Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:03 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Just out of interest wondering how people are finding the UK on their return?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:22 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Originally Posted by cricket1
Just out of interest wondering how people are finding the UK on their return?
They need you there, to whip their lazy butts into action.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:23 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

But Joules, contrary to what people may think, I do not possess a whip.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:26 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

But Joules, contrary to what people may think, I do not possess a whip.
As you may have aknowledged I do have vivid fantasies................I guess its just wishful thinking on my part.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
As you may have aknowledged I do have vivid fantasies................I guess its just wishful thinking on my part.
Ohhh dear Joules, I just knew this thread was going to go downwards once we got onto talking about whips and your fantasies. Don't you have an adoring wife that meets your every need?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:34 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Ohhh dear Joules, I just knew this thread was going to go downwards once we got onto talking about whips and your fantasies. Don't you have an adoring wife that meets your every need?
Divorced, she is an accountant in the UK and far more serious than I, We still talk though and in fact are getting on now better than ever
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:36 pm
Banned

Divorced, she is an accountant in the UK and far more serious than I, We still talk though and in fact are getting on now better than ever
So there is hope for you Joules?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

So there is hope for you Joules?
Of course, but I don`t think the nice people of BE want to know the ins and outs of my life, by the way back to your question. I was in the UK for a week in December tell me what you want to know?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:43 pm
Banned

Of course, but I don`t think the nice people of BE want to know the ins and outs of my life, by the way back to your question. I was in the UK for a week in December tell me what you want to know?

OK, how did you find it in general? Was it happy, miserable, mediocre, full of life, dead as a dodo, would you dash back there, etc, etc. I know you can only give your own opinion based on your time there but I'm just interested.
The timing of when we move is important to my business especially if the UK are talking about printing money.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:05 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

OK, how did you find it in general? Was it happy, miserable, mediocre, full of life, dead as a dodo, would you dash back there, etc, etc. I know you can only give your own opinion based on your time there but I'm just interested.
The timing of when we move is important to my business especially if the UK are talking about printing money.
On the one hand I can criticize the UK as being expensive, at times depressing with stressed out people etc but I always look forward to going there and greatly enjoy its diversity and what it has to offer.

Well on this trip I found it as I have always found it which is enjoyable but surprisingly with not too much rain this time, but in answer to your question there was lots happening though, I didn`t see too much sign of a recession as shopping centres were full of people, people were friendly and friends that I have there were the same as always and living the lifestyle that they normally live.............Its all just a case that the newspapers make it seem so much worse than it actually is. I have friends there that seem to believe that things in Spain are so much better than they are in the UK, I inform them that they are not but they seem to think the grass in constantly greener elsewhere. As for would I go back there to live??? Well the answer might be yes if the job and the living standard matched what I have here.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Mar 8th 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Back to UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Cricket

Was back in February/ March and found it to be the same England, yes there is a recession going on, but did not feel that people were tightening their belts, on Sat the pubs and clubs were packed. I saw 5 West End shows and all of them were doing good business.

I think people have the attitude that its here and its going be around for a while - so lets just get on with it.

I found the experience more uplifting than depressing and am not sad that I will return in August !
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Was over three times last year and glad no trips planned for this year due to the expense. . Enjoyed the trips but very expensive re Hotels, eating out, car hire fuel etc. Detected an air of pessimism generally re the economic situation re ....most being of the opinion that the worst is yet to come....
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Interesting, where did you go back to?

People in London seemed no more concerned than people we know here!

Maybe I was just lucky to meet people and have friends who have that outlook on life.

Maybe London is different to other places in the UK - who knows?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:39 am
Banned

I have a wide circle of friends in different parts over in the UK and they all sound very pessimistic whenever I speak to them. Having been away from the UK for 5 years, I think it is part of the British make up to be sunny under the surface but otherwise adopt a more sober exterior especially when times are bleak.

I remember during the last recession, it was a miserable time. This recession is different though. No one seems to know where the bottom of the pit is yet. We've never seen debt like we are experiencing now, not on a personal level, so it's difficult for anyone to try and guess the impact this current situation might have in the long term.
It does seem to be having an effect on people's spirits and minds and I can only pray and hope that someone blows up the UK press association as soon as possible because it only adds to the gloom.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

Guess I know the Optimistic ones. Had lunch with some folk today and there doom and gloom was as bad if not worse than those I know in the UK. Maybe cause the UK has been facing the recession for longer ! Although according to an Estate agent in UK and a realtor friend here in Toronto. February has seen a rise in House sales. The first one in many months !

Can only hope this is the start of a new beginning !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.