Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Wikiposts

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
That's because it snows constantly
??? I wish - it's been over 30 degrees here for the past few weeks and in some parts (S Ontario) a heat wave was declared with temperatures topping 40, feeling more like 48 with the humidity factored in!! I'm dreaming of winter!!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
Yes, I see your point entirely. Attractions of Canada (bearing in mind we will live in a town/village not a city) - it is hugely big, it has true wilderness areas, it is booming economically, it will give my daughter a better childhood, we will be able to buy a house with land, it has snow (not just mud and drizzle), it has a very good health service, people have more respect for one another, we will have a better, more relaxed lifestyle. In no particular order and off the top of my head and I am sure there are negatives to one or all of my reasons for liking the look of Canada.

I do also think that 'escape' is a valid reason to leave GB. The negatives far outweigh the positives here for me at the moment and I have done a lot of soul searching on the reasons we want to leave. It is a huge step and I don't want to take it if there is a good chance that a year later we will hate it and want to come back.

A few points, from my perspective (from someone in Aus, but I think it applies across the emigration process, regardless of intended location).

Firstly, be prepared to see your perceived benefits as enormous, insurmountable negatives about six months into your move. It's part of the homesickness, culture whatnot thing (it's late, I'm btw ). What initially seems liberating can come back to bite you on the arse. It may seem a great big, inviting wilderness now. But it may also feel like you're trapped with no escape later on. Secondly, if you're balanced, you'll come to think of your new place and the UK as comparable; for each good or bad point about the old or new place, there's an equal in the former. Does that make sense? Whilst there are many that would (and do ) disagree with me on this, there are lots of people that come to see neither location as perfect. They are right for here, now and probably the foreseeable. But they're not without fault. They change. And when you begin comparing places, it's a process that's difficult to stop. How will you ever know that Canada is right forever? Be prepared to open a can of worms you can't put the lid back on.

In my usual long-winded, drunken way, I guess that I'm trying to say that you get a lot more out of emigration if you see it as an adventure and not as a test with right and wrong answers. Leave doors open. Be prepared for it to be a huge disappointment - or failure. That way, you can only succeed.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
A few points, from my perspective (from someone in Aus, but I think it applies across the emigration process, regardless of intended location).

Firstly, be prepared to see your perceived benefits as enormous, insurmountable negatives about six months into your move. It's part of the homesickness, culture whatnot thing (it's late, I'm btw ). What initially seems liberating can come back to bite you on the arse. It may seem a great big, inviting wilderness now. But it may also feel like you're trapped with no escape later on. Secondly, if you're balanced, you'll come to think of your new place and the UK as comparable; for each good or bad point about the old or new place, there's an equal in the former. Does that make sense? Whilst there are many that would (and do ) disagree with me on this, there are lots of people that come to see neither location as perfect. They are right for here, now and probably the foreseeable. But they're not without fault. They change. And when you begin comparing places, it's a process that's difficult to stop. How will you ever know that Canada is right forever? Be prepared to open a can of worms you can't put the lid back on.

In my usual long-winded, drunken way, I guess that I'm trying to say that you get a lot more out of emigration if you see it as an adventure and not as a test with right and wrong answers. Leave doors open. Be prepared for it to be a huge disappointment - or failure. That way, you can only succeed.
I lived in Italy a while ago, on my own and I know exactly what you mean about the 6 month homesickness/culture shock thing. It isn't long enough to have made close friends (unless you're really lucky) but it is long enough to start to feel really lonely. I don't think I am suffering from grass is greener syndrome but it is almost impossible not to compare. If I was really happy in Britain I wouldn't be considering living on another continent. But I need to think deeply about it all and all of your comments are helping to focus my mind. Thanks.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Funnily enough, one reason I thought about that area was to be close to the madness of Bath, but not in it, if you know what I mean. Do you have a view on Cirencester?

Apologies to the first poster for not talking about Canada. I'm sure those guys will be along soon
Ciren's a nice enough place - very 'up its own arse' in one way, but very low rent at one and the same time - bleeding expensive on either side of the fence. Lots of posh boutique style shops, some great eateries, couple of good large supermarkts including a Waitrose, good communications road-wise via the 419 to the M5 or M4, close to the Cotswold Water Park (kind of pales into insignificance compared to Oz coastline, but when it's all you've got ...), close enough to Cheltenham and Bath one way and Swindon the other, some highly rated schools (both state and private), also close to the rest of the Cotswolds for days out etc. On balance, not a bad spot if you can afford it.

And yep - apologies to the OP for thread hijack.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

We want to move from Britain for many reasons including, health service, education, housing costs, quality of life, state of farming and the countryside, chav culture... Yes the Cotswolds are very beautiful but my partner and I will never be able to afford to buy a house here and due to the invasion of the townies and second home owners community spirit is declining rapidly. I only posted here because I was told it would give me a rounded idea of Canada and I want to know the reasons that people leave as well as the reasons people stay.

Having said all of that the thread I started in the Canada area on the same topic erupted into a bitchy slagging match after about five posts and I am none the wiser on the reasons that people stay. I am actually quite shocked and disappointed at how unfriendly people have been so far. Anyway, thanks for the replies and I shall continue to trawl through the archives.
Hi sinope

Sorry you've had bad experiences on the Canda forum. It can get like that at times.

I moved here from a small village just outside Edinburgh in October 05 (but am originally from N Ireland having moved to Scotland after university).
I left the UK for the following reasons:
* I'm a bit of a wanderer and feel that life is too short to spend it all living in one country! Came on holiday to Canada and loved it!
* The UK (in my opinion only, please everyone reading this don't be offended) is on a downward slope, especially regarding the future as a retired person. I don't want to work in the NHS (as good as it is!) until I'm 70 for a pittance of a pensio, if indeed there is a pension system then!
* Property prices keep rising and there's no way I could afford a bigger place or anywhere I could escape from the awful neighbours I had!!

Anyway, probably not the best reasons in the world, but I'm glad I did it. I live in an awful rented log cabin (lack of decent rentals here in the boonies) and have kicked hubbie out (something I should have done years ago - coming here gave me the oomph to do it finally!), but wouldn't move back to the UK for anything!!

Main things that spring to mind on miving here are:
* It can be expensive (in Ontario car insurance is pricey, but pay monthly and it's easier to cope with, in the north food is expensive) but like anywhere in the world, if you want all the fancy dancy stuff in life right now and saddle yourself with lots of debt to get it, of course life will be expensive and you won't have a lot of disposable income at the end of the month. I think a lot of the Brits moving to the west are buying huge houses and cars, bigger than they had in the UK as there's a myth that property is cheap here - yes, 10 years ago but not now. You do get more house for your money here than the UK for the same money. But like the UK, it depends where you go - if you go to the big cities - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto - yes, be prepared to pay through the nose for property, but Canada is enormous, you don't have to live in one of those cities.

* Even though Canada is an English-speaking country, it's taken me a long time to get used to the different terminology in everyday life and in the healthcare system (where I work) - I've developed a sixth sense of when someone hasn't understood me (sort of glaze forms over their eyes!!) and I have to backtrack and rephrase!! As I often work with kids, it gets interesting at times!

* Canada is very much a culture where, even though they have a lot of immigrants, they aren't that well set up in terms of explaining things officially, well certainly here off the beaten track anyway. A lot of knowledge is shared by networking, eg. house rentals, jobs, etc.

* People are exceptionally friendly and helpful, especially when they know you've just arrived from the UK, but I almost feel at times that the friendliness can be just a surface politeness and that Canadians (like Edinburghers) take some time to become true friends. In saying that I have at least 4 marvellous friends here that I know I can call on at any time if I need help. I've tried to take the first step in making friendships and often have people over for dinner, etc. In fact we had the inaugural meeting of the Red Lake Women's Pudding Club last week at my house (basically an excuse for a load of women to get together and eat lots of dessert!).

* Employment legislation is very much in favour of the employer. Employment doesn't feel as secure here as it did in the UK (although I know my job is safe as nobody else is mad enough to come this far north!!) and the unions are a joke! If you work in healthcare you're safe!

* Much more of an outdoorsy lifestyle here - in the UK I came home from work and all leisure activities (except hillwalking) were indoors. Now I'm hardly ever indoors! Walking, fishing, kayaking, camping and in the winter XC skiing, nordic walking, etc.

* Lifestyle is definitely more laid back, even work is more laid back. It's worth it for the lower wages and slightly higher/equal cost of living.

Anyway, think that's all I can think of at the moment. I like to think of myself as a realist with an optomistic leaning in life - I hope you find this post a balanced viewpoint. I know the Canada forum can get a bit heated at times, but it's only other people's experiences and personalities. And Canada is a huge country - more like a collection of small countries with their own wee parliaments doing their own thing, so it very much depends on where you go too!

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ciren's a nice enough place - very 'up its own arse' in one way, but very low rent at one and the same time - bleeding expensive on either side of the fence. Lots of posh boutique style shops, some great eateries, couple of good large supermarkts including a Waitrose, good communications road-wise via the 419 to the M5 or M4, close to the Cotswold Water Park (kind of pales into insignificance compared to Oz coastline, but when it's all you've got ...), close enough to Cheltenham and Bath one way and Swindon the other, some highly rated schools (both state and private), also close to the rest of the Cotswolds for days out etc. On balance, not a bad spot if you can afford it.

And yep - apologies to the OP for thread hijack.
Thanks Hutch. Interesting and useful first-hand insight.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see your point entirely. Attractions of Canada (bearing in mind we will live in a town/village not a city) - it is hugely big, it has true wilderness areas, it is booming economically, it will give my daughter a better childhood, we will be able to buy a house with land, it has snow (not just mud and drizzle), it has a very good health service, people have more respect for one another, we will have a better, more relaxed lifestyle. In no particular order and off the top of my head and I am sure there are negatives to one or all of my reasons for liking the look of Canada.

I do also think that 'escape' is a valid reason to leave GB. The negatives far outweigh the positives here for me at the moment and I have done a lot of soul searching on the reasons we want to leave. It is a huge step and I don't want to take it if there is a good chance that a year later we will hate it and want to come back.
How will canada give your kids a better childhood? I have 2 kids here in Canada they have exactly the same life as they would have in England.

Also whats so special about snow, here in Montreal we get tonnes of the stuff. It's fine until christmas but it wears a bit thin for the next 4 months.

The true wilderness areas are wilderness that because nobody wants to live there.

The health service here is very similar to the NHS, there are some better things and some worse bu toverall it is similar.

If the lifestyle so relaxed why do the poor suckers here only get 2 weeks paid holiday?.

These are all things you need to consider. Canada is by no means a bad place but I think your better off improving your life in the UK

Jonathan
Old Aug 15th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
How will canada give your kids a better childhood? I have 2 kids here in Canada they have exactly the same life as they would have in England.

Also whats so special about snow, here in Montreal we get tonnes of the stuff. It's fine until christmas but it wears a bit thin for the next 4 months.

The true wilderness areas are wilderness that because nobody wants to live there.

The health service here is very similar to the NHS, there are some better things and some worse bu toverall it is similar.

If the lifestyle so relaxed why do the poor suckers here only get 2 weeks paid holiday?.

These are all things you need to consider. Canada is by no means a bad place but I think your better off improving your life in the UK

Jonathan
I have no wish to get into a 'why I want to leave Britain' rant, especially in this forum, but there are many, many reasons why I don't want to raise my daughter in this country. You are the only person who has said that your children have the same life as they would have in Britain. One thing I have got consistently from the Canada forum is that it is much better for children, more family friendly, safer, etc, etc.

To answer everything else, your comments on wilderness are a little inane (no offence there btw), I am sure snow gets boring after a while but it is great for skiing, snowboarding, skidooing and loads of other outdoor stuff, the health service is on a par fair enough, 2 weeks holiday - that is about all my partner manages to take off here in Britain so no change there. As for improving our lives here, by many standards we have a very good life and we can and are improving it but that doesn't preclude us from going to another country and improving it more.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Jonathan

wow, you must be very unlucky in montreal, I have been here since jan 05 (Vancouver), and for children/family life, Canada is way better than the UK.
Canadians are fantastic with kids, always stop to say hello etc, and make you feel very welcome with your kids wherever you go.
The activities for children, here in bc are just unbelievable, theres so much choice.
Canada generally has exceeeded my expectations, my only dificulty has been requalifying (lawyer), but would i would advise anyone, considering a better family life, this is soooooooooooo much better. As for the vacation comment, its not as black and white as 2 weeks, you negotiate more. When I went for my interview for articles, my firm told me I can negotiate as much as poss once qualified here. Thats my view anyway!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure snow gets boring after a while but it is great for skiing, snowboarding, skidooing and loads of other outdoor stuff,
Depends where you go in canada. Sure I get snow in ontario, it looks pretty and its OK for snowballs, but its often not enough to go XC sking, and downhill in Ontario is not like living within a drive to the rockies. Skidooing is a big deal round here. Its OK, if you like the sound of a 2 stroke buzzing in your ears..thats why I prefer XC ski, but last year in all seriousness there were about 3 weekends when conditions were OK on the local trails. Whoopdedo.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi! if you want to know what kind of thoughts were going through my mind when i emigrated to canada from the uk in 2004, just type in my name into the search box on the canada forum and have a read. there are plus and minus points to all places and canada is not utopia, nor is any other place!

I have been told to post my original question (which had been in the Canada forum) here so here it is:

"Hi, I am new to this forum so please be kind to me.

My partner and I are considering migration to Canada. I would be really grateful if you could tell me your experiences of the best and the worst things (and anything in between) about living in Canada and how it compares to GB. All I get from the Canadian migration sites is that Canada is a modern-day utopia where everything is lovely and fluffy all of the time. Whilst I don't debate this I am sure there must be some things that are somewhat less than perfect?

I look forward to your replies."
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
wow, you must be very unlucky in montreal, I have been here since jan 05 (Vancouver), and for children/family life, Canada is way better than the UK.
Canadians are fantastic with kids, always stop to say hello etc, and make you feel very welcome with your kids wherever you go.
The activities for children, here in bc are just unbelievable, theres so much choice.
Canada generally has exceeeded my expectations, my only dificulty has been requalifying (lawyer), but would i would advise anyone, considering a better family life, this is soooooooooooo much better. As for the vacation comment, its not as black and white as 2 weeks, you negotiate more. When I went for my interview for articles, my firm told me I can negotiate as much as poss once qualified here. Thats my view anyway!
Hi

It's good to here all is well for you in vancouver. I don't dislike it here but Eastern Canada may as well be a different country from the West. In fact I think geographically England is slightly closer to me than you are.

Also bear in mind I am back in the UK every 3 months so certain things are fresher in my mind about the place.

We get sh*t loads of snow , far , farmore than vancouver, Montreal is covered with the stuff from around Dec 3rd to early APril. When I'm out on a 47 below zero (with windchill) day I just want to get away from Canada. Last winter was considered warm, I couldn't take my kids out of the house for 2 weeks in February, the temp didn't go above minus 15. It's things like that spoil my family enjoyment.

Lots of my friends and wife's family seem to only get 2 weeks holiday, their employers seem also to have no qualms about calling them when they are on holiday. Frankly its just an observation, it doesn't affect me as I run my business in the UK from Canada, and take 6 weeks anyway.

I've really over analysed the family aspect of things, here in Westmount people stop and say hello a lot, it's a really nice area, but it's the same when I am walking around in Oxfordshire back home in England.

In no way am I saying it's a bad family life here,(in MOntreal) and I don't consider myself unlucky, i just don't think it's any better than the UK, purely based on my experience.

Best of luck

Jonathan
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I have no wish to get into a 'why I want to leave Britain' rant, especially in this forum, but there are many, many reasons why I don't want to raise my daughter in this country. You are the only person who has said that your children have the same life as they would have in Britain. One thing I have got consistently from the Canada forum is that it is much better for children, more family friendly, safer, etc, etc.

To answer everything else, your comments on wilderness are a little inane (no offence there btw), I am sure snow gets boring after a while but it is great for skiing, snowboarding, skidooing and loads of other outdoor stuff, the health service is on a par fair enough, 2 weeks holiday - that is about all my partner manages to take off here in Britain so no change there. As for improving our lives here, by many standards we have a very good life and we can and are improving it but that doesn't preclude us from going to another country and improving it more.
No offence taken

I don't dislike it here at all.

In terms of the safety aspect I can give you a good honest opinion. Canada appears on the surface to be safer, there is an underbelly that is better hidden.

A prime example, my office is on a very major street in montreal, I usually arrive there at 5am, at that time I see all the homeless people sleeping on the benches. Any normal time of the day they are simply moved on by the police and you would never even know they existed.

JUst a few weeks ago I was with my 18 month old son in the park(in a nice area), there was a man sitting there watching the playground, one of the fathers started screaming at him to get away, and how , people like you wern't welcome in the park. I'd never take my eyes of my son or daughter here anymore or less than the UK, there are very nasty people here too.

The number of kids who bring knives to school in this city is around 20 per cent, thats been in the news a bit in the last few days, another example of how it isn't really any safer for kids.

Regarding the snow, I would challenge anyone who has lived through a Montreal winter to say they like the stuff. The wilderness comment is one i've heard from countless Canadians.

I may well be the only person speaking like this, but I do live here, and I get back to the UK 4 times a year so I feel qualified to comment and compare. that must count for something. I have no axe to grind against Canada, and try to look at it with an unbiased eye.

I have a good life here, I'm sure you will be fine wherever you move to

Jonathan
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

No offence taken

I don't dislike it here at all.

In terms of the safety aspect I can give you a good honest opinion. Canada appears on the surface to be safer, there is an underbelly that is better hidden.

A prime example, my office is on a very major street in montreal, I usually arrive there at 5am, at that time I see all the homeless people sleeping on the benches. Any normal time of the day they are simply moved on by the police and you would never even know they existed.

JUst a few weeks ago I was with my 18 month old son in the park(in a nice area), there was a man sitting there watching the playground, one of the fathers started screaming at him to get away, and how , people like you wern't welcome in the park. I'd never take my eyes of my son or daughter here anymore or less than the UK, there are very nasty people here too.

The number of kids who bring knives to school in this city is around 20 per cent, thats been in the news a bit in the last few days, another example of how it isn't really any safer for kids.

Regarding the snow, I would challenge anyone who has lived through a Montreal winter to say they like the stuff. The wilderness comment is one i've heard from countless Canadians.

I may well be the only person speaking like this, but I do live here, and I get back to the UK 4 times a year so I feel qualified to comment and compare. that must count for something. I have no axe to grind against Canada, and try to look at it with an unbiased eye.

I have a good life here, I'm sure you will be fine wherever you move to

Jonathan
But I think that any city will be less safe than a rural area or small town which is where we would want to live. I wouldn't want to live in the safest city in the world but then I am such a country mouse. I don't want to do the compare and contrast thing as we all have dire examples of horrid stuff happening (and you are right, there are paedo's everywhere), but I will relate something that shocked me to the core recently.

I live in a small and sleepy Cotswold town of around 2,000 people. It is deeply middle class here as you can imagine and there are no rough areas - even the council houses are gorgeous. Well, I take my daughter to play in a small park a couple of minutes walk away most days but I have to be really careful where she plays there now because someone buried knives and needles blade up in the sandpit a couple of weeks ago. Thank God they were found before a child fell on one, and the park was closed down for a couple of days. What came out afterwards was that this wasn't the first time that it had happened.

I just want to get away from the current British culture/attitude of no respect for anyone or anything and no consequences for any actions no matter how anti-social.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

But I think that any city will be less safe than a rural area or small town which is where we would want to live. I wouldn't want to live in the safest city in the world but then I am such a country mouse. I don't want to do the compare and contrast thing as we all have dire examples of horrid stuff happening (and you are right, there are paedo's everywhere), but I will relate something that shocked me to the core recently.

I live in a small and sleepy Cotswold town of around 2,000 people. It is deeply middle class here as you can imagine and there are no rough areas - even the council houses are gorgeous. Well, I take my daughter to play in a small park a couple of minutes walk away most days but I have to be really careful where she plays there now because someone buried knives and needles blade up in the sandpit a couple of weeks ago. Thank God they were found before a child fell on one, and the park was closed down for a couple of days. What came out afterwards was that this wasn't the first time that it had happened.

I just want to get away from the current British culture/attitude of no respect for anyone or anything and no consequences for any actions no matter how anti-social.
The sandpit thing has happened a few times here in the sleepy suburbs of Perth, Australia. It is shocking, but sadly it seems hard to get away from this kind of thing in our modern world. All you can do is become really vigilant and hope it doesn't happen. I always find myself checking the sand as soon as we get to the park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.