Hampshire anyone?

Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice
Question Hampshire anyone?

Hi all

I previously lived in Aberdeen, Scotland but moved out to Malta in March. Unfortunately it isn't working out the way we had hoped and we plan on moving back to the UK late November/early December. I am currently studying to be an Esthetician/Beauty Therapist and Makeup Artist and am due to qualify mid November. We have no desire to return to Aberdeen so we are venturing south, most likely down Romsey/Chandlers Ford/Winchester way and I wondered if any of you either live or have visited these areas?

It will be my husband and 16 month old son joining me and although I do not need to concern myself with schooling yet, I would like to be in a good catchment area for him. I know that this area ticks all the boxes but I just hoped some of you might have opinions on the areas? Maybe other places in the area (Hampshire) I could look? We will be renting longterm with the possibility of looking at another mortgage in the future.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:13 am
Account Closed

cinelight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hampshire anyone?

Hi, Winchester is lovely but could be pricey, I'd suggest Petersfield and surrounding villages (car needed) Petersfield is about one hour from London by train.

Hope it helps
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:54 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

that was more or less my part of the world. My sister and her family live in Whiteparish (on the Romsey-Salisbury road, although actually just into Wiltshire) and love it there. Plenty of villages around Romsey that have enough amenities (pub, shop, school) to be "proper" villages (Wellow, Sherfield English...).

Chandler's Ford and Hedge End have a little less of the village-y aesthetic, but in terms of convenience can't be beaten (access to M27/M3, a spit from Southampton, a half decent airport, fast rail connections to London from Eastleigh/Southampton Airport Parkway...). It all depends what you're after.

Winchester itself is v expensive, although a little less so outside the centre - look at Oliver's Battery/Badger Farm for an idea. Some of the surrounding villages even more eye-stretchingly expensive (Hursley, Sparsholt, King's Worthy spring to mind). Having said that, you might strike it lucky with a reasonable rental property. And with the amount of wealthy persons-of-leisure around the place, I'm sure there'd be opportunities for an aesthetician and makeup artist!

If that part of the world appeals, look also a little further north up the Test valley towards Stockbridge. A whole host of beautiful villages and stunning countryside, not too much affordable housing though!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Thanks so much for the reply.

As for what we are after? We would like an area that is mainly safe, location is a big thing to consider as we would like to be in an area that has either a supermarket or to be close to an area that does, shops etc. We don't have a car yet and might not get one for a while so transport is an issue. As long as I can get a bus/train that is fine but hopefully not looking to travel huge distances for work or shops. Definitely want to be near 'things to do' with my son which is one of the reasons the Hampshire area first came on the radar. I like that it isn't far from London if I want the bigger city experience at times. I would just really like a suburb feel to my area, good access, job possibilities or access to them, schooing and safety, those are the things I am looking for.

ETA I just looked at the eye-stretchingly expensive areas you mentioned, YIKES, definitely not moving there then. I knew Winchester was more expensive but wanted to widen my search area as Chandlers Ford isn't big. I have had a look at the other areas you mentioned too and they seem like nice areas to add to my search.

Last edited by Summer-Caitlin; Aug 22nd 2012 at 9:53 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just over the border in East Dorset, so the only Hampshire place I really know is Ringwood which I think is a lovely little town. I hear good things about the senior school there, but don't know about primary level.

I like where we are just east of Bournemouth and Poole - seems safe to me and plenty of stuff to do around and easy access to shops etc.

I can't really comment on public transport as we don't really use it that much - just the train up to London which is dead easy to do. To be honest, I can't quite imagine living anywhere (except perhaps central London) without access to a car, but I do know that loads of people do.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I have heard about Ringwood so might check that area out too. We lived in Aberdeen without a car for many years and the only time we struggled was for food shopping etc. I don't mind using public transport plus petrol and the cost of running a car has become very expensive lately.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Thanks, I have heard about Ringwood so might check that area out too. We lived in Aberdeen without a car for many years and the only time we struggled was for food shopping etc. I don't mind using public transport plus petrol and the cost of running a car has become very expensive lately.
I think food shopping would be ok these days with the ease of internet shopping for groceries - we used to do that all the time when we both worked full time
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

I have been doing a lot ofresearch this last couple of weeks and am very happy with the location choice, although I have also came across Salisbury as an option. Only 20 minutes by car from Romsey area and the housing looks quite a bit cheaper. From what I read on the internet it seems to be a very quiet place yet has a mall, cinema, schools and most importantly a Waitrose I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on living in Salisbury? I don't want to move to far from my chosen area as it really does tick all the boxes but am looking to possibly widen my search slightly so I have a bigger choice for housing.

Thanks again for any input
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I have been doing a lot ofresearch this last couple of weeks and am very happy with the location choice, although I have also came across Salisbury as an option. Only 20 minutes by car from Romsey area and the housing looks quite a bit cheaper. From what I read on the internet it seems to be a very quiet place yet has a mall, cinema, schools and most importantly a Waitrose I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on living in Salisbury? I don't want to move to far from my chosen area as it really does tick all the boxes but am looking to possibly widen my search slightly so I have a bigger choice for housing.

Thanks again for any input
Salisbury itself is beautiful (especially the bits around the cathedral, water meadows and market square) but can get a bit congested - mediaeval cities with 1960s ring roads are not friendly places for 21st century traffic! Don't know much about schooling - I know of Bishop Wordsworth's school by reputation, only because it was one of the first former grammar schools to go direct-grant-maintained, but I think it may be private fee-paying now. There's a tertiary education college (used to be Salisbury Tech, I imagine it's a univesity by now).

I mentioned up-thread that my sister and her family live in Whiteparish, just outside Salisbury on the Romsey road. That area might be worth exploring (although their local supermarket is a Tesco rather than the Waitrose half way round the Inner Ring Road... )