Glastonbury anyone?

Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:54 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glastonbury anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has experience of time in Glastonbury... either as a resident or visitor?

If so, have you also been to the Chalice Well?

It (and the area) looks like somewhere worth at least a visit when I eventually get back to the UK.

All observations welcome please.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glastonbury anyone?

Sorry I cannot help you with your questions about Glastonbury...but the lovely people who post in our Moving Back To The UK Forums may be able to help you. I have therefore moved your thread over to the MBTTUK Forum.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Glastonbury 1995 ... Happy Days ... I can't remember most of it though
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I was last in Glastonbury in (probably) 1970 but again, I remember getting there but don't remember much about leaving. Desmond Dekker's Israelites is playing over and over in my mind though.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Just wondering if anyone has experience of time in Glastonbury... either as a resident or visitor?

It (and the area) looks like somewhere worth at least a visit when I eventually get back to the UK.

Definitely worth a visit
Go and have a walk round the Abbey ruins, and if you have time climb the Tor as well - very spiritual place, if you are into that kind of thing. Same with the town itself - if you are at all interested in the mystical side of life, you will find enough shops to empty your wallet several times over.

I was born within sight of the Tor, lived there for my first 5 years and still feel a pull to the place - lovely part of the world
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Glastonbury is a lovely area (I come from Wells, about 6miles away), lots to see and do in the town, summer can be a bit hippy centric but it's not an issue. If you're in a shopping mood there is Clark's Village in Street, 2 miles up the road.

Wells is worth a visit, with the Cathedral, Moat and Bishop's Palace (and you can work ouit where all scenes were filmed in 'Hot Fuzz' ).

Some great villages around with loads of B&Bs, depending on long you are staying. Depending where you're coming from you can put a good itenary together from Stone Henge to Bath to Glastonbury and head down to the coast (Dorchester and Beer are two of my favourites )
Old Sep 8th 2012, 6:11 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Glastonbury is a lovely area (I come from Wells, about 6miles away), lots to see and do in the town, summer can be a bit hippy centric but it's not an issue. If you're in a shopping mood there is Clark's Village in Street, 2 miles up the road.

Wells is worth a visit, with the Cathedral, Moat and Bishop's Palace (and you can work ouit where all scenes were filmed in 'Hot Fuzz' ).

Some great villages around with loads of B&Bs, depending on long you are staying. Depending where you're coming from you can put a good itenary together from Stone Henge to Bath to Glastonbury and head down to the coast (Dorchester and Beer are two of my favourites )
I grew up in Wells too!
My Granny's house was seen in Hot Fuzz

OP: Definitely worth a visit to the area:
Wells cathedral, Bishops palace and moat
Lovely woods
Wookey hole caves and mill
The mendip hills
Cheddar Gorge
Glastonbury Tor and lots of great shops selling candles, books etc
In October - the Illuminated carnivals which are fab

Then head down here to the Dorset coast, the countryside is much nicer in Dorset - more picturesque
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Kapri, you're making a Somerset lad homesick
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissybee

I have relatives who live right in the centre so know it fairly well.
Lovely place, I could happily live there. The new age shops can get a bit overwhelming if you're not into that sort of thing!! :lol It's a great place to just sit and people watch!
The Chalice Well is beautiful, so many parts of the gardens to explore and so peaceful. You can get a season ticket and pop in all year round.
The Tor will get you fit if you climb it regularly!
The Abbey is lovely too, again, I've seen it in all seasons and never tire of it.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I grew up in Wells too!
My Granny's house was seen in Hot Fuzz

OP: Definitely worth a visit to the area:
Wells cathedral, Bishops palace and moat
Lovely woods
Wookey hole caves and mill
The mendip hills
Cheddar Gorge
Glastonbury Tor and lots of great shops selling candles, books etc
In October - the Illuminated carnivals which are fab

Then head down here to the Dorset coast, the countryside is much nicer in Dorset - more picturesque
hehe, we probably know each other I was in a carnival club for 3 yrs back in the 80s (they are held in Nov btw).
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Glastonbury is a beautiful place, as are many of the towns and villages in the area. Nicholas Cage just bought a house there so it must be doing something right.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:47 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
hehe, we probably know each other I was in a carnival club for 3 yrs back in the 80s (they are held in Nov btw).
I love the Illuminated carnivals. They are a great childhood memory for me and I take my own kids to them now even though we live in Dorset, not Somerset
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kapri
I love the Illuminated carnivals. They are a great childhood memory for me and I take my own kids to them now even though we live in Dorset, not Somerset
They really are something else. Sadly some of the big clubs are scaling back now due to insurance requirements and road furniture making it very hard for the floats to get around. I shudder when i think about what we got away with in the80s moving those things around!

Doesn't Dorset have its own circuit now?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:36 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I was last in Glastonbury in (probably) 1970 but again, I remember getting there but don't remember much about leaving. Desmond Dekker's Israelites is playing over and over in my mind though.
Yep, when you say Glastonbury, new age and out door rock concerts come to mind.

Here's a nice property in Glastonbury........maybe needs a lick of neutral coloured paint

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35770096.html
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:13 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Saw him in the Swan in Fulham about 1987. A truly excellent evening.