Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Im starting to get jittery now. Am I doing the right thing? The last four days have been particularly bad for me here so I know If I have the strength to go through with it I will be ok.
Good luck with the move back - know what you mean about the doubts.
Hang in there
xxxx
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Its not the end of the world if it turns out that you have made the wrong decision, have a great time with your family and friends , see a bit more of the UK, and you can always come back. Enjoy your last few days and allow yourself to get excited about the big adventure ahead of you
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi
I had this issue as I've an oz passport but my UK one has expired & I wanted a o/w ticket back to UK.
I called the high commission who told me
1. I may not be allowed to exit Oz if I have a o/w ticket to UK with no onward ticket booked to depart UK.
Australian immigration won't care. And the airline? Maybe or maybe not.

2. I would get turned away at UK immigration even if I beg, cry & wave an expired UK passport about, because I'm entering as an Ozzie. The only way round it was to have an onward ticket out of the UK. If not, they would put me on a plane straight back to Oz.
Not true.

Also, if you do have an onward ticket, you are in the UK as a non-brit. You have to renew your UK passport, leave the country as a kiwi/ozzie, then re-enter as a Brit before you are able to work etc.
Also not true.

I was told by someone from BE that you shouldnt be refused entry if you're a brit citizen and turn up even with an expired passport.

However, travelling as an Ozzzie/Kiwi citizen (which you would be if using that passport) could cause issues it seems.

The good news is you can get the forrms needed etc and apply for a UK passport from NZ. It takes 20 working days here in Oz to process & costs $330 Aus.

Hope that helps & is clear

I decided not to risk it and have applied for my UK passport
Having a valid UK passport is strongly recommended. However in an emergency it is acceptable to provide other proof of British citizenship at UK Immigration.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australian immigration won't care. And the airline? Maybe or maybe not.

Not true.

Also not true.

Having a valid UK passport is strongly recommended. However in an emergency it is acceptable to provide other proof of British citizenship at UK Immigration.

Hi JAJ

Yeah I was just reiterating what the high commission told me.
One thing though, they said if you enter the country with an Oz passport, you're considered an Oz citizen & not a Brit & cant work until you have your UK passport renewed & leave the country as an Oz to re-enter as a Brit. You seem to well up with all these questions - just confusing if thats what the high commission said.
PS - What other proof out of interest - birth certificate?

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 9th 2007 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi JAJ

Yeah I was just reiterating what the high commission told me.
One thing though, they said if you enter the country with an Oz passport, you're considered an Oz citizen & not a Brit & cant work until you have your UK passport renewed & leave the country as an Oz to re-enter as a Brit. You seem to well up with all these questions - just confusing if thats what the high commission said.
There are countless examples of shockingly bad advice given out by so-called "helplines". Most of the people answering these phones have not even a fraction of the training required to answer anything other than the simplest questions. Of course it gets worse when instead of saying "I don't know" they just read from the script or say the first thing that comes into their heads.

PS - What other proof out of interest - birth certificate?
Birth certificate, naturalisation/registration certificate, expired British passport, NZ passport showing UK birthplace, your accent etc.

Once again. Arriving without a valid UK passport is not recommended, you may have problems with the airline, and you will probably be hassled/delayed on arrival. But I have never heard of a British citizen being refused entry.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are countless examples of shockingly bad advice given out by so-called "helplines". Most of the people answering these phones have not even a fraction of the training required to answer anything other than the simplest questions. Of course it gets worse when instead of saying "I don't know" they just read from the script or say the first thing that comes into their heads.

Birth certificate, naturalisation/registration certificate, expired British passport, NZ passport showing UK birthplace, your accent etc.

Once again. Arriving without a valid UK passport is not recommended, you may have problems with the airline, and you will probably be hassled/delayed on arrival. But I have never heard of a British citizen being refused entry.

Cheers for that.

I had visions of immigration not believing the authenticity of my accent
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wimsy
hey there, which suburb in Christchurch did you live in???
We are moving back home from christhurch soon and cat wait.....hate it here.
Hi Wimsy

We lived in Madrass Street first. That is just of the road where those two poor kids were killed when that strret gathering went wrong. Then we had a brief and very noisey stay on Bealey Ave. Then we moved again to Shirley.

Our son went to Shirley intermediate school. He hated it. It was very rough.

I know what you mean, i hated the area also. Where abouts are you in Christchurch and how long have you been there? As you've read i moved to the North Island to try and make a go off NZ, but it's just not for me. Have you thought of trying somewhere else in NZ. It may make all the difference for you.

I'd be very interested to hear your reasons for going home. I hope it's not been too awful for you. When do you plan to be home? I can't wait to be back in Shropshire. Where abouts in the world are you from.

Tillergirl