Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Wikiposts

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:20 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Originally Posted by rae
curious not being clever, does your kids school have barbed wire and 6ft perimeter fencing, half a dozen broken windows at any one time and obscene graffiti, mine does and that considered one of the better primary's in the area.
oh and i forgot to mention the older children hanging around the gates waiting to pick up younger siblings, smoking, swearing and dropping litter all over the place, the very modicum of youth culture in good old GB.
Chorley is pretty much like this.....
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:56 pm
Banned

utookmylove will become famous soon enoughutookmylove will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Chorley is pretty much like this.....
so is lincoln.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

I have lived in london and Birmingham and not seen this.
I'm not saying it doesn't exist but it's certainly not the norm.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:13 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jugsy
I have lived in london and Birmingham and not seen this.
I'm not saying it doesn't exist but it's certainly not the norm.
i don't know your experience, but unless you have seen every school in the country, you cannot be so definite in your assertion, you may be right, i don't know as i certainly haven't visited every where. living in two areas cannot qualify you to say this, unless you are a teacher and travelled far and wide of course. i can say in my borough, where i have multi-million pound footballers mansions and impoverished council estates, around the estates the schools are like this, and away from them they are not. i think that wherever you live that will be the most reasonable and balanced way of looking at it. my point is that here i cannot afford to live in the areas which will allow my child to attend the better schools, in canada i can. i appreciate this may not be everything to every one, but to me, who had little opportunity for further education, its very important.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
but to me, who had little opportunity for further education, its very important.
Better start saving for them now then. Uni education here is 4 years, and runs about $cdn 10k and up per year in Tuition alone at the better schools, without the state picking up the tab. :scared:

Stuff like medicine is obviously longer, with tuition in the high teens to mid twenties!

Last edited by iaink; Aug 22nd 2006 at 1:29 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:01 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Better start saving for them now then. Uni education here is 4 years, and runs about $cdn 10k and up per year in Tuition alone at the better schools, without the state picking up the tab. :scared:

Stuff like medicine is obviously longer, with tuition in the high teens to mid twenties!
uk around 3k a year, basic, so more realistically double that, news recently reported av uni student leaves with student debt of 15-20k.
i expect to subsidise her at this stage, and you rightly point it out as its going to cost you as mum and dad wherever you go. however there's always a burger that needs flipping somewhere.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
have done both of your suggestions, and the results fall in with your last comments. i am fortunate enough to go to an area small enough to afford better education and far enough away from the rough neighbourhoods to avoid the mix of students.
i actually stayed for 2 weeks in the worst area of edmonton, no one could believe i had booked a hotel here. however, it gave me the worst possible perspective and even here, where there were drug warrants executed next to the hotel during my stay, it wasn't as bad as the worst areas around here.
In the case of the OP I think it is important to get a balanced view of anywhere you are considering living especially when the reason you are moving is to 'escape' from what you currently consider as not good. However dont you think it more important to have a positive view of where you live and where you want to live, so much nicer outlook to have on life.

To Rae it is different staying in a hotel in an unsafe area for a two week period on your British pounds knowing that you can pack your bags and trundle off home when the whim takes, to the reality of living in a modest house in an unsafe area on the Canadian dollar and having to call it home.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:38 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by ladylisa
In the case of the OP I think it is important to get a balanced view of anywhere you are considering living especially when the reason you are moving is to 'escape' from what you currently consider as not good. However dont you think it more important to have a positive view of where you live and where you want to live, so much nicer outlook to have on life.

i agree it is a nicer outlook on life, but its difficult to have a positive view of where you live when its no good, closing your eyes, chanting and pretending things arn't happening is one way of getting through the day, but not one that i'd personally recommend.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:41 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by ladylisa
To Rae it is different staying in a hotel in an unsafe area for a two week period on your British pounds knowing that you can pack your bags and trundle off home when the whim takes, to the reality of living in a modest house in an unsafe area on the Canadian dollar and having to call it home.
rather aggresive reply, touched a nerve? might help you to have all the info to hand before posting, this prevents ass..umptions. i couldn't go home at a whim, i was in the middle of an application process. this was my first trip, on my second i rented a property for a month in a more modest area, this giving me some perspective. you want to look that last word up, might help you on future posts.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
rather aggresive reply, touched a nerve? might help you to have all the info to hand before posting, this prevents ass..umptions. i couldn't go home at a whim, i was in the middle of an application process. this was my first trip, on my second i rented a property for a month in a more modest area, this giving me some perspective. you want to look that last word up, might help you on future posts.
I'm certainly not being aggressive I'm merely making an observation, its a shame you took my comments the wrong way. Calm down..

I dont see any of these discussions as right or wrong we all have opinions based on our own perspectives. There is no cuddly toy for the winner.