Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Give me school uniform. talking as a parent

Give me school uniform. talking as a parent

Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future
Default Give me school uniform. talking as a parent

It was simple then, you just waited for hours in the queue with your pink ticket at Clarks or wherever, and waited and after a long period of time, shoes were bought. I know, many tantrums later and in retrospect I should never have taken my husband to see the cost but we live and learn. Next would be good old M&S for blouses, skirts, pretty checked dresses and obligatory white socks, knee length of course. A trip to finish off the day to WH Smith to buy pencil cases,etc,etc. Smugly I would sit back looking at our purchases at what a great job!!? Oh bugger, I always forgot the PE kit, nevermind do it tomorrow! Smugly sitting back again, knowing they are all ready to go back and as a friend of mine said in terms of school uniform "one on them, one in the wash and one to be ironed" done. Job's a good un

In the US looking for shoes, nightmare. Uggs really aren't necessary at this time of year and we do have a month or two of good weather left, wear your flip-flops. Whilst I'm on footwear, tell me why Target is not good enough for trainers to wear on Gym Day? Every morning at least two outfits are discarded before the assembled fashion statements appear. I know this because even though I'm half asleep, I notice, but at that time in the morning, go to school and don't be late! This rule in the school's book made me laugh! ".......showing front or back cleavage is not acceptable)

Maybe I'm just missing tradition and them being younger but in my defense they both said they miss the uniform!!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:06 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Give me school uniform. talking as a parent

We didn't have uniforms but I was so lazy and indifferent I basically wore the same thing every day. When I got to law school I actually did wear the same thing every day more or less. I bought 4 identical sweatshirts, 6 pairs of khakis and basically wore them every day too. People started to wonder if I did laundry every night because I always looked the same.

But hey, I own 36 pairs of identical socks simply because I hate matching them up after washing, so I'm not exactly normal.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that upset me the most about my kids starting school here was I would never see my son in the uniform with "room to grow" on his first day of school. My parents sent my daughter some money once and told her to buy some "best" clothes not school ones! I had to break it too them, they wear their "best" outfits to school here. Thankfully once my daughter was past the tween years she stopped being quite so label crazy and doesn't really mind where it comes from if she likes it. Except shoes, or should I say vans slip ons, thankfully her feet have stopped growing, she has quite the collection. She stunned me this year by saying she only wanted one new pair for school because she already had so many!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

The 'room to grow' is very funny. How many of us have pictures as 5 year olds proudly in our parents homes for all the world to see in our oversized clothes. Perhaps there is somewhere to go on this non uniform bit...........
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of school do have uniforms. It's actually starting to become more widespread and not just with the private schools. You can always just buy some if you feel the need! http://www.campusoutfitters.com/
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:04 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
A lot of school do have uniforms. It's actually starting to become more widespread and not just with the private schools. You can always just buy some if you feel the need! http://www.campusoutfitters.com/
They got 'em a lot of schools in Savannah-AND the see thru backpacks.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the schools in the county I grew up in went uniform a year or so after I graduated from high school, which was about 12 years ago. It consists of khaki/navy/black pants and white/navy/black top - polo shirts for the most part. I think shoes can still be whatever the parents want.

I'm not completely sold on uniforms, but I see the positives to them.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This thread could bring back some terrific memories ..
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:45 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray for school uniforms! More properly, hooray for hot chicks in school uniforms! Even to this day I have a fetish for girls in blue or black tights with white socks over them...

It was nice to take that stuff off at the end of the day. That process clearly demarcated the day for me: it was evening, time to put on the comfortable clothes and relax. Watch Wogan. Nationwide, whatever.

When I was younger, my trousers frequently had holes in the knees, patched by mum.
I used to like "drainpipe" styles and but somehow my mum would always get me "flares"... rolls eyes.

Do you remember having your name-tags stitched into your PE kit? And those blue parkas, orange inners, and faux fur hoods? Duffel coats? Harrington jackets and bomber jackets?

I used to wear shoes but my all-time favorites were blue Hi-Tec trainers with the grey chunky soles. Remember them?

Last edited by Octang Frye; Sep 12th 2008 at 7:15 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Part of my grammar school uniform was thick, navy, fleecy knickers with a pocket in them.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:13 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Part of my grammar school uniform was thick, navy, fleecy knickers with a pocket in them.
This thread is useless without pictures...
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
This thread is useless without pictures...
Ok then ... This is for the Mothers ..to wear ..

Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:29 pm
Peace onion

Wow, JG is hot. I assume she's the one on the left.

Please be the one on the left.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:32 pm
Peace onion

Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:36 pm
Peace onion

I just noticed I have 45,000 karma points. What does that mean? Can I cash them in like air-miles?

If someone sends you karma, are you meant to reciprocate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.