Grad School in the UK

Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:08 am
Just Joined

rosielovesherdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grad School in the UK

Hello! I've been living in the USA since I was 10ish, still have Brit citizenship and am hoping to go back to the UK to do a Masters or PhD after graduating in two years' time. Although it's far away I'm sure it'll come quickly and want to start planning/thinking about it now! Does anyone have experience transferring US degree credits or continuing school in the UK after the USA? One big thing to consider is I think I'll qualify as an international student tuition-wise, which will definitely be a lot pricier.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grad School in the UK

My experience has been that if you can pay for a graduate programme, you can get a place. Internatioinal fees are VERY high !
Old Mar 1st 2021, 6:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosielovesherdog
Hello! I've been living in the USA since I was 10ish, still have Brit citizenship and am hoping to go back to the UK to do a Masters or PhD after graduating in two years' time. Although it's far away I'm sure it'll come quickly and want to start planning/thinking about it now! Does anyone have experience transferring US degree credits or continuing school in the UK after the USA? One big thing to consider is I think I'll qualify as an international student tuition-wise, which will definitely be a lot pricier.
My son did this, he graduated from four-year school in the US and applied to masters programs in the UK. He applied for medieval history programs, was accepted everywhere he applied, and ended up going to Durham, which he really enjoyed and had a good academic experience. He subsequently went to Aberystwith (probably not spelling that right) for a library degree, too.

But yeah, he had to pay international fees at Durham.

Not sure what you mean by transferring credits in this context, since you’ll have finished one degree and be starting another, so no credits to transfer. Anyway, AFAIK, transferring credits in the US sense is not something a UK school would do.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, you have to be present in the UK for three years prior to applying to avoid international fees. However, it is worth speaking to the universities direct as sometimes they will waive this.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

rosielovesherdog is an unknown quantity at this point

This is so helpful, thanks loads! Medieval history sounds so fascinating.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosielovesherdog

I did my undergrad in the US, my MBA in the Netherlands and my Ph.D. in Scotland. My suggestion would be to start narrowing down grad programs of interest and then contacting those universities to determine whether your undergraduate degree would be recognized (most will). Good luck to you! The UK is an amazing place (I suggest checking out Scotland - but am VERY biased, ha ha) to study.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Zahirulahz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there!

So you're eyeing the UK for your next academic adventure, huh? Let me share a little anecdote that might help you navigate the maze of options out there. When I was contemplating a similar move, I found myself drowning in a sea of information about MBA programs in the UK. It was like trying to choose between a buffet of delicious options! But fear not, my friend, for I eventually stumbled upon some gems. Each of the schools you mentioned – London Business School, Warwick Business School, Lancaster University, and Durham University – offers its own unique blend of academic rigor, industry connections, and cultural experiences. It's like trying to pick the perfect flavor of ice cream – vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or something more exotic – they all have their own appeal. So my advice to you? Take your time, do your research, and trust your gut. After all, this is your journey, and you deserve to make the most of it! Cheers to your future success, wherever it may take you!
Old Feb 6th 2024, 2:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zahirulahz
Hey there!

So you're eyeing the UK for your next academic adventure, huh? Let me share a little anecdote that might help you navigate the maze of options out there. When I was contemplating a similar move, I found myself drowning in a sea of information about MBA programs in the UK. It was like trying to choose between a buffet of delicious options! But fear not, my friend, for I eventually stumbled upon some gems. Each of the schools you mentioned – London Business School, Warwick Business School, Lancaster University, and Durham University – offers its own unique blend of academic rigor, industry connections, and cultural experiences. It's like trying to pick the perfect flavor of ice cream – vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or something more exotic – they all have their own appeal. So my advice to you? Take your time, do your research, and trust your gut. After all, this is your journey, and you deserve to make the most of it! Cheers to your future success, wherever it may take you!
(This thread is almost 3 years old, so the OP has probably either found a programme already or given up on the idea). Thought I'd mention it in case you wonder why you don't get a reply.