Friends leave NZ for UK

Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Friends leave NZ for UK

I just thought I'd share this with you.

We have been in NZ for 9 months. 6 months ago we became friends with another UK family who had just arrived. I worked with the wife. Our kids got on great, hubbies found a like minded mate to have a pint with. We sounded so alike as to why we had left the UK and what we hoped to achieve for ourselves and our kids in NZ. We acted as towers of strenghths to each other during our first christmas away from home. We understood the sort of things we each missed.

Then 3 weeks ago, they decided to go "home" !!! In 3 days they had booked flights and started the ball rolling to return. They returned last week. I can not begin to tell you how sad and unsettled it made me feel. I could not believe I had missed seeing their pain at missing home and family so much. They said they'd give NZ a year when they arrived, but once they realised it wasn't "Home" they decided to leave.

We'll all miss them greatly, but there is a point to this. They thought that because NZ is English speaking, it would be like England. Until they flew to Auckland, they had never been abroad before. They missed the familiarity of UK supermarkets, shops and UK products {having family send over Walkers crisps and Cadurys chocolate}. We have tried to integrate as much as possible, buying and eating kiwi produce. We love the "challenge" of shopping abroad {we've travelled/holidayed all over the globe}. We'll miss them, but know it was the right decision for them, even if we can't quite understand their reasons, {"NZ is further away than we thought" !!!}.

Gill, thank goodness I have "the Stuart Littles" to keep me busy.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This post might be useful on the 'Australia and New Zealand' forum as a warning to people to do their homework and as a reminder of what the reality of migration is all about.
I am sure your friends were not alone in thinking that New Zealand and Australia are just like UK but with better weather.

G
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:03 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gill and Rob. I am sure your friends will be happy at home. It's not easy and it's not for everyone is it.!!

All the best for you guys

Pants
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:46 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Friends leave NZ for UK

Originally posted by Gill and Rob

We have been in NZ for 9 months. 6 months ago we became friends with another UK family who had just arrived. I worked with the wife. Our kids got on great, hubbies found a like minded mate to have a pint with. We sounded so alike as to why we had left the UK and what we hoped to achieve for ourselves and our kids in NZ. We acted as towers of strenghths to each other during our first christmas away from home. We understood the sort of things we each missed.

Then 3 weeks ago, they decided to go "home" !!! In 3 days they had booked flights and started the ball rolling to return. They returned last week. I can not begin to tell you how sad and unsettled it made me feel. I could not believe I had missed seeing their pain at missing home and family so much. They said they'd give NZ a year when they arrived, but once they realised it wasn't "Home" they decided to leave.

We'll all miss them greatly, but there is a point to this. They thought that because NZ is English speaking, it would be like England. Until they flew to Auckland, they had never been abroad before. They missed the familiarity of UK supermarkets, shops and UK products {having family send over Walkers crisps and Cadurys chocolate}. We have tried to integrate as much as possible, buying and eating kiwi produce. We love the "challenge" of shopping abroad {we've travelled/holidayed all over the globe}. We'll miss them, but know it was the right decision for them, even if we can't quite understand their reasons, {"NZ is further away than we thought" !!!}.

I also became friendly with a family that I had been emaily for approx a year before we came to Perth. We arrived first and they came in June last year. We got on really well but they too decided to return. They are now enjoying life back in the UK and we remain firm friends.

They had visited three times previously to Perth. No amount of planning and holidays can actually prepare you for the 'real living' here.

One of the first hings my hubbys aunt said when we arrived was that we would meet lots of people, but also see lots go back to the UK, how true this is.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gill and Rob,

Know how you are feeling, same thing happened to me many moons ago, you feel very sad to see them leave, but look on the bright side, they can always come and stay with you for a holiday
and you can visit them perhaps.

I must admit, no one ever know how they are going to except another country, especially one so far from home.
keep smiling
Irish Guinness.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Guocera is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Friends leave NZ for UK

Originally posted by Gill and Rob

Good luck to you and yours - I hope your new life is all you dreamed of! You seem really happy!

It is sad when things don't work out but at least they gave it a go and will be happy in their hear of hearts and not be left wondering what if. Myhusband, myself and my "Stuart littles" are currenty reading all we can on moving to Australia and I think what you have written is great! You can easily be swept away on the dream of the perfect life, when reality is much different! You have made myself and I am sure others stand back from the situation and think yeh, if you do decide to go, you have to learn a new culture and change accordingly - If you want the UK you stay in the UK I guess!

Good luck to you and yours - I hope your new life is all you dreamed of! You seem really happy!

Last edited by Guocera; May 19th 2004 at 8:20 am.