Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Have you benefited from living abroad?

Have you benefited from living abroad?

Old May 31st 2009, 6:49 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have you benefited from living abroad?

There are a lot of touching stories of people coming back to the UK on this forum but I was interested to know of the Britons who moved back, did you find the experience improved your life back in the UK or not i.e. financially, enabled you to get a better job, improved salary, better lifestyle, happier life.
Old May 31st 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have you benefited from living abroad?

Interesting question. As someone who's yet to leave the UK, I think it might also be interesting to know if the experience of living abroad changed people in any significant way: altered their perspectives and priorities, etc.

(Sorry, meonline... I'm not hijacking your thread! )
Old May 31st 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

dalaney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meonline
There are a lot of touching stories of people coming back to the UK on this forum but I was interested to know of the Britons who moved back, did you find the experience improved your life back in the UK or not i.e. financially, enabled you to get a better job, improved salary, better lifestyle, happier life.
Mentally yes, feel Ive changed and grown in a way I could never have done if I had stayed in the UK.

Financialy no.
Old May 31st 2009, 3:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It opened me up to all kinds of different ideas and lifestyles. I'm in California and it made me a different kind of parent that I thought I would be, if I'd stayed in the UK I think i'd have been very different in that area alone.
Old May 31st 2009, 3:58 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely didnt improve the finances! Sure changed my view of the world though, and for the better. It has also made me appreciate my homeland a hell of a lot more than i did.

I dont define success in monetary terms, but more on how happy you are inside as a person. I'd happily live in a tent and feel the way i do since coming home.
Old May 31st 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Definitely didnt improve the finances! Sure changed my view of the world though, and for the better. It has also made me appreciate my homeland a hell of a lot more than i did.

I dont define success in monetary terms, but more on how happy you are inside as a person. I'd happily live in a tent and feel the way i do since coming home.
Amen to that!
Old May 31st 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

I appreciate how very difficult life is for foreigners, in any country. I also really value being surrounded by people who have a similar outlook and background, who get sarcasm (god I missed every day humour).

Financially it was a disaster. Professionally, again, not so good. Would I do it again, no.
Old May 31st 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by dalaney
Mentally yes, feel Ive changed and grown in a way I could never have done if I had stayed in the UK.

Financialy no.
Exactly the same here - I'm pretty happy with myself now and looking forward to my future when I get back to the UK (9 weeks to go!).
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by meonline
I think it has helped. Have lived in the US for 6 years. Going back to England in a month, and the job I have been offered will pay 10k a year more than I earned before.

Not back in the UK yet, but already I think there is a benefit. Will be interesting to see how experiences/protocol for my line of work match the UK.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:46 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

It's changed me but really only in two ways, 1) it affirms what I know to be true about the UK, mostly that is it provides the opportunity to get ahead if you have the determination to succeed.
2) it's definately not the case in Australia. This doesn't apply to myself but more to Aussie colleagues who find themselves up against a corrupt business system which favours not them, but the greedy landlords. When they repeatedly fail because there is so much unfairness, ie rents doubling just after they've signed lease agreements, they are given the ungracious accolade of being herocially defined as 'the all blue Aussie battler'! Somehow they buy into this false praise and carry on suffering.
Reminds me of a hamster going round and round on a wheel. It gets faster and faster but gets nowhere.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

JulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really nice

I moved from London to NYC in 1996 - actually I was asked to work in NY for 6 months. Once the 6 months were up, I didn't want to leave and my employer didn't want me to go either! So I stayed and they sponsored me for a green card. Moving here was the best thing I ever did.

I really feel that if I had stayed in London, I would not have had the opportunities there that I got here, work-wise. The People in NYC could not have been friendlier. They love the accent (albeit, they confuse me for an Australian quite often!) and it's a great conversation starter. I've made many good friends since moving here and am now engaged to be married in August of this year.

I actually get home sick for the States when I visit the UK. I wouldn't dream of moving back. Mind you I never went through home-sickness, really. Sure I miss having a family close by, but not enough to move back. For me, I adapted to the lifestyle here very, very easily.

I have grown as a person too. I always felt there was something missing when I lived in London. Everything seemed to snap into place when I moved here.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Financially, no definitely not. Emotionally - not really for quite a long time now. Professionally -hmm not sure but I would have gone in quite a different direction had I stayed in UK and I think I would have enjoyed it more even though I had a good professional life here. Adventurousness - yes but not quite as much as living in PNG, that was an adventure!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:55 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely financially yes, have saved a nice nestegg. Personally, yes, has changed my approach to life and my viewpoint.

However, I think that it has possibly hindered my chances of re employment having been away from the UK job scene and may be held against me, particularly as I am at that 'crucial' age which may be seen as a little too old or unemployable.

The reality is I am better experienced and qualified than I woud have been if I had stayed in UK for the last 10 years.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doooooh
Definitely financially yes, have saved a nice nestegg. Personally, yes, has changed my approach to life and my viewpoint.

However, I think that it has possibly hindered my chances of re employment having been away from the UK job scene and may be held against me, particularly as I am at that 'crucial' age which may be seen as a little too old or unemployable.

The reality is I am better experienced and qualified than I woud have been if I had stayed in UK for the last 10 years.
This can be an issue in some professions - make sure you address this in your vitae and/or letters of applicatoin - sell it as a positive rather than wait until it is asked about.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed. I appreciate the sophistication that the UK has in comparison to the backwater I was living in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.