Floods in UK

Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Floods in UK

Over the last few weeks quite a few people have been affected by them. I flew over Worcester a few weeks back and saw quite abit of it under water. I felt sorry for those who lived in the houses. Today my partner was coming up from the South Coast and everywhere he was going seemed to have problems. In fact he was meant to fly out to Spain and didn't make it to the airport.

Has anyone's family or friends been affected at all?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floods in UK

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Over the last few weeks quite a few people have been affected by them. I flew over Worcester a few weeks back and saw quite abit of it under water. I felt sorry for those who lived in the houses. Today my partner was coming up from the South Coast and everywhere he was going seemed to have problems. In fact he was meant to fly out to Spain and didn't make it to the airport.

yep waiting for my mum to arrive home shes been delayed by the floods, not bad really really feel for those who have been flooded out...poor souls.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes

i talked to three friends in surrey today and they were all ok and no probs on the roads in and around their areas although they all said they had quite a bit of rain however not as bad as here! this morning we had rainfall equalling 1 inch every 30 mins i've been back from blighty 11 days and it's rained hard and heavy every day...big flood probs also for some folks here..quite bizarre weather all over the world
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

My lot in London and Surrey are all fine. Meanwhile here in Mass we're way under our quota of summer rain. It's so bad the summer pastures are all brown and we're having to hay the fields so the horses can eat.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Some of my family have felt the effects.

A cousin in Tenburywells is stuck. Her house is not flooded (yet) but the bridge is closed.

OH's grandmother at Highly has had the local railway lines slipped away. The force of the water must have been tremendous.

Sister in Bewdley has stocked up on food and is waiting it out.

Friends and relations from Cleobury Mortimer and Far Forest got caught out trying to get home , when the road by the Safari Park flooded.

My Dad in Netherton hasn't had flooding but a tornado ripped the roof of his works.

Here in NZ we too have suffered tornado's. New Plymouth had three!!! My seventeen year old bearly missed one. It wrecked the house next door to him.

Lets hope things settle soon. Best wishes for all those effected.XX
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Not personally...but one of our customer's grandson got stranded on a school trip and spent the night in a leisure centre. I am just glad we live in the hills were we are seldom affected by flooding.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:46 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

No problems for us personally but all the crops in the fields around us look like they've been badly affected so think the farmers will be pretty gutted.

It's awful to see the images on TV - people's houses and businesses flooded out and roads turned into rivers. Apparently there is more rain to come next week too

I was reading in the paper today about a bride and groom who took refuge in an old folks home with all their guests as they couldn't get to the reception just six miles away.

It's got to be one of the worst summers on record surely.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:53 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=LouiseD;5090822]No problems for us personally but all the crops in the fields around us look like they've been badly affected so think the farmers will be pretty gutted.

It's awful to see the images on TV - people's houses and businesses flooded out and roads turned into rivers. Apparently there is more rain to come next week too

I was reading in the paper today about a bride and groom who took refuge in an old folks home with all their guests as they couldn't get to the reception just six miles away.

It's got to be one of the worst summers on record surely.[/QUOTE]

And there is still more to come
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

My partner was driving up from the South to the Midlands and what would have taken him 3 hours took him 11. He missed his flight, so we changed it online an hour before he was meant to take off. He was in a 4x4. I have a house that I rent out to an elderly lady in the midlands and the water got into her lounge. My family couldn't get to her, so the police went instead along with the firebrigade and she will have to spend a few weeks with relatives until the damage can be sorted. Just down the road from my parents people were sleeping in their cars. They live on a hill so are okay, but you never know with landslides or anything, it is something I have to be careful here in Spain as a big chunk of my garden disappeared last year in the rain. Crazy, when you think there is drought in many places and people are drowning in others.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:04 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters and their families live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and the floods there have been terrible. My elder daughter e-mailed to let us know that where we used to live they were taking people out on dingies and putting them up in the local sports hall!!! The cost so far is estimated at 9 million pounds. I didn't know the whole place was worth 9 million quid
My younger daughter was unable to get to work for 2 weeks as the place where she worked was down in a small valley and cut off!!
Our local church has had terrible damage and quite a few elderly people have had a bad time with a couple of fatalities and up to yesterday arvo it was still bloody raining!!!!!
And here are we in sunny QLD absolutely desperate for a drop of the wet stuff.............with none in sight.

I am very gratefull that my girls have escaped unscathed appart from a couple of weeks off work but there are some poor buggers that are doing it really tough in Blighty at the moment.

Loz x
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:32 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillergirl
Here in NZ we too have suffered tornado's. New Plymouth had three!!! My seventeen year old bearly missed one. It wrecked the house next door to him.

Lets hope things settle soon. Best wishes for all those effected.XX
My mum in East Anglia is faring okay, as she lives on somewhat high ground. I feel so bad for those poor people who've been seriously affected.

Here in SW Florida, we had a tornado warning on Saturday. Shat myself. A funnel cloud was seen just up the road from where I work. I was also woken up by a storm at 4am this morning. Didn't get a wink of sleep after that. Hate these bloody storms, they're so scary.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
My mum in East Anglia is faring okay, as she lives on somewhat high ground. I feel so bad for those poor people who've been seriously affected.

Here in SW Florida, we had a tornado warning on Saturday. Shat myself. A funnel cloud was seen just up the road from where I work. I was also woken up by a storm at 4am this morning. Didn't get a wink of sleep after that. Hate these bloody storms, they're so scary.
Glad to hear everyone is ok.

It certainly fuels the fire to return!!

We are about to book our tickets for the 10th of September. Yessssssssss

Good luck with your return. I'm packing a rubber dingy in my case.LOL
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

magicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nice

weathers actually been quite good here, the bad stuff usually misses us at the last minute, weve got this theory that theres a freak air flow around cornwall that diverts the crappy weather up north
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:51 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magicsprout
weathers actually been quite good here, the bad stuff usually misses us at the last minute, weve got this theory that theres a freak air flow around cornwall that diverts the crappy weather up north
So that's where it's coming from then

Wish I lived in Cornwall - beautiful
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tisme will become famous soon enough

Sending lots thoughts to those affected in these floods. It's truly awful.

Hull suffered from flooding a month back and members of my family suffered.
They couldn't get out unless they agreed to be evacuated and we couldn't get to them. Including my 93yr old Grandma.
Our street wasn't affected at all - not one jot. Looking outside and it just looked like a heavy rainfall. However, two streets away in five directions were all affected and I felt like what I was seeing on the news was unreal. I was in a dry bubble. Very, very strange, but very lucky.