Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

going home is getting closer

going home is getting closer

Old May 25th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: going home is getting closer

Originally Posted by stu66
been here for 3 and a half years....went to melbourne first for 14 months now northern new south wales on the queensland border, i [chris] knew almost straight away that this would never be home, and i have tried so hard to settle, but the pull to go home has always been stronger, as a lot on here say, you sometimes have to move away from what you have to realise exactly how good it was, i'm so excited to be going OH on the other hand is having mixed thoughts about it, which is creating an atmostphere, all i can hope for is that he comes with me, if not i'll be going alone.

thanks for your good wishes, it's people like you on here who keep us all going!
That's okay. And it's people like you on here who give valuable insights to those of us who are still trying to work things out before making the move. We're all different, of course... but I'm half-way through the application process for Canada and am already beginning to wonder if I'm doing the right thing. The reasons that many people express for returning to the UK are the things that bother me the most. Perfectly natural with anything like this - but I'm becoming convinced that my reasons for wanting to emigrate are not the right ones.

On the other hand, maybe you can rationalise these things too much - which, for me, usually means thinking my way into a reversal! Ho hum...
Old May 25th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

hi all,

don't post too often on here, but really appreciate reading posts from everyone who are, like us very homesick, we have just agreed a sale on our property [after 6 months on the market] and fingers crossed after several disappointments we can finally make plans for our return to wales!!...we just have a coule of questions for people who have moved back.....

1. do all electrcal items work back in Uk?

2. can you claim tax refund once back in Uk?

3. can you get a refund from your super fund?

4. has anyone used OSS removal company?

we really appreciate any feedback you can give us

many thanks

Chris & Stu
Hi Chris and Stu

You can do your tax online once you return to the UK. We had never done it online before, but did it last year and it was very easy. We received our refund (via cheque) very quickly. The cheque only takes about 3 days to clear through UK bank as well.

Kathryn
Old May 25th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
Hi Chris and Stu

You can do your tax online once you return to the UK. We had never done it online before, but did it last year and it was very easy. We received our refund (via cheque) very quickly. The cheque only takes about 3 days to clear through UK bank as well.

Kathryn
thank you thats great....so much to think about!...are you enjoying life back at home andd glad you made the decision to return?
Old May 25th 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartianTom
That's okay. And it's people like you on here who give valuable insights to those of us who are still trying to work things out before making the move. We're all different, of course... but I'm half-way through the application process for Canada and am already beginning to wonder if I'm doing the right thing. The reasons that many people express for returning to the UK are the things that bother me the most. Perfectly natural with anything like this - but I'm becoming convinced that my reasons for wanting to emigrate are not the right ones.

On the other hand, maybe you can rationalise these things too much - which, for me, usually means thinking my way into a reversal! Ho hum...
well if i had known this site existed before we left uk, i might not have taken the plunge, but nothing ventured nothing gained.....in hindsight though i thinl i took the uk too much for granted, and probably came here. like most people with rose tinted glasses...all a learning curve, and don't regret trying something different, but will be so glad to be back home

chris
Old May 25th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Many thanks for that..I will look into it....I have days when you have mixed feelings but after 12 years of just trying to feel "at home" gets exhausting so yes we are looking forward to our return...

good luck and best wishes....

ps can you claim your super back if you are an Aus Citizen but are returning home...?
hi, i don't think you can claim super refund if you're a citizen, i've just read the literature they emailed me, and they take 40% tax out of it too!.....

i'm so like you, tried so hard to make it "home" here but never have been able to let go of real "home".
Old May 26th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi, i don't think you can claim super refund if you're a citizen, i've just read the literature they emailed me, and they take 40% tax out of it too!.....

i'm so like you, tried so hard to make it "home" here but never have been able to let go of real "home".
Hi thanks to you and quoll....just knew we would not be lucky to go home with a nice big fat refund super cheque..oh well just have to keep trying the lotto!!!...yesterday my friend (U.K) told me that a few other of our friends had gone for a coffee and to do some window shopping and saw a great bargain for a holiday in Rhodes..they all went in and booked.....12 all in all...(with teenagers as well)....off they go in June....little things like that I miss...not so much the holiday (I wish) but the laughs my friends still have when they get together and just what they get up to....(all innocent I might add).....
Old May 26th 2009, 2:50 am
Just Joined

bakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant future

hi all,

don't post too often on here, but really appreciate reading posts from everyone who are, like us very homesick, we have just agreed a sale on our property [after 6 months on the market] and fingers crossed after several disappointments we can finally make plans for our return to wales!!...we just have a coule of questions for people who have moved back.....

1. do all electrcal items work back in Uk?

2. can you claim tax refund once back in Uk?

3. can you get a refund from your super fund?

4. has anyone used OSS removal company?

we really appreciate any feedback you can give us

many thanks

Chris & Stu
I think you have to move super to a self-managed fund? And from there you can move it out? I could be wrong but I am trying to look into that aswell. I tried the website that TraceyW gave but all I got was a blank page.
Old May 26th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Baby75
Dont worry, I think every couple has those fears, I too wanted to go home DH would have happily stayed but he chose me and our happiness didnt stop me worring that he wouldnt come home with me. mad thoughts flew through my head. but I was very homesick at the time. for the most part you will both do what best for you as a couple you know you were happy from your home country and you will be again

Good luck
thank you, it helps to know so many have been in the same boat...i think the job situation is making him worry too...he has just started on new hilton job at surfers with guaranteed good incomr for the next couple of years and wonders if he may not get work when he gets back home...

i bet you're loving being back in Ireland, thanks for your good wishes.
Old May 26th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks to you and quoll....just knew we would not be lucky to go home with a nice big fat refund super cheque..oh well just have to keep trying the lotto!!!...yesterday my friend (U.K) told me that a few other of our friends had gone for a coffee and to do some window shopping and saw a great bargain for a holiday in Rhodes..they all went in and booked.....12 all in all...(with teenagers as well)....off they go in June....little things like that I miss...not so much the holiday (I wish) but the laughs my friends still have when they get together and just what they get up to....(all innocent I might add).....
well i'll be glad to do a lottery that i actually understand, never got my around this one here!......yes i know what you mean about old groups of friends, i've never been able to find those sort of people here....when are you moving? did you say end of year?...and where will you move back too?
Old May 26th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

well i'll be glad to do a lottery that i actually understand, never got my around this one here!......yes i know what you mean about old groups of friends, i've never been able to find those sort of people here....when are you moving? did you say end of year?...and where will you move back too?
Oh I just do a 12 game slickpick....and it might sound awful but after all this time here I have never really "got into" it as we did at home..ie special numbers...etc...plus I think you need a degree to fill out the lotto slip!! we have this rental until April (2010) we could not find one for less time...our oldest son will go straight after Christmas etc (he's itching to go as it is) we have not broke the news to our youngest...we are not brave enough..LOL...he will finish school in Dec 09 (yr 11) and then we will go after Christmas and my OH will still.....(for work reasons etc) until July....most days I just cannot wait and want to just start getting on with life but now we have finally sold our home....we can plan everything now and take our time...our oldest son has a place at Uni and starts Sept 2010...he is over the moon about it...our youngest has a college course lined up for Sept 2010, he is going to study a btec in sports......we are moving back to near Manchester..(same area we lived before we came to Aus and where we throughly enjoyed living)believe it or not there are some nice area's in that part of the world we also wanted to be nearer our families and friends again...
Old May 26th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

thank you thats great....so much to think about!...are you enjoying life back at home andd glad you made the decision to return?
Its been very much up and down since our return. My husband only recently secured a job after 6 months of unemployment. Hopefully we will be able to start enjoying life back in the UK now. Having said that though I still miss certain aspects of life in Perth, including my job. You just don't realise that it isn't necessarily going to be straight forward when you return. I didn't anticipate the re-adjustment required to UK living and those feelings of being "lost." I sometimes had feeling of not belonging in Oz, but I have had those same feelings since returning. I can't quite call it "home" yet, but still living in hope!
Old May 27th 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Oh I just do a 12 game slickpick....and it might sound awful but after all this time here I have never really "got into" it as we did at home..ie special numbers...etc...plus I think you need a degree to fill out the lotto slip!! we have this rental until April (2010) we could not find one for less time...our oldest son will go straight after Christmas etc (he's itching to go as it is) we have not broke the news to our youngest...we are not brave enough..LOL...he will finish school in Dec 09 (yr 11) and then we will go after Christmas and my OH will still.....(for work reasons etc) until July....most days I just cannot wait and want to just start getting on with life but now we have finally sold our home....we can plan everything now and take our time...our oldest son has a place at Uni and starts Sept 2010...he is over the moon about it...our youngest has a college course lined up for Sept 2010, he is going to study a btec in sports......we are moving back to near Manchester..(same area we lived before we came to Aus and where we throughly enjoyed living)believe it or not there are some nice area's in that part of the world we also wanted to be nearer our families and friends again...
there are definately some nice places around manchester we were just 40 mins away from there, in mold north wales.....there's no place like home is there?
Old May 27th 2009, 2:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

TraceyW did, you should PM her and ask who she used. I didn't think you could be she posted that her husband claimed his back no bother.
Old May 28th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

there are definately some nice places around manchester we were just 40 mins away from there, in mold north wales.....there's no place like home is there?
We use to spend all our holidays in North Wales...(my dad's family were from Powy's)....every weekend and school holiday was spent in Prestatyn..and we just loved it...before the bypass you had to drive through Mold....we'd love to do the same when we return..in fact our sister in law has just bought a caravan in North Wales (after travelling abrod for years she just loves the area)....
Old May 28th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
TraceyW did, you should PM her and ask who she used. I didn't think you could be she posted that her husband claimed his back no bother.
Thanks for that..hopefully Tracey will be on soon with an update and I can "mob" her then......