Got Fired!

Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got Fired!

Originally Posted by iaink
Just because they behave badly without any grace or dignity doesn't mean that you have to too.

Besides, the people that work there probably well know what hes like.
Probably the best thing you can do is to channel your chagrin. Focus on getting good references from them re your work and return to the temp agency for more work. After all, if you are a valuable asset, and unfortunately that's all any of us are these days, then they should be more than happy to give you work.

Take the lesson to your next place of employment. Not in bitterness but as a learning experience. I fully understand how you feel. I was reminded of it several months ago when I started a number job. My new boss, who hired me etc..and is all smiles, friendly etc, always bordering on the right side of political correctness, enquiring about family, children, interests etc. In a casual conversation let slip the truth, saying they did not care when I was discussing my motivations for doing good work and commitment. They just wanted the work done. It was an innocuous comment but one that triggered the light bulb going off in my head, a true epiphany moment!

These people are not really my friends, they are work colleagues which is a whole world of difference. I would not necessarily choose them as friends we are thrown together through circumstance. Therefore, most attempts at friendliness are just false.

It gives me great satisfaction knowing that I am planning my inevitable departure as we sit and develop 3/5 year plans. Its a selfish approach but learned behaviour and I and you are not going to change the attitude. Just take the high road and do what is right for you and yours where employers are concerned anyway.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 8:25 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Probably the best thing you can do is to channel your chagrin. Focus on getting good references from them re your work and return to the temp agency for more work. After all, if you are a valuable asset, and unfortunately that's all any of us are these days, then they should be more than happy to give you work.

Take the lesson to your next place of employment. Not in bitterness but as a learning experience. I fully understand how you feel. I was reminded of it several months ago when I started a number job. My new boss, who hired me etc..and is all smiles, friendly etc, always bordering on the right side of political correctness, enquiring about family, children, interests etc. In a casual conversation let slip the truth, saying they did not care when I was discussing my motivations for doing good work and commitment. They just wanted the work done. It was an innocuous comment but one that triggered the light bulb going off in my head, a true epiphany moment!

These people are not really my friends, they are work colleagues which is a whole world of difference. I would not necessarily choose them as friends we are thrown together through circumstance. Therefore, most attempts at friendliness are just false.

It gives me great satisfaction knowing that I am planning my inevitable departure as we sit and develop 3/5 year plans. Its a selfish approach but learned behaviour and I and you are not going to change the attitude. Just take the high road and do what is right for you and yours where employers are concerned anyway.
Yes completely agree, yet in my past employment I was self employed so there was no need to play these games, Im not use to out and out deceit, if asked a casual question regarding personal matters I would normally answer with a question and try to steer the subject away from a direct answer, knowing what a frank reply could do to the thoughts of others.
I took a gamble with this company, thinking if I gave them 5 weeks notice of my intentions then maybe they would consider me for a position when I returned rather than no notice which would not have looked good for me.
My gamble didnt pay off, I except that, the supervisor was mad about them, he knew it was harsh, they cut off there nose to spite there face, a good business would never burn bridges with reliable staff, apart from that one issue which for anybody would have been likewise, I never put a foot wrong.

They sent me my p45 and a letter stating that I resigned, dont know what to make of that!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:09 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i know it sounds harsh but just move on and stop whinging about it...that's life im afraid.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - back luck PanHandle. Hope things work out for you

From you earlier post it sounds like you never actually wrote or handed in that letter of resignation they asked you for?
I'd suggest that filing your P45 as resigned when you didn't may be not acceptable, then again it may be better for you to have not been "fired".?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Hey - back luck PanHandle. Hope things work out for you

From you earlier post it sounds like you never actually wrote or handed in that letter of resignation they asked you for?
I'd suggest that filing your P45 as resigned when you didn't may be not acceptable, then again it may be better for you to have not been "fired".?
Worth a little research to determine if they have put you down as resigning whether it makes them liable for the paying you notice? Sounds like the front end doesn't know what the back end is doing.

Then again you might be best served moving forward with life.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they don't want you to claim job seekers or something like that.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:41 pm
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Maybe they don't want you to claim job seekers or something like that.
I cant claim JSA, due to my savings amount, but maybe that was the reason, anyway I could use the letter to show the consulate when applying for a spouse visa for my wife, showing pay slips and ability to gain employment after a short time arriving surely would be a plus.

They paid me 1 days notice, so I guess no sense in wasting time chasing my rights etc, better to have a letter of resignation than the flick!

I wont be using my p45 again until I return mid feb, I have a valid reason not to be searching for employment and Im not on any benefits, and only 3 weeks to go before im off.

When I return I shall probably start with the agency again
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
Yes completely agree, yet in my past employment I was self employed so there was no need to play these games, Im not use to out and out deceit, if asked a casual question regarding personal matters I would normally answer with a question and try to steer the subject away from a direct answer, knowing what a frank reply could do to the thoughts of others.
I took a gamble with this company, thinking if I gave them 5 weeks notice of my intentions then maybe they would consider me for a position when I returned rather than no notice which would not have looked good for me.
My gamble didnt pay off, I except that, the supervisor was mad about them, he knew it was harsh, they cut off there nose to spite there face, a good business would never burn bridges with reliable staff, apart from that one issue which for anybody would have been likewise, I never put a foot wrong.

They sent me my p45 and a letter stating that I resigned, dont know what to make of that!
In an earlier post you said you wrote a letter of resignation ... so why are you confused? As someone else said maybe resignation looks better than fired.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 8:26 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by dunroving
In an earlier post you said you wrote a letter of resignation ... so why are you confused? As someone else said maybe resignation looks better than fired.
Dunroving, I never did write a letter, they had asked me too but I asked for time to talk to my wife, check #8, they fired me about one hour after I spoke about my dilemma, regardless of my financial situation etc.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:58 am
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd never start a full-time job without a contract. Period. That's business.

As for the investment, I think someone already said if you hire a temp agency person on a permanent contract, there's a price to pay ... so there's at least one investment.

The false pretenses I was referring to were what you described - taking on a permanent position when you knew you would be taking extended leave, without mentioning it. I can see your reasons, but can also see why, when the penny dropped, they switched from an agreeable "see your 5 weeks out" to "Out the door" (though it sounds like they could have dealt with it more tacfully). That's why it's called "business" rather than "pleasure" - and why getting a work contract is so important.

It may still be worth contacting CAB, to see if you have any rights of redress. Even without a work contract I'd have thought in the UK that employment law covers full-time jobs, and that the situation you're describing may mean you are entitled to some salary compensation. Worth looking into, at least.
In the UK, unfortunately you have very few employment rights within the first 12 months of employment. A company is entitled to "retrench" without cause. The only rights you have is if they discriminate on the grounds of race etc. But the bottom line is they can fire you with or without a permanent contract simply because they do not like you and all they must do is pay the notice period contained within the contract.
The UK is unfortunately very backwards in terms of employment law in comparison to say South Africa. In SA, they cannot retrench without reason and a full process must be undertaken-eg coaching, verbal warning, written warning etc to fire someone.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, I never did write a letter, they had asked me too but I asked for time to talk to my wife, check #8, they fired me about one hour after I spoke about my dilemma, regardless of my financial situation etc.
Could be worth getting further advice from CAB in that case. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the situation - although it probably is better to have a resignation on your record than being sacked (maybe), it could be worth asking them what are the ramifications of the incorrect record on the P45. I'd imagine one would be eligibility for JSA (if that's an issue).

But then again, as a few people have said, it might be better to just move on and focus on the positives you have ahead of you.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:19 pm
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
In the UK, unfortunately you have very few employment rights within the first 12 months of employment. A company is entitled to "retrench" without cause. The only rights you have is if they discriminate on the grounds of race etc. But the bottom line is they can fire you with or without a permanent contract simply because they do not like you and all they must do is pay the notice period contained within the contract.
The UK is unfortunately very backwards in terms of employment law in comparison to say South Africa. In SA, they cannot retrench without reason and a full process must be undertaken-eg coaching, verbal warning, written warning etc to fire someone.
In my opinion the UK has been going backwards in many departments, they've only just past a law making squatting illegal, the mind wonders why it took so long, one of many such wrongs. No wonder Britain lost the empire!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunroving, pursuing them I sure would be pointless, I will leave that to the next person, Im sure there will be more.
Yes I have more important things to deal with, Im looking forward to getting back with the wife, though at the back of my mind I still wonder if bringing her to the UK is the right move.
I like it here but I can see it can get real tough, my wife may wonder why the hell I brought her here
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:40 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

"The UK is unfortunately very backwards in terms of employment law in comparison to say South Africa. In SA, they cannot retrench without reason and a full process must be undertaken-eg coaching, verbal warning, written warning etc to fire someone."

Must disagree with this. I can't comment on SA employment law but I am British and currently working in the UK. Companies cannot just fire someone without repercussions as you seem to claim in your post. The procedure has to be followed in exact detail otherwise you sit and wonder if you're going to get a lawsuit landing on the desk! I work in a clinic and our receptionist was absolutely useless - losing patient files, not putting in appointments correctly, using bad language behind reception and the list goes on. In order to sack her we really had to do everything to the letter - written warnings, disciplinary action, verbal warnings until finally we could get rid of her. We definitely could not just call her into the office one day and ask her to leave (if only!)

In regards to what this thread was originally about I must say although the situation isn't nice to be in, I can see why the company have acted in this way. As someone who has a say over who is employed in the business I work for it is frustrating when new employees come along and expect the world. I employed someone in the past only for them to request a sabbatical after only 4 months! Really!? Also as an employer I can see that an employee who has a wife and new baby in another country may equate to more time off in the future and the risk of going back to visit and never returning. This then means that you have to bring in a temp, which is highly expensive and arrange someone else to be hired, which is time consuming and also an added expense. Personally I wouldn't mind if it was a long term member of staff, but I certainly would not provide this for someone who has not been at the company for very long.

Please excuse me if I've missed this on the thread but why would you be working in a different country to where your wife and new baby are living?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:30 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
" excuse me if I've missed this on the thread but why would you be working in a different country to where your wife and new baby are living?
Hi pom_chch, well I came back to the Uk to try and reestablish myself and become domicile so bringing my wife to the UK would be less painful
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:39 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi pom_chch, well I came back to the Uk to try and reestablish myself and become domicile so bringing my wife to the UK would be less painful
Fair enough, I hope it works out for you. I can imagine it's not nice being separated from your wife and baby.

Also I can add that if an employee has only been at a company for a short space of time they can be "removed" pretty quickly in the UK. As for me and my delightful receptionist she had been with us for a while before she started going down hill making it difficult for us to do anything about it despite her being totally incompetent and making the company looks bad etc etc.

Agree with the squatting law in the UK. Why it took so long for us to work in the home owners favour I will never know! Employment law, however, I would say we are better from what I've seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.