going home

Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:11 pm
manc born and bred

michele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default going home

Hi not posted much on this thread have been a bit of a lurker!! Well I've been in algary for only 8 months with hubby and 2 kids and am pleased to say am going home on Saturday! It's been a nightmare and the hardest decision I have had to make as we have to leave my husband behind because he won't put our dog in quarantine so he can't come back until the end of May. It has been a tough decision because he loves it here in Calgary but I can't wait to get back, have promotion at my old company and the girls back in their old school, I know it's the right thing to do and am really excited about going home but also really sad about leaving my husband on his own, we have no friends out here and he doesn't know anyone apart from work colleagues so am not looking forward to the goodbyes at the airport at all, it's all very tense at the moment his brother is picking us up from the airport and we have to fly to gatwick (live in Manchester) so not looking forward to the drive home as I feel as though his family all resent me anyway for leaving him behind. Sorry for the moan it's just a horrible situation to be in and am feeling sorry for myself today!! On a brighter note this time next week will be back with family and friends in good old blighty!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: going home

Originally Posted by michele
Hi not posted much on this thread have been a bit of a lurker!! Well I've been in algary for only 8 months with hubby and 2 kids and am pleased to say am going home on Saturday! It's been a nightmare and the hardest decision I have had to make as we have to leave my husband behind because he won't put our dog in quarantine so he can't come back until the end of May. It has been a tough decision because he loves it here in Calgary but I can't wait to get back, have promotion at my old company and the girls back in their old school, I know it's the right thing to do and am really excited about going home but also really sad about leaving my husband on his own, we have no friends out here and he doesn't know anyone apart from work colleagues so am not looking forward to the goodbyes at the airport at all, it's all very tense at the moment his brother is picking us up from the airport and we have to fly to gatwick (live in Manchester) so not looking forward to the drive home as I feel as though his family all resent me anyway for leaving him behind. Sorry for the moan it's just a horrible situation to be in and am feeling sorry for myself today!! On a brighter note this time next week will be back with family and friends in good old blighty!!!!
We made the same decision only a few weeks ago. We're targetting end of March for us all to return, but the reality of it all will probably mean the wife and kids return end of February with me to follow.

Good Luck.

Simon.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:45 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi michele.
It's got to be tough to leave your husband behind. Hopefully it will pass quickly for you both. I can understand him not wanting to put the dog in Quarantine. At least he will be able to tie up all the lose ends and you and children can leave now. Hopefully his family will understand. If not now then maybe by the time he arrives home all will smooth over. I'm envious really. Wish I were leaving so soon!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Hi Michele

Congratulations on the promotion at work! At least you know you have made the right decision which must feel good after all the uncertainty you must have been through recently.

Although it must be hard, at least you will be back home again with friends and family with husband not too far behind! How do the kids feel about going back?

We've been in Canada for 10 months and have been through alot of ups and downs about whether to stay or go. Our original intention was to move here permanently but now we are giving ourselves until next summer as we are still undecided! In saying that though, we have started to enjoy the experience more in the past few months and have made some good friends which helps alot.

It has certainly been a bit of a roller coaster experience for us as Canada hasn't been as great as we thought it would be. Maybe our expectations were too high - I suppose it's hard to tell, until you try. Now we just have to decide whether to accept it 'warts and all' or move on. At least you have tried it and know what you want. Good luck.

Chris
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:20 pm
manc born and bred

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Hi Michele

Congratulations on the promotion at work! At least you know you have made the right decision which must feel good after all the uncertainty you must have been through recently.

Although it must be hard, at least you will be back home again with friends and family with husband not too far behind! How do the kids feel about going back?

We've been in Canada for 10 months and have been through alot of ups and downs about whether to stay or go. Our original intention was to move here permanently but now we are giving ourselves until next summer as we are still undecided! In saying that though, we have started to enjoy the experience more in the past few months and have made some good friends which helps alot.

It has certainly been a bit of a roller coaster experience for us as Canada hasn't been as great as we thought it would be. Maybe our expectations were too high - I suppose it's hard to tell, until you try. Now we just have to decide whether to accept it 'warts and all' or move on. At least you have tried it and know what you want. Good luck.

Chris
Thanks for support I know we've made the right decision and going back to a job makes it a lot easier! kids are really excited to be seeing family and friends again and back to their old school. We thought it would be much easier in Canada and I'm lad we did it because at least I can say I tried unfortunatley it just wasn't right for me. We live and learn!!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:23 pm
manc born and bred

Originally Posted by callë
Hi michele.
It's got to be tough to leave your husband behind. Hopefully it will pass quickly for you both. I can understand him not wanting to put the dog in Quarantine. At least he will be able to tie up all the lose ends and you and children can leave now. Hopefully his family will understand. If not now then maybe by the time he arrives home all will smooth over. I'm envious really. Wish I were leaving so soon!
Hope it goes quickly but I'll be busy with work and settling in again so I'm sure it will. If his family don't get it then I guess it's just tough, haven't got the energy to worry about them at least I'll get the support from mine. Thanks for your reply.