Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

help....how do you find a vet for

help....how do you find a vet for

Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default help....how do you find a vet for

the pet passport thing I just went to our vet and asked them and they looked at me like I had 4 heads
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:34 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help....how do you find a vet for

Originally Posted by psb182
the pet passport thing I just went to our vet and asked them and they looked at me like I had 4 heads

Most of them do! What we did was print out all the information from the DEFRA site. They even have one page that explains what your vet needs to do. Give it to them and make sure they follow it to the letter! My vet has been pretty good so far...even called the USDA to make sure its done right. Still...I wont rest until I have checked and rechecked. We did have to take ours to a different vet though for the microchip. I had to go through the phone book and find one that does microchipping.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Most of them do! What we did was print out all the information from the DEFRA site. They even have one page that explains what your vet needs to do. Give it to them and make sure they follow it to the letter! My vet has been pretty good so far...even called the USDA to make sure its done right. Still...I wont rest until I have checked and rechecked. We did have to take ours to a different vet though for the microchip. I had to go through the phone book and find one that does microchipping.

cheers I will have a look in the yellow pages thanks
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: help....how do you find a vet for

Here is a link to the steps you need to make to move your pet to the UK.

Your vet can order the microchips and the lab submission forms for the anti-rabies blood test from these guys :

http://www.airanimal.com/news.asp (see paragraph no.4) You might also like to print it off and give a copy to your vet.

There is also a link to the DEFRA site here too.

Plus! their home page http://www.airanimal.com states that pet transportation costs are tax deductible...
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

The USDA here in Georgia gave me the name of a Vet locally (40 miles away) that was experienced in this area and certified somehow. Any Vet can do this though and I had my own Vet do it. They have done it a few times but I still had to watch them on every step. For instance, we went in to get the Rabies shot and the girl started drawing blood. I asked what she was doing and she said she was getting blood for the titer test. I explained she gave the rabies shot then 30 days later took the titer test. She was a bit embarrassed, but my poor dog wound up getting stuck twice because I realized too late what she was doing.

Watch whoever does it and don't be afraid to speak up if there's something that doesn't seem right. Don't rely on them to know how it's all done.

Cheers,

Leslie