Flights to UK

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

pickups85 will become famous soon enough
Default Flights to UK

I want to take my son over to Scotland next year to meet the family, i'd like to go June 18th for 2 weeks. I have scoured the internet for flights and can't find anything for less than $1200.00 per person. It was never that expensive before even in June through August. Does anyone have any ideas as to where or how i can get cheaper flights? I don't care which part of the UK i fly to as its easy to rent a car and drive or hop on a train.

I am a frequent flyer with Delta but don't think i'll have enough miles to use for an international flight
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights to UK

Originally Posted by pickups85
I want to take my son over to Scotland next year to meet the family, i'd like to go June 18th for 2 weeks. I have scoured the internet for flights and can't find anything for less than $1200.00 per person. It was never that expensive before even in June through August. Does anyone have any ideas as to where or how i can get cheaper flights? I don't care which part of the UK i fly to as its easy to rent a car and drive or hop on a train.

I am a frequent flyer with Delta but don't think i'll have enough miles to use for an international flight
We had the same problem flying from Memphis. We discovered we could shave about $800.00 from our combined fares next week-end simply by driving to Nashville to fly from there. The same was true when we flew from Little Rock, AR last year. What we saved on air fares for each trip more than paid for the long-term parking, fuel, and our hotels in England! You might try checking to see if there are flights from other cities (Nashville is about 3 hrs from us - Little Rock about 2.5 hrs.) that you could drive to and return from fairly easily.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
We had the same problem flying from Memphis. We discovered we could shave about $800.00 from our combined fares next week-end simply by driving to Nashville to fly from there. The same was true when we flew from Little Rock, AR last year. What we saved on air fares for each trip more than paid for the long-term parking, fuel, and our hotels in England! You might try checking to see if there are flights from other cities (Nashville is about 3 hrs from us - Little Rock about 2.5 hrs.) that you could drive to and return from fairly easily.
Nashville is only 2 1/2 hours from me... which airport are you flying to?

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We always fly from Ottawa, Ontario to LHR... this year all flights seem to be over US$1,000 roundtrip.. meanwhile my daughter & partner just flew Virgin from Boston to LHR and paid about $600 each, roundtrip. So I think the better prices these days are from the bigger hubs that have many flights per day, and competition between several carriers..
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Nashville is only 2 1/2 hours from me... which airport are you flying to?

Thanks!
Heathrow!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as the resident pro, the taxes on US-UK flights are outragous. Also all the airlines upped their fares this summer several times. June is high season flying US to UK, mid May is a bit cheaper.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

looks like the cheapest way to go is JFK to Edinburgh or London. It's just getting to JFK from here without spending as much on travel as i would on a flight to new york. I guess i could either drive and pay parking or rent a car and drive 12 hours...
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

looks like the cheapest way to go is JFK to Edinburgh or London. It's just getting to JFK from here without spending as much on travel as i would on a flight to new york. I guess i could either drive and pay parking or rent a car and drive 12 hours...
Your bigger airports like ATL have decent fares for the southeast, but obvioulsy that's not next door either. Cincy would not be an unreasonable distance to drive to as an international airport.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Speaking as the resident pro, the taxes on US-UK flights are outragous. Also all the airlines upped their fares this summer several times. June is high season flying US to UK, mid May is a bit cheaper.
You're right about the taxes. What we can't figure out is why the air fares from Memphis to LHR via Chicago are $400+ more for each ticket than from Nashville to LHR via Washington Dulles Airport. We usually travel during the "shoulder" season; early spring or late fall, to keep the prices down. We got our tickets for this trip for about $640 each.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We always fly from Ottawa, Ontario to LHR... this year all flights seem to be over US$1,000 roundtrip.. meanwhile my daughter & partner just flew Virgin from Boston to LHR and paid about $600 each, roundtrip. So I think the better prices these days are from the bigger hubs that have many flights per day, and competition between several carriers..
Strange, LHR has some of the highest landing fees out there.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:36 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
You're right about the taxes. What we can't figure out is why the air fares from Memphis to LHR via Chicago are $400+ more for each ticket than from Nashville to LHR via Washington Dulles Airport. We usually travel during the "shoulder" season; early spring or late fall, to keep the prices down. We got our tickets for this trip for about $640 each.
Depends on how big a piece of the pie the airports get........
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've found, that trying to get flights for a reasonable price, back to Scotland, is a hit or a miss and your timing for booking can make a lot of difference. Last year, we paid $750 for my daughter to go back for a visit. We recently booked our flights for Xmas and they worked out at just under $4,000 for 5 of us. Have you been looking at via Heathrow/Gatwick, or direct to Glasgow or Edinburgh with Continental??? We watched the prices for ages and booked through Orbitz when we thought they were at their cheapest. For us, the gamble paid off and they've went back up by about $100 each. I don't have an easy answer for you. Your other consideration would be, if the flights are cheaper going to London than Glasgow, which I'm sure they will be, you could always do a one way hire car and drive up from London, we've done it that way too as the hire car wasn't expensive. Sorry I'm not much help, but good luck with your trip
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Or take the Greyhound bus. You'll see some real American life, for about $200 a person, round trip.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking for flights for late May early June from here. For some reason its cheaper to fly into Heathrow than it is to either Edinburgh or Manchester. Lowest I've found so far is $1,400 with Alaska Airlines / Iceland Air.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.skyscanner.net/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.