saw other people doing. We scanned passport copies and enclosed the title for our house and then bundled all the scanned docs into a PDF, and then reduced the size of the PDF in Adobe Acrobat. We then put all docs, including the list (saved in PDF form), into a zip folder, which came out to about 5.8 mb.
5.8 mb is huge.. Did you scanned passport copies all member of family?(it didn't say) I just scanned my passport and list of goods and title deed of my house and application, and utility bill
It came up less than 1mb. Can you give me any idea what else I need to enclose?
One more question, in the description of situation in the UK, I put some information in the application, but when I print it out, it does not appear in the copy..just confusing..
Old Jun 1st 2019, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

5.8 mb is huge.. Did you scanned passport copies all member of family?(it didn't say) I just scanned my passport and list of goods and title deed of my house and application, and utility bill
It came up less than 1mb. Can you give me any idea what else I need to enclose?
One more question, in the description of situation in the UK, I put some information in the application, but when I print it out, it does not appear in the copy..just confusing..
Here's what we sent:

A cover letter to explain the contents
A printout of our application
The list of goods (with value in pounds), which we printed out and signed and then scanned back in
Black-and-white copies of the biometrics pages of all of our passports (five in total)
A copy of my husband's spouse visa
Twelve months of electricity bills to prove we have lived here for over 12 months
A copy of the title for our house in Scotland
A property transfer document for the house we live in now (we gave it to my stepson last September, so we don't own it or rent it, but will live here until we leave: we explained that in the cover letter)

That's all we enclosed. Your documents will probably vary, depending on what you have (particularly in relation to what you decide to enclose to prove you've been out of the country for 12 months or more). Anyhow, we got the ToR, so apparently they accepted what we sent! As far as the missing information goes: that also happened to us. No idea why! Since it doesn't get saved and sent anywhere electronically, it seems silly to put a field in and then not have it print, but there you go. Never heard anything about that, so my advice to you is not to worry about it. � ����

Last edited by PrairieWriter; Jun 1st 2019 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Derwig is an unknown quantity at this point

I submitted my ToR application on 12th May, and received the acknowledgement e-mail. I called today to check on progress as the 14 day timescale has passed, they are currently working on applications from April 25th, so are about three weeks behind 😬.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.