giving birth in uk

Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Mrs_to_Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default giving birth in uk

I am a singaporean and married to a british expat currently working in singapore. I am pregnant at the moment. My husband is planning for us to have our baby born in uk. What are the benefits for having children in uk?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: giving birth in uk

I'm in US here it costs an arm and a leg, in UK it's all covered.
Plus they use a lot of midwives (I'd have loved that)
they also do home visits after care once you are home.
I'm sure theres loads more.

Whats the care like in Singapore? Do you need private insurance to cover the birth.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm in US here it costs an arm and a leg, in UK it's all covered.
Plus they use a lot of midwives (I'd have loved that)
they also do home visits after care once you are home.
I'm sure theres loads more.

Whats the care like in Singapore? Do you need private insurance to cover the birth.
The funny thing about singapore is the only benefit you will get is only after you give birth . They called it the baby bonus. The govt will match dollar to dollar for every amount you save for your newborn. Maximum savings is 6k which half of it is your own savings. They will increase the amount for every thrid and fourth child. Plus they will reimburse portion of your hospital bill during labour. And four months paid leave for working mums. The thing is my husband is not working in uk and our marriage is not registered in uk.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just clarify? Are you moving to the UK? You said your husband wouldn't be working there, if so, I don't quite understand why you are going over Is it just to have the baby?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Can I just clarify? Are you moving to the UK? You said your husband wouldn't be working there, if so, I don't quite understand why you are going over Is it just to have the baby?
Unless if he receive an immediate job offer from uk, we wont be moving to uk till few years later. i Just want to know what are the possible benefits available.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:36 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Although your husband is British and you are married to him, you can't just come into the UK with him. If you don't have a UK (or other EU) passport you need a spouse visa.

And if your husband hasn't got a job in the UK lined up, getting you a spouse visa may be difficult (he has to prove that he can financially support himself and you and the baby when it's born without recourse to public funds).

It doesn't matter that the marriage isn't registered in the UK.

But, like I said, in order for you to get a spouse visa to get into the UK, you and your husband need to meet a number of criteria. All info is here:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swivespartners

A good summary of all the criteria and what documentation you need to meet the criteria is here:
http://www.lawfirmuk.net/english/spouse.htm

Gina
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think anyone can give you an easy answer to this question are there are too many variables such as your residency status, how long either of you has contributed, whether working or not and the nature of the benefit. I think this is one of the most complicated areas of the benefits systems especially as many of the benefits are 'in kind' ie not monetry. Here is a list of possible benefits, off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others, but I would imagine that you eligability for many, if not all, of them is fairly limited.

- Statutory maternity pay
- maternity leave
- paternity leave
- free health care
- free maternal dental care
- income support
- working families tax credit
- housing benefit
- council tax benefit
- free baby milk
- free school dinners
- child benefit
- hospital transport costs
- free nursery place

And I'm sure a whole lot more.

(Now that I think about it, it makes me realise just how lucky I was. To be British, living in Britain when my daughter was born. We so take it all for granted.)
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to check that you would be entitled to free medical care in UK - there are some regulations that you have to be ordinarily resident in UK, I think, before you can access the NHS. They were certainly talking about cracking down on health tourists and I thought they had put something into place.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs_to_Mummy
I am a singaporean and married to a british expat currently working in singapore. I am pregnant at the moment. My husband is planning for us to have our baby born in uk. What are the benefits for having children in uk?
I hope your husband is also planning to pay for this too. Unlerss, of course, you wish to obtain NHS services that you almost certainly are not eligible for.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs_to_Mummy
Was your husband born in the U.K.?

What's the plan for travelling to the U.K. months ahead of the birth? (you can't fly just before baby is due).

Most benefits in the U.K. would require you to be resident there anyway, not just visiting.

And do you want your child to be a Singapore citizen - or not?