Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Wikiposts

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Originally Posted by Exile
The sandpit thing has happened a few times here in the sleepy suburbs of Perth, Australia. It is shocking, but sadly it seems hard to get away from this kind of thing in our modern world. All you can do is become really vigilant and hope it doesn't happen. I always find myself checking the sand as soon as we get to the park.
It is awful, and I just cannot understand why anyone would do such a horrible thing, especially as the victims are going to be little kids. Vile.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
But I think that any city will be less safe than a rural area or small town which is where we would want to live. I wouldn't want to live in the safest city in the world but then I am such a country mouse. I don't want to do the compare and contrast thing as we all have dire examples of horrid stuff happening (and you are right, there are paedo's everywhere), but I will relate something that shocked me to the core recently.

I live in a small and sleepy Cotswold town of around 2,000 people. It is deeply middle class here as you can imagine and there are no rough areas - even the council houses are gorgeous. Well, I take my daughter to play in a small park a couple of minutes walk away most days but I have to be really careful where she plays there now because someone buried knives and needles blade up in the sandpit a couple of weeks ago. Thank God they were found before a child fell on one, and the park was closed down for a couple of days. What came out afterwards was that this wasn't the first time that it had happened.

I just want to get away from the current British culture/attitude of no respect for anyone or anything and no consequences for any actions no matter how anti-social.
Leaving syringes aside, in my nice neighbourhood park my kid loves to try and kick his shoes off. Sadly I can't let him as there lots of people here in Canada who think it's funny to smash beer bottles onto grass where kids play.

Anti social, no respect, its alive and well in Canada
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

But I think that any city will be less safe than a rural area or small town which is where we would want to live. I wouldn't want to live in the safest city in the world but then I am such a country mouse. I don't want to do the compare and contrast thing as we all have dire examples of horrid stuff happening (and you are right, there are paedo's everywhere), but I will relate something that shocked me to the core recently.

I live in a small and sleepy Cotswold town of around 2,000 people. It is deeply middle class here as you can imagine and there are no rough areas - even the council houses are gorgeous. Well, I take my daughter to play in a small park a couple of minutes walk away most days but I have to be really careful where she plays there now because someone buried knives and needles blade up in the sandpit a couple of weeks ago. Thank God they were found before a child fell on one, and the park was closed down for a couple of days. What came out afterwards was that this wasn't the first time that it had happened.

I just want to get away from the current British culture/attitude of no respect for anyone or anything and no consequences for any actions no matter how anti-social.
You're right when you say cities are less safe - I'm comparing what jonfrank123 has said about Montreal with where I am in rural NW Ontario. People here are so friendly and respectful and really lookout for each other. One thing that really hit me when I got here is how much people volunteer theri time to good causes and to help run and organise things in the community. It's a wonderful thing to see and be part of. Kids here are so safe that hitching home from Red Lake is a common sight (the municipality is made up of 5 townships that are about 10km apart each direction with no public transport).

In saying that there's also a growing drug and alcohol culture here too. No wishing to sound racist but going on experience, the problem appears to stem from the First Nations reserves near here and the folks who come here to shop. Its not unusual to see intoxicated First Nations folks around town and it tends to be the same faces - I don't want to sound judgemental as I don't know what's happened in these people's lives to make them turn to alcohol. Heck I've helped scrape them off the ground a few times myself. Even so, people here do look out for them, especially during the winter when they'll curl up to sleep in the CIBC carpark in -40 degrees!!

I think what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is that cities and heavily populated areas will tend to have higher crime levels overall and rural/small towns less so, but crime is everywhere if you look for it.
But I find people definitely more respectful here than the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
there lots of people here in Canada who think it's funny to smash beer bottles onto grass where kids play.

Anti social, no respect, its alive and well in Canada

Its a big country, bound to be some bad areas. Somehow I doubt there are lots of people doing it, and although I see the odd discarded beer bottle, I doubt there is serious intent to harm associated with it. Ive certainly never seen anything like that. Maybe you should consider moving?

There really are lots of people who form voluntary litter crews to clean up the road sides once or twice a year though, something I dont recall having seen elsewhere, and that speaks volumes to me of the level of civic pride in the area I am in.

Somehow this "evil on the playground" thing smells a bit like the "razor blade in the apple" stories that come out every Haloween

Last edited by iaink; Aug 17th 2006 at 1:31 am.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Somehow this "evil on the playground" thing smells a bit like the "razor blade in the apple" stories that come out every Haloween
Tell that to the little girl near us who ended up in hospital having HIV tests.

We try not to be paranoid as it's hard to go through life like that, but it does happen, it's happened quite recently near us, and it will make any parent worry.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
You're right when you say cities are less safe - I'm comparing what jonfrank123 has said about Montreal with where I am in rural NW Ontario. People here are so friendly and respectful and really lookout for each other. One thing that really hit me when I got here is how much people volunteer theri time to good causes and to help run and organise things in the community. It's a wonderful thing to see and be part of. Kids here are so safe that hitching home from Red Lake is a common sight (the municipality is made up of 5 townships that are about 10km apart each direction with no public transport).

In saying that there's also a growing drug and alcohol culture here too. No wishing to sound racist but going on experience, the problem appears to stem from the First Nations reserves near here and the folks who come here to shop. Its not unusual to see intoxicated First Nations folks around town and it tends to be the same faces - I don't want to sound judgemental as I don't know what's happened in these people's lives to make them turn to alcohol. Heck I've helped scrape them off the ground a few times myself. Even so, people here do look out for them, especially during the winter when they'll curl up to sleep in the CIBC carpark in -40 degrees!!

I think what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is that cities and heavily populated areas will tend to have higher crime levels overall and rural/small towns less so, but crime is everywhere if you look for it.
But I find people definitely more respectful here than the UK.
I live in Westmount QC which is officially the second wealthiest municipality in Canada. All the problems I am describing are within a few hundred metres of here. I'd really hate to think what it is like in a bad area of Canada
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a big country, bound to be some bad areas. Somehow I doubt there are lots of people doing it, and although I see the odd discarded beer bottle, I doubt there is serious intent to harm associated with it. Ive certainly never seen anything like that. Maybe you should consider moving?

There really are lots of people who form voluntary litter crews to clean up the road sides once or twice a year though, something I dont recall having seen elsewhere, and that speaks volumes to me of the level of civic pride in the area I am in.

Unfortunately it isn't an urban legend. This was in my local paper about a month ago and eveyone is talking about it. I will do a link if I can dig out the article.

I love the volunteer litter crews idea - I pick up litter every time I visit the park but I do wish I didn't have to.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
You need to think about what you would gain by moving overseas, rather than thinking just about the bad things you can leave behind. You need to be attracted to a place rather than choosing it as an escape from what you loathe. You will find that Canda (or wherever) has many of the same problems as the UK - some better some worse. And whereas you'll say goodbye to some issues full stop, you'll find a whole host of new ones that you never even considered. Yes, you do need to get the big picture of what's good and what's bad, but the impression I get from your post is that you are looking to 'escape'. As well as looking at the negatives in your homeland, also look carefully at the positives (there are many that you probably take for granted) and weigh up whether you will gain as much as you will lose. Good luck.
This post is so true! Don't run away, rather run to something. Moving to a new country is a HUGE decision, bigger than you realise now. This will effect everything in your life and the lives of those around you. Just wait! I am being realistic. Leaving the UK because you don't like the health service or because the weather sucks is not reason enough. I have lived in the US since 1992 and we have just as many problems (if not more) than the UK. I have American friends who would LOVE to live in the UK because they see all the good things about the UK. It really is just perspective. Think really hard before you make the decision to move. If you decide to go, don't sell your house, give it a year or two before cutting all ties with the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
I live in Westmount QC which is officially the second wealthiest municipality in Canada. All the problems I am describing are within a few hundred metres of here. I'd really hate to think what it is like in a bad area of Canada
wealth = good area???

If only that was true, it would be easy to fix societies problems by throwing money at them.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:05 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

My partner and I are considering migration to Canada........
I look forward to your replies."
An earlier post made the comment about "Running Away"
You'll find a lot of the same issues that trouble you in the UK here in Canada.

A statement used a lot on this forum is "Same shit, shinier bucket"

Key questions you have to answer are
1.) If it goes tits up in Canada, can you return to the UK and continue your lives at a level you was at ?"

2.) Look at what you in have back in Blightyl and critically ask.
"Is what we have really that bad"
- Forget being pissed off that half the ****witts in the country that don't work and are fixated with no mark celebrities etc.
Focus on yourself and family only.

Finally I couldnt stress more that you MUST NOT fall for the lower cost of living line.

If you are heading fall any of the major cities, your disposable income will be less than back home in my opinion based on my own experiences.

Last edited by Buchan6; Aug 17th 2006 at 3:10 am. Reason: more text added
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:47 am
Banned

utookmylove will become famous soon enoughutookmylove will become famous soon enough

I have been told to post my original question (which had been in the Canada forum) here so here it is:

"Hi, I am new to this forum so please be kind to me.

My partner and I are considering migration to Canada. I would be really grateful if you could tell me your experiences of the best and the worst things (and anything in between) about living in Canada and how it compares to GB. All I get from the Canadian migration sites is that Canada is a modern-day utopia where everything is lovely and fluffy all of the time. Whilst I don't debate this I am sure there must be some things that are somewhat less than perfect?

I look forward to your replies."
Hi,
Both of my cousins have move to canada when i ask why the simple response is it's great people are friendly, great area great mountains walks etc myself i am moving to spain however there reasons are a bit different from mine i cant be that far away from my family and yes i love walking etc but i also love the nights out till morning however what they say is great well one cousin is alreay there the other is just waiting for her sale of her house to come through but all in all it's meant to be amazing, not a lot else as i dont know only by what i am told by my cousins but whatever you decide to be honest has got to be better than the britain we are meant to be living here i just wish mr blair would get on this site and realise everyone is moving out of the country because it has nothing much to offer
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by utookmylove
Hi,
Both of my cousins have move to canada when i ask why the simple response is it's great people are friendly, great area great mountains walks etc myself i am moving to spain however there reasons are a bit different from mine i cant be that far away from my family and yes i love walking etc but i also love the nights out till morning however what they say is great well one cousin is alreay there the other is just waiting for her sale of her house to come through but all in all it's meant to be amazing, not a lot else as i dont know only by what i am told by my cousins but whatever you decide to be honest has got to be better than the britain we are meant to be living here i just wish mr blair would get on this site and realise everyone is moving out of the country because it has nothing much to offer
Get a headache reading your post.....is like listening to Vicky Pollard can you please use some kind of punctuation?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Get a headache reading your post.....is like listening to Vicky Pollard can you please use some kind of punctuation?
LMAO at vicky pollard.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

I have no wish to get into a 'why I want to leave Britain' rant, especially in this forum, but there are many, many reasons why I don't want to raise my daughter in this country. You are the only person who has said that your children have the same life as they would have in Britain. One thing I have got consistently from the Canada forum is that it is much better for children, more family friendly, safer, etc, etc.

To answer everything else, your comments on wilderness are a little inane (no offence there btw), I am sure snow gets boring after a while but it is great for skiing, snowboarding, skidooing and loads of other outdoor stuff, the health service is on a par fair enough, 2 weeks holiday - that is about all my partner manages to take off here in Britain so no change there. As for improving our lives here, by many standards we have a very good life and we can and are improving it but that doesn't preclude us from going to another country and improving it more.
I find it strange that you are asking this question on this forum based on your comments above, it seems you have already made up your mind. You asked for the negatives to gain a balanced view, and when someone gives them to you based on their experiences, you seem to be counter-arguing all their points. Sounds like you need to get those rose tints off
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:03 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by aaron8123
I find it strange that you are asking this question on this forum based on your comments above, it seems you have already made up your mind. You asked for the negatives to gain a balanced view, and when someone gives them to you based on their experiences, you seem to be counter-arguing all their points. Sounds like you need to get those rose tints off
Thats why she is asking here as well as in the Canada forum. Lots of positive comments there were counter argued with negative ones too, so it works both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.