to go or to stay

Old May 2nd 2004, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

estarriol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Clare Everest
"Do I like Australia"

The million dollar question...

Australia is nice but Britain has more laughs

My neighbours are great but some people around here will never except us because we are British!!
I am making some friends and looking forward to horse riding etc.. soon

I however hate the subs and everyday I feel trapped here although I do love my house and land!!
Australia has some beautiful places but I can go to Europe cheaper.. Maybe we need a few more holidays here and then head back!! I know that the family would be glad to have us back.
Well, in my mind that would err towards a return decision really. How do the rest of your family feel?

My family, and friends, are overjoyed that I'm coming back BTW. I had thought some of my friends might be upset that I left and haven't contacted them much, but they've all been very cool and supportive and excited that I'm returning.
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby is warming to the idea especially as there will be a wage increase!! he hates the thought of working back in London though... He loves working in Melbourne. His Dad is 70 next year and our kids are his only Grandchildren!! this pulls at the heart a bit.

The kids love it here and enjoy the extra freedom that they have.. they will have a wobbly if we go back!!

I would have flown back 2 weeks ago if the kids passports hadn't been sent off for renewal.

We are returning for a month in a few weeks!! I am very excited as it should answer a few questions for us.. it will be hard saying goodbye though!! I hope I will be saying see you again soon!

Plus i am staying with a girl friend...... Pubs
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

estarriol is an unknown quantity at this point

We are returning for a month in a few weeks!! I am very excited as it should answer a few questions for us.. it will be hard saying goodbye though!! I hope I will be saying see you again soon!

I'm sorry to say for the kids that if both you and your husband like the idea, that's tough. They may well enjoy it here more, but things like education are important IMO.

I went back to the UK for a few weeks at Christmas, and getting on the plane back to Oz was very difficult and tearful. Trust me, it will be hard.
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:19 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is warming to the idea especially as there will be a wage increase!! he hates the thought of working back in London though... He loves working in Melbourne. His Dad is 70 next year and our kids are his only Grandchildren!! this pulls at the heart a bit.

The kids love it here and enjoy the extra freedom that they have.. they will have a wobbly if we go back!!

I would have flown back 2 weeks ago if the kids passports hadn't been sent off for renewal.

Hi Claire

Where in UK are you from??

Be great to have the holiday back maybe it will help.

P
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

We are from Andover near Southampton!!

We will definatly return back there although it will probably be one of the villages nearby.... not sure how to cope with seeing other houses nearby again!!

Where are you moving back to... the same area?
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:38 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

We are from Andover near Southampton!!

We will definatly return back there although it will probably be one of the villages nearby.... not sure how to cope with seeing other houses nearby again!!

Where are you moving back to... the same area?

I know Andover I used to rep all around SE England. I'm from Surrey but cannot afford to go back there so will look at West Sussex or parts of Kent. My mates all generally all over the area so at least I won't be far from any of them.!

So many things to look forward to going home but I will certain things here..bit like you I will miss our home..but then again we will make a house another "home " won't we !!

Can I ask what is getting to you out here??
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

miss mainly the family.....

Pubs aswell although I am going to drag out some of the local girls to see if I can turn them into nutters like my mates were.. Maybe I will find a good pub, if not I will have fun + a bad head trying!!

The other things I hate are the cost of things.. pound to dollar which our wage is approx... most things incl hols and food works out 2 times at the best.

I also hate the fact that you have to say to everybody "only kidding" plus they moan more than us poms!!!! I never see them laughing..

I do love the cracking scenery though!! this has been worth the move.
Old May 2nd 2004, 9:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare
A few questions/thoughts:

- have you had the family come out to Australia for a holiday? (although if you're down in Vic the best time of year has passed - there's always next summer ...)

- what were your reasons for leaving the UK in the first place?

- as others have posted, your children have no real choice in the matter other than to follow where you go. But one or more of them may react against this in later years, especially if they are strong-willed.

- I think you mentioned dentistry costs, last time I checked, NHS dentists were a disappearing species in the UK.

It sounds to me like you've got mixed feelings about Australia, rather than a straightforward dislike.

Jeremy

miss mainly the family.....

Pubs aswell although I am going to drag out some of the local girls to see if I can turn them into nutters like my mates were.. Maybe I will find a good pub, if not I will have fun + a bad head trying!!

The other things I hate are the cost of things.. pound to dollar which our wage is approx... most things incl hols and food works out 2 times at the best.

I also hate the fact that you have to say to everybody "only kidding" plus they moan more than us poms!!!! I never see them laughing..

I do love the cracking scenery though!! this has been worth the move.
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:21 pm
Live the moment

Originally posted by JAJ
Hi Clare
A few questions/thoughts:

- have you had the family come out to Australia for a holiday? (although if you're down in Vic the best time of year has passed - there's always next summer ...)

- what were your reasons for leaving the UK in the first place?

- as others have posted, your children have no real choice in the matter other than to follow where you go. But one or more of them may react against this in later years, especially if they are strong-willed.

- I think you mentioned dentistry costs, last time I checked, NHS dentists were a disappearing species in the UK.

It sounds to me like you've got mixed feelings about Australia, rather than a straightforward dislike.

Jeremy
HI Jeremy

I must say I am sure some of us "returness"don't have a straight forward dislike to Australia just certain aspects of it and I think it really depends on what is important in your life and future happiness. It's not all cut and dried is it??

Dentistry is perhaps disappearing in the UK does that also mean that expectant mothers now have to pay as last time I was home we got it for free!!!I for one will travel far for a NHS dentist then pay what I had to pay for 1 crown here..total of $2100..yes one crown and my private health cover meant I could only claim for a certain amount each year. My daughter's medical bills have added up to a nice tidy sum since I have been here. All because I wanted to take her to a good medical center and not some crap medical centers that are run over here.That's $40.00 each time and yes I do get some back from medicare, then on top of that its prescription costs. Not the standard 6.00 pound odd or whatever back in the UK. Her asthama medicine came to over $100 in one hit excluding the cost of repeats on her puffers. Still can't really put a price on good health can you. Swings and roundabouts in each country !

Not everyone can afford to come here on holiday willy nilly and to go back to the Uk remember the exchange rate !!..all adds up doesn't it.

I have been lucky to have my mum and best mate out here once and no way will my other mates with kids come out until their children are at an age when they can appreciate the trip.

Jeremy, I am not putting a kybosh on things that you have said just speaking my views and experiences. I am sure many of us have asked ourselves the questions you have asked Claire.

All the best

Pants

Old May 2nd 2004, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

My Mum has been out. Unfortunatly my sister has 4 kids so the costs are well above what she can pay!
We came out because we wanted to move of the estate life and decided that we ought to try something completly new whilst it was availiable to us... My mother in law died v. young the other year and it makes you think about doing these strange things..

I do enjoy certain aspects of Australia and some things will be hard to say goodbye to. Apart from the lack of curtious drivers

I am sure that we will have a better idea when we get back from the UK. Love to be back, or want out!! Then we will have the dilema of how long to leave it... AAUUGGHHH
Old May 3rd 2004, 1:41 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: to go or to stay

Originally posted by JAJ

1. You need to spend 3-4 years or so in Australia before you can really claim to have *tried* it.

Jeremy
I think if you aren't happy somewhere, why torture yourself and stay somewhere you never feel is home? I know I couldn't do it anyway.

I feel as 'Pants' said, it's not a question of disliking Australia/Perth, it's the realisation of being thousands of miles away from everyone and everything you have ever known.

I don't dislike the country it just doesn't suit me.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Pubs aswell although I am going to drag out some of the local girls to see if I can turn them into nutters like my mates were..
do i consitutue "local" to you in the mountains
You don't need to try to hard with me do ya???
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by hevs
do i consitutue "local" to you in the mountains
You don't need to try to hard with me do ya???

Hev's

I found an aussie that want's to move to the UK for the pub culture. Maybe we can bring a bit over here for her!! she is tearing her hair out with kids and bordom and her hubby loves the idea of getting smashed in 6 differant pubs then trying to explain to the bloody taxi driver where you want to go when you mouth won't work... at least Sassafras you can say when P****d

As for turning you into a nutter I think that you already have your degree in that course
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:01 pm
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future

RE: Kids .... as i have said in previous posts, i came here when i was 14, and so didnt really have a choice of whether i wanted to come to Australia, but i wouldn't have stayed in the U.K with my mum here anyway.

But my point is school in Australia is very dissapointing, and the other school attendee's where awful towards me and my british accent etc.

Needless to say the teachers also treated me with less respect than that of ozzie kids and so i quit mid year 12. They weren't helping me and so i said stuff them.

I mean school here is a hell of a lot different to what it was/is? is the U.K

So i guess as you said the best thing to do would be to ask your kids what they want, and i have to say Australia is good for a holiday but i as mum does, wants to get out and go home to good old dark and dreary england.
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hev's

I found an aussie that want's to move to the UK for the pub culture. Maybe we can bring a bit over here for her!! she is tearing her hair out with kids and bordom and her hubby loves the idea of getting smashed in 6 differant pubs then trying to explain to the bloody taxi driver where you want to go when you mouth won't work... at least Sassafras you can say when P****d

As for turning you into a nutter I think that you already have your degree in that course
I struggle saying Sassafras when sober
I had to pay an extra tenner to the taxi driver when my friend chucked up in his, we were only 18 at the time

Clare, you have a spare room dontcha?
Lets go buy one of those really tacky bars from "country living" Stock it, beer mats, sticky floor, fag smoke. We're laughing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.