Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flying/shipping a few boxes back to UK from Aus

Flying/shipping a few boxes back to UK from Aus

Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold
Default Flying/shipping a few boxes back to UK from Aus

Hi all

Having made the decision that Aus isn't for us, we're looking to head back to England in July.

I'm now trying to organise flying or shipping just a few boxes of toys, books, TV, computer and bikes back to the UK. We came for a 12 month 'reccie', so rented our house out fully furnished, and left the cars with relatives. We got rid of most of the kid's toys, and replaced them here with new ones. I can't believe how many toys we've accumulated in just 7 months, and my boys won't part with them!

Does anyone have any advice/info on airfreight, shipping, good companies to use, prices and timescales? I'm aware that it might be more cost effective to just replace everything again in the UK, but if I can send it all back cheaply then it'll be worth it.

I'm going to start ringing around next week, but if anyone has any useful info I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

jadenblu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flying/shipping a few boxes back to UK from Aus

We're in a similar situation, only have about three boxes (mainly my husband's CDs which he won't part with either) to ship back. We're looking at using Jetta which I read recommendations for on here and other forums. It is about $6.50 per kilo by air (this is from Sydney though) and they will collect at your Aus door but you have to collect and clear the boxes through customs at Heathrow yourself.

The other option for us is flying with BA. They allow you to pre-book excess luggage (up to 10 suitcases) on your flight for £72 per case from memory, works out at $7 per kilo. Not sure about checking in things like the bikes, but could be a good option for smaller things like the toys so the boys wouldn't be parted with them. Would depend on flight prices for me though as BA are usually significantly more than Singapore Airlines (my fave) and other Asian carriers.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jadenblu
We're in a similar situation, only have about three boxes (mainly my husband's CDs which he won't part with either) to ship back. We're looking at using Jetta which I read recommendations for on here and other forums. It is about $6.50 per kilo by air (this is from Sydney though) and they will collect at your Aus door but you have to collect and clear the boxes through customs at Heathrow yourself.

The other option for us is flying with BA. They allow you to pre-book excess luggage (up to 10 suitcases) on your flight for £72 per case from memory, works out at $7 per kilo. Not sure about checking in things like the bikes, but could be a good option for smaller things like the toys so the boys wouldn't be parted with them. Would depend on flight prices for me though as BA are usually significantly more than Singapore Airlines (my fave) and other Asian carriers.

Hope that helps.
Great, thanks for the info! I'm flying with Emirates, but I haven't checked their rates yet. Thought we might take our TV back as well now, so we might need to look at shipping as well.

Cheers!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

jadenblu is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure Emirates do the standard (i.e. ridiculous) excess baggage rate. I was surprised to see how generous BA was after years of flying the Asian carriers who are wonderful with service but stingy with baggage allowances!

You might want to compare the cost of rebuying your TV to shipping it. I was really surprised at how cheap they've gotten in the UK. We're not taking anything electrical but I seem to remember something on customs about electrical items due to new regulations, so you may also want to look into that.