Flights to UK

Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:04 am
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights to UK

Just as an aside on the topic ... don't forget that the Olympics are on next year ..so all flights to UK will be heavily booked from all over.. so you might have to bite the bullet and grab what you can! ... or change your timing of the trip.Lots of people will travel and make the UK their extended home for weeks either side of the main event.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I just booked a ticket to Manchester from Cincinnati (thanks Cindy!!) and I noticed the taxes were several hundred $$ higher than the actual fare. This seemed to be the case for all the airlines. I was surprised at how high the fares have risen. My husband flew over to Glasgow in June (during Peak season) and his flight was around $900, but mine for flying in Oct. is almost $1300.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Each ticket price has Gordon Brown's "Environmental Departure Tax" added on which was 40 GBP per ticket, for economy long-haul flights, last time I looked. It's 80 GBP for Business or First Class.

Try looking at flying on Aer Lingus, and then connecting to your local airport, rather than going through London, while the Olympics are going on.

I know for some people, this is not an option.

Jim.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pickups85 View Post
I want to take my son over to Scotland next year to meet the family, i'd like to go June 18th for 2 weeks. I have scoured the internet for flights and can't find anything for less than $1200.00 per person. It was never that expensive before even in June through August. Does anyone have any ideas as to where or how i can get cheaper flights? I don't care which part of the UK i fly to as its easy to rent a car and drive or hop on a train.

I am a frequent flyer with Delta but don't think i'll have enough miles to use for an international flight
I searched on Orbitz and found Aer Lingus at $882 including taxes, from Louisville, KY to Glasgow with two stops, presumably NYC and Dublin. Outbound was June 25th, returning on July 5th.

Hope this helps.

Jim.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Aer Lingus for the first time, last month. I booked the tickets back in March and got a pretty good deal for the three of us. But I had to look outside the box. I mean that I found that good fare departing from Philadelphia, rather than Seattle and was lucky to get good connecting flights from here (Seattle) to Philadelphia. It all worked out in the end, but it meant a lot of extra flights. However, even with those extra flights, I still saved a thousand dollars off of what was being published, at the time.

Anyway, Aer Lingus was pretty good, didn't get us exactly where we were going, but a quick Ryanair flight (and I would only use them ever again for a short hop!) to our final destination and it was all good.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Flights to UK

If anyone needs to fly from Denver, Icelandair is operating a new service beginning May 2012 and they are offering promotional rates. Many people fly to from the UK (inc. regional UK destinations) with Icelandair and often have a free stopover for a day or two in Reykjavik:

http://www.icelandair.us/information...f_from_Denver/

(Icelandair also flies from a number of US and Canadian destinations):

http://www.icelandair.com/

Also the budget airline 'Iceland Express' has flights from London to New York (Newark airport) and some of their fares can be a bargain:

http://www.icelandexpress.com/

I looked at flights from Newark NJ (New York area airport) to London Gatwick on 24th October, returning one week later on 31st October. The roundtrip flights flight EWR-LGW are only US $78 each way. Sadly surcharges bring the price to a grand total of US $601...

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 24th 2011 at 10:08 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to go at that time of year? It's getting close to the most expensive time to fly.
I was looking at fares to Edinburgh yesterday for friends, they were half that price direct from Newark or JFK, flying between Christmas and New Year.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
Came on here to say this. It's great if you have some flexibility around your travel dates as you can select "whole month" or "whole year" to find the cheapest options.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that British Airways now vary the price of the return ticket depending on your outgoing ticket. What is that all about? If I fly out on a Friday then the return ticket prices go up by $40, regardless of which day of the week I return. Some sort of about-arse way of getting people to fly on off-peak days? All it does it take me an extra 10 goes to try to work out the cheapest days to leave and return on.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
I notice that British Airways now vary the price of the return ticket depending on your outgoing ticket. What is that all about? If I fly out on a Friday then the return ticket prices go up by $40, regardless of which day of the week I return. Some sort of about-arse way of getting people to fly on off-peak days? All it does it take me an extra 10 goes to try to work out the cheapest days to leave and return on.
Fri, Sat, Sun are and always have been from the git go more than flying M-Th as far as the base fare. Then you get into availability.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

aren't flights gonna be a lot next year because of the Olympics?

I've worked out it's sometimes better to look on the comparison sites the website of the cheapest airline that they find....sometimes saves you a little.....
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on View Post
aren't flights gonna be a lot next year because of the Olympics?

I've worked out it's sometimes better to look on the comparison sites the website of the cheapest airline that they find....sometimes saves you a little.....
+1, and always better to cut out the middle man in case things go tits up.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
Fri, Sat, Sun are and always have been from the git go more than flying M-Th as far as the base fare. Then you get into availability.
It's not that, it's that I see a return price of $439 and an outgoing price of $429 for the days I want. So I select the outgoing price and suddenly the return price updates to $459. Select a slightly different outgoing day and the return price goes up to $469. So my trip costs an extra $30-40 but the price is moved from the outgoing ticket to the return. Just plain confusing.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:56 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that, it's that I see a return price of $439 and an outgoing price of $429 for the days I want. So I select the outgoing price and suddenly the return price updates to $459. Select a slightly different outgoing day and the return price goes up to $469. So my trip costs an extra $30-40 but the price is moved from the outgoing ticket to the return. Just plain confusing.
I just made a booking with BA this morning. I noticed that the outbound went up after selection but the return also went down for some reason, resulting in the same price overall. It did this repeatedly over a few different searches. It was a bit confusing but ultimately I got a good fare so I'm not complaining.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:19 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Availability plays a role in this but I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean. Could it be one of those fares where it's one price flying say Mon and Wed and a different higher price flying Tu and Thursdays? They do that also occasionally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.