Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It has Begun :-) (The Move that is)

It has Begun :-) (The Move that is)

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It has Begun :-) (The Move that is)

Well, we have finally started getting rid of some os the major stuff in the house, starting with our pool table. I guess we are starting our slow and painful move process which hopefully will end in coming spring.

Finances:

We are taking a different approach to our finances and I am wondering if you guys believe it is good or not.

We made a list of all the items we will need in UK and estimated their cost. Then we priortized them according to what is a must have right away, what we can live without for 3-6 months and what is a delayed expense. As we sell our household items here, we mark items off of our UK list for immidiate stuff. We are hoping that after all said and done, we should have the immidiate and 2-6 month lists covered without dipping into our savings. I am estimating for 4 months worth of rent/mortgage and food. I am hoping to be able to find some type of job within this time and start bringing in some money.

Any comments, right approach or wrong?

Also, does anyone know of any good sites where I can get decent recommendations on UK appliances?

Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It has Begun :-) (The Move that is)

That's pretty much my plan. I'm planning on saving for a 4-5 month period by taking a second job here and am being ruthless with what I will and won't take back.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

I'm taking most of my furniture cos it's still relatively new but getting rid of the dining room table cos I know the house's are rather small in the UK and I won't be able to fit it in. I would rather not have the hassle of running around trying to buy new furniture. First thing we are going to buy though is a car, reckon we'll need one to go house & job hunting. If we find the right house I'm willing to pay 6 months upfront to secure the house cos obviously we won't have any sort of credit history.

Good luck on the move.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shivster
That's pretty much my plan. I'm planning on saving for a 4-5 month period by taking a second job here and am being ruthless with what I will and won't take back.
Originally Posted by Donna Allan
I'm taking most of my furniture cos it's still relatively new but getting rid of the dining room table cos I know the house's are rather small in the UK and I won't be able to fit it in. I would rather not have the hassle of running around trying to buy new furniture. First thing we are going to buy though is a car, reckon we'll need one to go house & job hunting. If we find the right house I'm willing to pay 6 months upfront to secure the house cos obviously we won't have any sort of credit history.

Good luck on the move.
Thanks guys. Like Shivster, I am also being extremely picky with what we take. Last time we went there, I took a 20' container and took everything. Over there we found that out mattresses (from US) are different sizes than the bed frames there, etc etc. This time around, I am hoping to take booked luggage on the place and perhaps 1-2 pallet's worth of stuff.

As for getting a car, I am extremely lucky in that case. My in-laws are in the car business in London so they have already found me a 2002 Merc E220 that fits perfectly in my budget. Yes I know I am spoiled. hehe.

We have a flat in London but we will probably look for a house instead and may sell that two bedroom flat. I think in my last months here in the US, I will start my house search and perhaps get one lined up before we get there with the help of relatives.