Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Wikiposts

The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default The good, the bad and the ugly II...

I have been told to post my original question (which had been in the Canada forum) here so here it is:

"Hi, I am new to this forum so please be kind to me.

My partner and I are considering migration to Canada. I would be really grateful if you could tell me your experiences of the best and the worst things (and anything in between) about living in Canada and how it compares to GB. All I get from the Canadian migration sites is that Canada is a modern-day utopia where everything is lovely and fluffy all of the time. Whilst I don't debate this I am sure there must be some things that are somewhat less than perfect?

I look forward to your replies."
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: The good, the bad and the ugly II...

Originally Posted by sinope
I have been told to post my original question (which had been in the Canada forum) here so here it is:

My partner and I are considering migration to Canada. I would be really grateful if you could tell me your experiences of the best and the worst things (and anything in between) about living in Canada and how it compares to GB. All I get from the Canadian migration sites is that Canada is a modern-day utopia where everything is lovely and fluffy all of the time. Whilst I don't debate this I am sure there must be some things that are somewhat less than perfect?

Oh dear.....
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:23 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm i'd have thought your best bet was the canadian forum as this is for folks moving back home......anyway welcome and where in the cotswold are you...what a beautiful place to live
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

modern-day utopia where everything is lovely and fluffy
That's because it snows constantly
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Oh why would you want to leave the Cotswolds? my husband and I spent Christmas last year at Stow-in the Wolds. and we loved it....such a beautiful part of Britain,we hope to visit there again this year. have not been to Cananda,but have heard it also is very beautiful.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't help on Canada, but you're definitely in the right place here. Very wise to get opinions from those who have been and returned before you make a decision. Should be compulsory reading.

If nobody replies, just try reading past posts on this forum. There has been loads of stuff from people who were out there and came back, or want to come back.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

We want to move from Britain for many reasons including, health service, education, housing costs, quality of life, state of farming and the countryside, chav culture... Yes the Cotswolds are very beautiful but my partner and I will never be able to afford to buy a house here and due to the invasion of the townies and second home owners community spirit is declining rapidly. I only posted here because I was told it would give me a rounded idea of Canada and I want to know the reasons that people leave as well as the reasons people stay.

Having said all of that the thread I started in the Canada area on the same topic erupted into a bitchy slagging match after about five posts and I am none the wiser on the reasons that people stay. I am actually quite shocked and disappointed at how unfriendly people have been so far. Anyway, thanks for the replies and I shall continue to trawl through the archives.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

We want to move from Britain for many reasons including, health service, education, housing costs, quality of life, state of farming and the countryside, chav culture... Yes the Cotswolds are very beautiful but my partner and I will never be able to afford to buy a house here and due to the invasion of the townies and second home owners community spirit is declining rapidly. I only posted here because I was told it would give me a rounded idea of Canada and I want to know the reasons that people leave as well as the reasons people stay.

Having said all of that the thread I started in the Canada area on the same topic erupted into a bitchy slagging match after about five posts and I am none the wiser on the reasons that people stay. I am actually quite shocked and disappointed at how unfriendly people have been so far. Anyway, thanks for the replies and I shall continue to trawl through the archives.
It's like that on the Australia forum too. On here, however, you tend to get a friendlier, more thoughtful bunch, albeit with the occasional intrusion.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We just left the Cotswolds - Nailsworth to be precise. But have moved to Oz, so can't help you on your mission.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
We just left the Cotswolds - Nailsworth to be precise. But have moved to Oz, so can't help you on your mission.
I think I'd like to live in that area, but don't really trust my judgement any more. I like the scenery but not sure about the climate, or the social climate.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:21 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I think I'd like to live in that area, but don't really trust my judgement any more. I like the scenery but not sure about the climate, or the social climate.
Comes down to the age old 'horses for courses' I guess. For us it was a welcome relief after the madness that was Bath. Lovely bit of the world, but that leads to extremely expensive property and more than its fair share of second-homers and retirees. At least our old town, Nailsworth, had a bit of life to it - places like Stow and Painswick were about as close to a living hell as I think I've come.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely bit of the world, but that leads to extremely expensive property and more than its fair share of second-homers and retirees
Exactly the same up here in Derbyshire (the bit I am in, at least).

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

We want to move from Britain for many reasons including, health service, education, housing costs, quality of life, state of farming and the countryside, chav culture... Yes the Cotswolds are very beautiful but my partner and I will never be able to afford to buy a house here and due to the invasion of the townies and second home owners community spirit is declining rapidly.
You need to think about what you would gain by moving overseas, rather than thinking just about the bad things you can leave behind. You need to be attracted to a place rather than choosing it as an escape from what you loathe. You will find that Canda (or wherever) has many of the same problems as the UK - some better some worse. And whereas you'll say goodbye to some issues full stop, you'll find a whole host of new ones that you never even considered. Yes, you do need to get the big picture of what's good and what's bad, but the impression I get from your post is that you are looking to 'escape'. As well as looking at the negatives in your homeland, also look carefully at the positives (there are many that you probably take for granted) and weigh up whether you will gain as much as you will lose. Good luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Comes down to the age old 'horses for courses' I guess. For us it was a welcome relief after the madness that was Bath. Lovely bit of the world, but that leads to extremely expensive property and more than its fair share of second-homers and retirees. At least our old town, Nailsworth, had a bit of life to it - places like Stow and Painswick were about as close to a living hell as I think I've come.
Funnily enough, one reason I thought about that area was to be close to the madness of Bath, but not in it, if you know what I mean. Do you have a view on Cirencester?

That said, I've just been cycling along the ocean front here in Perth as the sun went down, and I'm having one of those "there's nowhere I'd rather be right now days". Sad git that I am, I will soon be getting homesick when Midsomer Murders comes back on, or even Top Gear Watching those idiots insult each other and tear through the English countryside in cars worth more than the average house just kills me.

Apologies to the first poster for not talking about Canada. I'm sure those guys will be along soon
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
You need to think about what you would gain by moving overseas, rather than thinking just about the bad things you can leave behind. You need to be attracted to a place rather than choosing it as an escape from what you loathe. You will find that Canda (or wherever) has many of the same problems as the UK - some better some worse. And whereas you'll say goodbye to some issues full stop, you'll find a whole host of new ones that you never even considered. Yes, you do need to get the big picture of what's good and what's bad, but the impression I get from your post is that you are looking to 'escape'. As well as looking at the negatives in your homeland, also look carefully at the positives (there are many that you probably take for granted) and weigh up whether you will gain as much as you will lose. Good luck.

Yes, I see your point entirely. Attractions of Canada (bearing in mind we will live in a town/village not a city) - it is hugely big, it has true wilderness areas, it is booming economically, it will give my daughter a better childhood, we will be able to buy a house with land, it has snow (not just mud and drizzle), it has a very good health service, people have more respect for one another, we will have a better, more relaxed lifestyle. In no particular order and off the top of my head and I am sure there are negatives to one or all of my reasons for liking the look of Canada.

I do also think that 'escape' is a valid reason to leave GB. The negatives far outweigh the positives here for me at the moment and I have done a lot of soul searching on the reasons we want to leave. It is a huge step and I don't want to take it if there is a good chance that a year later we will hate it and want to come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.