Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Wikiposts

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:05 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Originally Posted by Geordie George
A few points, from my perspective (from someone in Aus, but I think it applies across the emigration process, regardless of intended location).

Firstly, be prepared to see your perceived benefits as enormous, insurmountable negatives about six months into your move. It's part of the homesickness, culture whatnot thing (it's late, I'm btw ). What initially seems liberating can come back to bite you on the arse. It may seem a great big, inviting wilderness now. But it may also feel like you're trapped with no escape later on. Secondly, if you're balanced, you'll come to think of your new place and the UK as comparable; for each good or bad point about the old or new place, there's an equal in the former. Does that make sense? Whilst there are many that would (and do ) disagree with me on this, there are lots of people that come to see neither location as perfect. They are right for here, now and probably the foreseeable. But they're not without fault. They change. And when you begin comparing places, it's a process that's difficult to stop. How will you ever know that Canada is right forever? Be prepared to open a can of worms you can't put the lid back on.

In my usual long-winded, drunken way, I guess that I'm trying to say that you get a lot more out of emigration if you see it as an adventure and not as a test with right and wrong answers. Leave doors open. Be prepared for it to be a huge disappointment - or failure. That way, you can only succeed.
considering you say you've had a few, you make the most sense of 5 pages of replies on the canada forum. i watched it unravel when sinope posted the original message, it wasn't very dignified, bitchy and cynical i think to put it lightly. there were some positive and constructive, but not on the whole. i got the general impression that old scores were being settled.
as someone about to go(appreciate not the place to discuss) i find your comment makes a lot of sense and not put aggressively or with a whopping dollop of sarcasm
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:13 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
How will canada give your kids a better childhood? I have 2 kids here in Canada they have exactly the same life as they would have in England.

Also whats so special about snow, here in Montreal we get tonnes of the stuff. It's fine until christmas but it wears a bit thin for the next 4 months.

The true wilderness areas are wilderness that because nobody wants to live there.

The health service here is very similar to the NHS, there are some better things and some worse bu toverall it is similar.

If the lifestyle so relaxed why do the poor suckers here only get 2 weeks paid holiday?.

These are all things you need to consider. Canada is by no means a bad place but I think your better off improving your life in the UK

Jonathan
curious not being clever, does your kids school have barbed wire and 6ft perimeter fencing, half a dozen broken windows at any one time and obscene graffiti, mine does and that considered one of the better primary's in the area.
oh and i forgot to mention the older children hanging around the gates waiting to pick up younger siblings, smoking, swearing and dropping litter all over the place, the very modicum of youth culture in good old GB.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:22 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats why she is asking here as well as in the Canada forum. Lots of positive comments there were counter argued with negative ones too, so it works both ways.
Good point, though has to be said mate, lot less personal here.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rae
curious not being clever, does your kids school have barbed wire and 6ft perimeter fencing, half a dozen broken windows at any one time and obscene graffiti, mine does and that considered one of the better primary's in the area.
oh and i forgot to mention the older children hanging around the gates waiting to pick up younger siblings, smoking, swearing and dropping litter all over the place, the very modicum of youth culture in good old GB.
WHERE do you live?? I live near London and
never seen anything like that....

You give the impression that is is like this every were in the UK ...
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Hi there

My kids are too young for school. Where I live is full of private schools and mummies driving kids to school in Porsche SUV's, it isn't the real Canada anymore than Kensington is the real London.

Gangs, drugs and barbed wire are all pretty much in evidence in Montreal, as for youth culture I only have to drive 2 miles to St Henri, where Quebec chavs (swap HOnda Civic with spoiler for Vauxhall Nova's) cruise the streets. Plenty of nasty estates, smashed windows.

As I say , I know London intimately, I lived in Hackney for 6 years, I know bad areas in the UK and Canada, there is no difference.

To see for yourself come for a good long visit, or do some googling on crime at schools, knives guns etc.

I've said it before, British people who emigrate to Canada, have pounds in their pocket and can usually afford the better areas, being more space there is more segregation between the good or bad areas.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron8123
I find it strange that you are asking this question on this forum based on your comments above, it seems you have already made up your mind. You asked for the negatives to gain a balanced view, and when someone gives them to you based on their experiences, you seem to be counter-arguing all their points. Sounds like you need to get those rose tints off
Yes, I'm argumentative but I also take onboard what everyone says.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:56 pm
Banned

utookmylove will become famous soon enoughutookmylove will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Get a headache reading your post.....is like listening to Vicky Pollard can you please use some kind of punctuation?
If you can not understand it dont read it, this is what i'm saying not allowed to express any opinoin in this country with out people taking the mickey out of people who may not be as good at writing, spelling, PUNCTUATIONS, as someone else, im english but god theres a lot of bullys out there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by utookmylove; Aug 17th 2006 at 10:00 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utookmylove
If you can not understand it dont read it, this is what i'm saying not allowed to express any opinoin in this country with out people taking the mickey out of people who may not be as good at writing, spelling, PUNCTUATIONS, as someone else, im english but god theres a lot of bullys out there!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think Eurotramp meant to be offensive or a bully, but a paragraph of text with no punctuation is hard to read. Of course you can express any opinion you like, but if you want others to pay attention it is probably best to write in an easy to read way.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:17 pm
rae
Settled.

WHERE do you live?? I live near London and
never seen anything like that....

You give the impression that is is like this every were in the UK ...
didn't mean to, did say this was my child's school, or was intimating that at least. there are lots of great schools nearby, take the local grammar for instance, lovely grounds, loads of facilities, excellent staff, or certainly the head, deputy and some of the staff I've spoken to. so if you can afford the average house price near to the school of 600,000 you are laughing. i can't. i'm not.
i live in merseyside and this is the reality i'm afraid, i can post some photo's if you really can't imagine it.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:25 pm
Banned

utookmylove will become famous soon enoughutookmylove will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sinope
I don't think Eurotramp meant to be offensive or a bully, but a paragraph of text with no punctuation is hard to read. Of course you can express any opinion you like, but if you want others to pay attention it is probably best to write in an easy to read way.
I totally agree, however some people are not as good at writing etc does not mean people should mock people by stating they are like vicky pollard.
which i do find offensive, even if it was just meant to be funny there is some reasons why people are not as clever as others.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:25 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi there
To see for yourself come for a good long visit, or do some googling on crime at schools, knives guns etc.

I've said it before, British people who emigrate to Canada, have pounds in their pocket and can usually afford the better areas, being more space there is more segregation between the good or bad areas.
have done both of your suggestions, and the results fall in with your last comments. i am fortunate enough to go to an area small enough to afford better education and far enough away from the rough neighbourhoods to avoid the mix of students.
i actually stayed for 2 weeks in the worst area of edmonton, no one could believe i had booked a hotel here. however, it gave me the worst possible perspective and even here, where there were drug warrants executed next to the hotel during my stay, it wasn't as bad as the worst areas around here.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by utookmylove
I totally agree, however some people are not as good at writing etc does not mean people should mock people by stating they are like vicky pollard.
which i do find offensive, even if it was just meant to be funny there is some reasons why people are not as clever as others.
I was not bulling you...and I didn't say you are like Vicky...and obviously you ARE able to write differently..most of the time people are just lazy to put any paragraph's or punctuation in...but by all means just write the way you want...just dont expect people do make the effort to read it.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 11:12 pm
Banned

I was not bulling you...and I didn't say you are like Vicky...and obviously you ARE able to write differently..most of the time people are just lazy to put any paragraph's or punctuation in...but by all means just write the way you want...just dont expect people do make the effort to read it.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sinope
Yes, I'm argumentative but I also take onboard what everyone says.
Glad to hear it, it can only be a good thing to go informed with all the positive and negative experiences, it will make you more prepared for your journey ahead. These posts are very good insights into real life, but no matter what anyone says, you have to experience it for yourself.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaron8123
you have to experience it for yourself.
Totally agree and can't wait to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.