Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Have you benefited from living abroad?

Wikiposts

Have you benefited from living abroad?

Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:13 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you benefited from living abroad?

Originally Posted by Lara45
Well I'm still stuck in the USA and not quite sure how the hell Im going to get back yet but anyway ... I haven't benefited at all - I've tried really hard to come up with something but as hard as I try I just can't. It's been one long, hard slog and with nothing to show for the past five and a half years except a huge pile of debt and a mortgage that we're stuggling to pay.

As for enjoyment of life - there is none. Sorry if I sound so down - it doesn't help that my daughter has to go over to the UK for the summer holidays every year - she left yesterday - won't be back for another five weeks. I earn less now per hour than I did 20 years ago !! No paid sickness, no paid holidays - $10 per hour and that's my lot!! The last time I had a holiday was back in 2005 - 10 days in the UK. It's been very, very hard. OK that's enough of my moaning!!!!!
Yes the US is the top example of a capitalist economy. A capitalist economy is for capitalists. People with money. I dont have big money, but big by working class standards (my dad was a co-op groceries van driver)and I have 3 pensions so I dont have to work. My younger wife has a good job so I get great health benefits. So bully for me right now.

BUT the US is a third world nightmare if I lose my wad or my wife wants to retire early. I reckon I need a thousand a month just for her health insurance and another 600 for my medicare and I cant piggy back on her record for medicare as I cant do that til she is 62

So just underlying the easy life in the US for people who are comfortable, is a yawning pit of true poverty just waiting to catch them. That red passport is my most valuable asset, and it can save our lives and our assets if we are struck by health problems. An American must lose all their assets first before they can claim subsidies if their health insurance is able to slide out of their obligations. I feel so very sorry for all Americans if that happens - they lose so much before they can claim any subsidies - and the worst thing is they are brainwashed into thinking they have the best system when they are just a few words of policy fine print away from financial disaster

My wife and her brother used to work in health insurance back office and their bonuses and jobs depended on being able to find some way to deny people's claims. It wasn't too hard. If someone said they felt sad in the past, then their depression claim was rejected because of a 'pre existing condition'

I have only been here less than 2 years but already I am seeing this as normal and that is scary - back in England I would have been horrified
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by exvj
So just underlying the easy life in the US for people who are comfortable, is a yawning pit of true poverty just waiting to catch them. That red passport is my most valuable asset, and it can save our lives and our assets if we are struck by health problems. An American must lose all their assets first before they can claim subsidies if their health insurance is able to slide out of their obligations. I feel so very sorry for all Americans if that happens - they lose so much before they can claim any subsidies - and the worst thing is they are brainwashed into thinking they have the best system when they are just a few words of policy fine print away from financial disaster

My wife and her brother used to work in health insurance back office and their bonuses and jobs depended on being able to find some way to deny people's claims. It wasn't too hard. If someone said they felt sad in the past, then their depression claim was rejected because of a 'pre existing condition'

I have only been here less than 2 years but already I am seeing this as normal and that is scary - back in England I would have been horrified

All this is so true and you're completely right about many americans being brainwashed into thinking they have a great system and that countries with nationalised healthcare have substandard services; I've spoken to quite a few of them about this.. It is very scary to think that a serious illness over here could have the potential to bankrupt you!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozar
Why are you still on this forum if the uk is so good? Why don't you start living again?

Carol
I still post occasionally because there are people on the site who I like and I'm curious. Why are YOU posting on MBTTUK when you haven't even been to Aus?
BTW yes Scotland/England are vastly superior in my opinion.

So there