Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

going home is getting closer

going home is getting closer

Old May 24th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all
Default going home is getting closer

hi all,

don't post too often on here, but really appreciate reading posts from everyone who are, like us very homesick, we have just agreed a sale on our property [after 6 months on the market] and fingers crossed after several disappointments we can finally make plans for our return to wales!!...we just have a coule of questions for people who have moved back.....

1. do all electrcal items work back in Uk?

2. can you claim tax refund once back in Uk?

3. can you get a refund from your super fund?

4. has anyone used OSS removal company?

we really appreciate any feedback you can give us

many thanks

Chris & Stu
Old May 24th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all
Default Re: going home is getting closer

Originally Posted by stu66
hi all,

don't post too often on here, but really appreciate reading posts from everyone who are, like us very homesick, we have just agreed a sale on our property [after 6 months on the market] and fingers crossed after several disappointments we can finally make plans for our return to wales!!...we just have a coule of questions for people who have moved back.....

many thanks

Chris & Stu
Hello,sorry cant help you with any of your questions,just like to wish you all the best for your return,we are going back in 2 days time..........you should be back in time for xmas!! Good luck and take care.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HimnHer
Hello,sorry cant help you with any of your questions,just like to wish you all the best for your return,we are going back in 2 days time..........you should be back in time for xmas!! Good luck and take care.
thank you....good luck to you too...bet you can't wait!
Old May 24th 2009, 7:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

many thanks

Chris & Stu
A lot of the answer will depend on where you are moving back from, so where are you at the moment?
Old May 24th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A lot of the answer will depend on where you are moving back from, so where are you at the moment?
oops forgot to mention that...australia
Old May 24th 2009, 11:42 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

many thanks

Chris & Stu
1. Most Australian electrics work in UK. All our smaller appliances will. Nu Shooz posted that her TV worked fine when she came back, but just check beforehand.

2. If you are leaving Aus permanently, you can claim you tax refund before you go by filling in a form from the ATO website

3. Contact TraceyW about refund of super annuation. MY OH wasnt eligible because he is form NZ but apparently there is a way of getting it back, but i cant remember what she said now.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
1. Most Australian electrics work in UK. All our smaller appliances will. Nu Shooz posted that her TV worked fine when she came back, but just check beforehand.

2. If you are leaving Aus permanently, you can claim you tax refund before you go by filling in a form from the ATO website

3. Contact TraceyW about refund of super annuation. MY OH wasnt eligible because he is form NZ but apparently there is a way of getting it back, but i cant remember what she said now.
thank you....been following all your posts, they keep me going.....i can see you're very happy back home and have no regrets...like you i too have a daughter and son in thier 20's and miss them so much....so fingers crossed this sale will happen
Old May 24th 2009, 11:49 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

thank you....been following all your posts, they keep me going.....i can see you're very happy back home and have no regrets...like you i too have a daughter and son in thier 20's and miss them so much....so fingers crossed this sale will happen
I will keep my fingers crossed for your house sale.

You should come back today! Its that warm and sunny all the grandkids are coming over to go in the outdoor swimming pool here!
Old May 24th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Best of luck with it all, Chris and Stu. Just out of interest, how long have you been out there?
Old May 25th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

many thanks

Chris & Stu
Good luck Stu and knowing your children are waiting for you must be just lovely...we have sold our home and at the moment are in a rental (it took us on and off a year to sell our home) so we have now decided to wait for our youngest to finish year 11 (Dec 09) and then head home in the New Year.....we are going to enjoy ourselves as much as we can now the "stress" of selling our home is over....and then I will start getting quotes etc and maybe even selling or giving away our funiture if we decide just to buy new items once home....
What I would like to know is "can you get a refund for your super"....could you let me know what that means?..........not heard that one before....
No sure what part of Aus your moving from so cannot help with the removals we are West Aus....

good luck and best wishes
Old May 25th 2009, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartianTom
Best of luck with it all, Chris and Stu. Just out of interest, how long have you been out there?
been here for 3 and a half years....went to melbourne first for 14 months now northern new south wales on the queensland border, i [chris] knew almost straight away that this would never be home, and i have tried so hard to settle, but the pull to go home has always been stronger, as a lot on here say, you sometimes have to move away from what you have to realise exactly how good it was, i'm so excited to be going OH on the other hand is having mixed thoughts about it, which is creating an atmostphere, all i can hope for is that he comes with me, if not i'll be going alone.

thanks for your good wishes, it's people like you on here who keep us all going!
Old May 25th 2009, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Good luck Stu and knowing your children are waiting for you must be just lovely...we have sold our home and at the moment are in a rental (it took us on and off a year to sell our home) so we have now decided to wait for our youngest to finish year 11 (Dec 09) and then head home in the New Year.....we are going to enjoy ourselves as much as we can now the "stress" of selling our home is over....and then I will start getting quotes etc and maybe even selling or giving away our funiture if we decide just to buy new items once home....
What I would like to know is "can you get a refund for your super"....could you let me know what that means?..........not heard that one before....
No sure what part of Aus your moving from so cannot help with the removals we are West Aus....

good luck and best wishes
hi
just contacted super fund and was advised that once i have returned to uk, i have to let immigration in oz know that i no longer want my visa, once it is null and void or has expired then i can claim all my super fund back and they send a cheque to uk address.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi
just contacted super fund and was advised that once i have returned to uk, i have to let immigration in oz know that i no longer want my visa, once it is null and void or has expired then i can claim all my super fund back and they send a cheque to uk address.
Many thanks for that..I will look into it....I have days when you have mixed feelings but after 12 years of just trying to feel "at home" gets exhausting so yes we are looking forward to our return...

good luck and best wishes....

ps can you claim your super back if you are an Aus Citizen but are returning home...?
Old May 25th 2009, 10:10 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

been here for 3 and a half years....went to melbourne first for 14 months now northern new south wales on the queensland border, i [chris] knew almost straight away that this would never be home, and i have tried so hard to settle, but the pull to go home has always been stronger, as a lot on here say, you sometimes have to move away from what you have to realise exactly how good it was, i'm so excited to be going OH on the other hand is having mixed thoughts about it, which is creating an atmostphere, all i can hope for is that he comes with me, if not i'll be going alone.

thanks for your good wishes, it's people like you on here who keep us all going!

Dont worry, I think every couple has those fears, I too wanted to go home DH would have happily stayed but he chose me and our happiness didnt stop me worring that he wouldnt come home with me. mad thoughts flew through my head. but I was very homesick at the time. for the most part you will both do what best for you as a couple you know you were happy from your home country and you will be again

Good luck
Old May 25th 2009, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Many thanks for that..I will look into it....I have days when you have mixed feelings but after 12 years of just trying to feel "at home" gets exhausting so yes we are looking forward to our return...

good luck and best wishes....

ps can you claim your super back if you are an Aus Citizen but are returning home...?
I'm pretty sure you cant because there would be nothing stopping you from coming back here and being entitled to age benefits later on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.