Going back to the UK

Old Jun 20th 2020, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to the UK

Originally Posted by djsoul
Thats double taxation though - if you have your W8-BEN on file with your US broker and you are UK domiciled again, wouldn't you just pay tax to the HMRC and not to the IRS at all under the DT treaty? Still trying define whether you have to pay the 10% penalty to the HMRC if you're still under 59 1/2 in this scenario as I can't find clarification anywhere.
I'm a USC living in the UK so W8-BEN does not apply, and my brokerage does not do any mandatory withholding and I choose not to have any withholding each time I make a withdrawal from my IRA. I pay tax to both HMRC and IRS on worldwide income which includes IRA withdrawals but I take a foreign tax credit against my US taxes so pay zero taxes to the IRS. Because I don't have any withholdings on the IRA withdrawals the IRS is not holding my money. When I submit my IRS tax return the tax is calculated as if all the income was taxable in the US then the foreign tax credits are applied.

I don't know how it all works for foreign persons making IRS withdrawals but I would expect the IRS to want its 10% penalty for early withdrawals given that was the agreement when the tax deferred contributions were made.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Admiral Byng is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm new to this site, so apologies if I'm short-cutting or posting in the wrong place...I'm thinking of returning to the UK after 25 years in Canada. On investigating car insurance, I've been quoted 1200 pounds a year. (I have 43 years experience with no accidents.) Someone below has said their insurance is 190 per year. How would I achieve this price?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Admiral Byng
Hi. I'm new to this site, so apologies if I'm short-cutting or posting in the wrong place...I'm thinking of returning to the UK after 25 years in Canada. On investigating car insurance, I've been quoted 1200 pounds a year. (I have 43 years experience with no accidents.) Someone below has said their insurance is 190 per year. How would I achieve this price?
Aviva will honor no claims records from overseas, at least they did in 2017. My son was able to get his insurer to send a pdf file of his driving record which he then uploaded to the Aviva site as part of his car insurance application. He also needed to upload a copy of his last US insurance certificate along with that pdf.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Admiral Byng
To get an insurance premium at that sort of level, you'd need to get your driving record recognised rather than being treated as a new driver, plus live in a safe area, and drive a car that isn't very exciting.

Good luck with the move back.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Admiral Byng is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Toronto and drive a Mazda 2. Doesn't get much more exciting than that. I did use my current vehicle model for the 1200 pound quote for Ipswich! Also not exactly an exciting place to live. Thanks for the advice. I'll contact my present insurer.