Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going home for indefinite period

Going home for indefinite period

Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home for indefinite period

Originally Posted by dboy
Ah Morecambe - that's where my old man lives. Not what it used to be mind - make sure you get into Lancaster for the day - i always liked it there, spent many a summer there as a kid staying with my old man's family.
We are going to abandon the men on pleasure beach for a day, I'm sure they'll love it. Then Mum and I will go shopping and drink tea and pick them up for dinnertime.
I haven't been to morcombe or blackpool since I was a little kid.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 6:41 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are going to abandon the men on pleasure beach for a day, I'm sure they'll love it. Then Mum and I will go shopping and drink tea and pick them up for dinnertime.
I haven't been to morcombe or blackpool since I was a little kid.
There is no fun fair anymore in morecambe - the area has become quite depressed over the years. Blackpool is still much the same with all the drunken yobs stumbling down the golden mile.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

There is no fun fair anymore in morecambe - the area has become quite depressed over the years. Blackpool is still much the same with all the drunken yobs stumbling down the golden mile.
Morecambe is an absolute dive these days. I come from a few miles out of Morecambe and it is embarrassing what has happened to the place.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:56 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Morecambe is an absolute dive these days. I come from a few miles out of Morecambe and it is embarrassing what has happened to the place.
Yes I agree, I've been going there off and on my entire life. I can remember when the pier was blown over in the storm and 50 pence pieces all over the front.

My father lives in Westgate and my step mother used to have a caravan park during the areas heyday. Not much left anymore - few run down bars in the west end, the odd ok eatery. Sad really,

Lancaster still has some charm although I would tend to avoid it on a weekend night. Heysham is worth a visit. Not much else I'm afraid. At least the lakes and Kendale are close by - lovely country side about.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:00 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, I've been going there off and on my entire life. I can remember when the pier was blown over in the storm and 50 pence pieces all over the front.

My father lives in Westgate and my step mother used to have a caravan park during the areas heyday. Not much left anymore - few run down bars in the west end, the odd ok eatery. Sad really,

Lancaster still has some charm although I would tend to avoid it on a weekend night. Heysham is worth a visit. Not much else I'm afraid. At least the lakes and Kendale are close by - lovely country side about.
Some beautiful countryside around the place for sure. I come from Warton just around the bay a little and it's lovely. My husband and I did all our going out around Lancaster and Morecambe and Brooks nightclub in Lancaster was a serious underage haunt of mine during school. Oh happy days such a long time ago.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Noooo, you are all depresing me. We are going to go into Lancaster a couple of times, we looked up some stuff to do. It looks like they have a lovely park, and some good markets, (now I have my fingers crossed) the guys like a good root through old stuff. All Dd wants is a paddling pool and a playground, she'll be happy.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:40 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about Morecambe. It's sad. I don't know why they let it run down so much. But I hear they're saving and doing over the Midland Hotel and that really is a gem. Perhaps it's a sign of better things.

Heysham is still great, I think, especially if you like history. Isn't the church there one of the oldest still in use in England?

Bev
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:43 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Bevm
I agree about Morecambe. It's sad. I don't know why they let it run down so much. But I hear they're saving and doing over the Midland Hotel and that really is a gem. Perhaps it's a sign of better things.

Heysham is still great, I think, especially if you like history. Isn't the church there one of the oldest still in use in England?

Bev
They have already done the Midland but my MIL says its not doing great business. The sort of folk that would like that type of hotel wouldn't be seen dead going to Morecambe. My Aunt and Uncle live in Heysham village and it is a little gem of a place.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:17 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey just heard that you are heading back, you was flying out as my mum was flying in, i did try to get upstairs, but the kids was running my legs off

I am so glad that the trip has sorted you both out, i think sometimes that is the best medicine for us all.
All i want to say is "Well done and good luck to you"
Cyber hugs {{{{hugs}}}}

LB
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ruby...sorry I've only just seen this thread.

I'm glad you and your daughter managed to go back to the UK. Now you've been there a while and realise it's not the place for you...you can go back to Canada and get on with your lives.

All the very best.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

hippym is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ruby,

I have been living in the US for past 11 years and tend to romanticize England and start thinking about moving back there every so often. Then when I visit I wonder what the hell was I thinking and feel there is no way I could move back there. However, the romanticism begins again when I return back stateside after a couple of months. It may sound silly, but you may want to write down your thoughts and feelings about being back in the UK each night before bed, then if when you return this side of the Atlantic you start idealizing life in Britain again, you can get the diary out and remind yourself how you felt when you were there.

I feel that I don't truly belong in either country anymore. England has changed so much since I left and America will never be home. And I guess, I have changed so much since I lived in Britain. It's not easy finding where you fit. Anyway, good luck and I hope you feel much more settled when you return to Canada.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippym
Hi Ruby,

I have been living in the US for past 11 years and tend to romanticize England and start thinking about moving back there every so often. Then when I visit I wonder what the hell was I thinking and feel there is no way I could move back there. However, the romanticism begins again when I return back stateside after a couple of months. It may sound silly, but you may want to write down your thoughts and feelings about being back in the UK each night before bed, then if when you return this side of the Atlantic you start idealizing life in Britain again, you can get the diary out and remind yourself how you felt when you were there.

I feel that I don't truly belong in either country anymore. England has changed so much since I left and America will never be home. And I guess, I have changed so much since I lived in Britain. It's not easy finding where you fit. Anyway, good luck and I hope you feel much more settled when you return to Canada.
Hippym,
I completely relate to the things you said and I just wanted to say to Ruby that I think it is a good idea to write down her feelings too and to keep the notes nearby on bad days in Canada in the future, should they occur. Our memories can play terrible tricks on us - especially during our weaker moments. All the best to you Ruby and your decision to return. I'm sure your DH and DS will be happy to have you and your DS back with them.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

glad to read this thread. Hippym I do exactly as you do - in US pine for UK in UK pine for US. Next year I am going to back to UK for at least 2 months to see if I can move back there permanently. One thing I have learned is that I come from Preston. If I were to move back to Preston I would die - nowt there anymore as we Lancashire folks would say. So if I move back to UK I would live elsewhere - somewhere more scenic. Would like to live in Scotland actually. I am now 47 nearly 48 and have to think if do move back for good what would I do for a career. currently I am back in school studying to be a speech language pathologist. I need a Masters eventually and would like need at least 2-3 years experience before could work in UK as an SLP. So I still am looking at a good 5-6 years before I move back for good if I do..So I do completely understand where you are coming from. I feel as though no place is home really anymore but out of the two UK feels more like home.

Ruby glad you made trip and it helped you decide what place is best for you.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by fulwood
glad to read this thread. Hippym I do exactly as you do - in US pine for UK in UK pine for US. Next year I am going to back to UK for at least 2 months to see if I can move back there permanently. One thing I have learned is that I come from Preston. If I were to move back to Preston I would die - nowt there anymore as we Lancashire folks would say. So if I move back to UK I would live elsewhere - somewhere more scenic. Would like to live in Scotland actually. I am now 47 nearly 48 and have to think if do move back for good what would I do for a career. currently I am back in school studying to be a speech language pathologist. I need a Masters eventually and would like need at least 2-3 years experience before could work in UK as an SLP. So I still am looking at a good 5-6 years before I move back for good if I do..So I do completely understand where you are coming from. I feel as though no place is home really anymore but out of the two UK feels more like home.

Ruby glad you made trip and it helped you decide what place is best for you.
Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I can't imagine going back if I were to move to Preston. The lake district and Yorkshire would be somewhere near the top of my list. Driving to Morcombe we did get glimpses of beautiful countryside. I was very impressed by Heysham village, it was gorgeous and friendly.