Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Foreign born baby to British parents (couldn't find answer in archives)

Foreign born baby to British parents (couldn't find answer in archives)

Old May 23rd 2011, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

LondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really nice
Question Foreign born baby to British parents (couldn't find answer in archives)

Hi All,

Tried to find the answer to this specific question by searching in archives first. It might exist so if it does, maybe someone can let me know the link, or if not, I'm sure it's a quick answer...

*Wife & I are British citizens.
*Living in the USA (but might move back to the UK in the future).
*Baby #2 born last September here in the US.
*Baby has full US birth certificate and we just got his US passport too.

We are heading back to England for a visit very soon. We want to register his birth with the powers that be in the UK so he has British Citizen rights/birth (not quite sure what you would call it if a child is born in the USA to British parents).

We also want to get him his British passport while in the UK.

I looked on the UK Gov website and it says you can register the birth with the local consulate of the country you are in. However, we would like to do this all while we are in the UK.

I think we can make an appointment with the UK passport office in Central London for his passport application, but I was not sure where we would go for the registration of his birth while back in the UK (as it has been over 6 months since he was born)?

Can anyone shed any light on where we would go for this, and am I also right to presume that it doesn't really matter if we apply for his passport first (with all supporting documentation) and then do the birth registration after.

Cheers,

Ollie
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Foreign born baby to British parents (couldn't find answer in archives)

I dont think you can register his birth in the UK. Births can only be registered in the district they take place and must be done within a few weeks of the birth.
For instance http://liverpool.gov.uk/births-marri...ister-a-birth/

But if you are both British born Citizens you can just go ahead and get a passport for him using his American Birth Certificate and supporting info, no need to register the birth with the UK authorities.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign born baby to British parents (couldn't find answer in archives)

Originally Posted by Shellyj
I dont think you can register his birth in the UK. Births can only be registered in the district they take place and must be done within a few weeks of the birth.
Consular birth registration is available.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...rriages-civil/
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonOllie
Hi All,

Tried to find the answer to this specific question by searching in archives first. It might exist so if it does, maybe someone can let me know the link, or if not, I'm sure it's a quick answer...

*Wife & I are British citizens.
*Living in the USA (but might move back to the UK in the future).
*Baby #2 born last September here in the US.
*Baby has full US birth certificate and we just got his US passport too.
You haven't told us where you were born ... both parents being British citizens is NOT enough - one of you has to be born or naturalised in the United Kingdom, normally.

If your child is British, you can prove it with a consular birth registration:

British passport can either be obtained from the Embassy in Washington DC or the Passport Office in Britain, if you are visiting.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

LondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really nice

Both born in England, so no problem there. I wanted to get this done while we were home as doing it in the USA is more expensive from what I can gather.

Originally Posted by JAJ
You haven't told us where you were born ... both parents being British citizens is NOT enough - one of you has to be born or naturalised in the United Kingdom, normally.

If your child is British, you can prove it with a consular birth registration:

British passport can either be obtained from the Embassy in Washington DC or the Passport Office in Britain, if you are visiting.